Talk to me about RWS brass

Calvin45

Hi all, I just picked up a bunch of once fired brass in various calibers from an auction…including about 150 30-06 casings I plan to form to 8x57 Mauser.

I noticed 20 of them are RWS brand. Still gonna use them regardless, but just curious if this is in fact something special. Scouring the internet I find some that say it's overrated, some that say it's cheap, some that say it shouldn't be reloaded at all (I have no idea where the hell that idea would come from though, it's plainly boxer primed rifle brass), some that say it's on the same level as lapua, Peterson, adg….and some that go so far as to say that it's superior to all, the best brass on this planet.

Anyone with any real experience with it care to comment?

I've been running RWS brass in a .308 for several years. I came across a large lot and thought I would try it out.

My experience has been;

Great brass, hides pressure because it's thick and tough.

Pressures up faster than most domestic brass because it's thicker and has less case capacity.

RWS is good brass. A lot less common than others.

But, I would not use multiple headstamped brass in a rifle. Pick one and stick with it. Don't mix and match unless it is just for plinking and you plan to run a mild load. Mixing different brass can cause all kinds of issues.
Oh honestly this particular rifle doesn't get any max power handloads nor do I spend much time chasing smaller groups. It's a sweet old husqvarna m98 with iron sights, i do just feed it mixed headstamp middle of the road loads with whatever soft points are cheapest (PPU 196 grain at present) and have some uncomplicated fun with it 😁). But I might still set this stuff aside if I ever do try doing something more special with it, and on account of what Hand Skills said about it being of notably lesser capacity.

It's great brass, I may be wrong, but S&B is also made by RWS. I had 500 pieces of RWS for my 6.5x55 Swede. It lasted many loadings.

Cheers.