Talk to me about Wildcats

I did a 243AI as well and didn't see much gain, Did You? and I will 3rd the addicting part of the equation
I agree there wasn't a huge gain. I knew that going in from Ackley's book but I only ever recall trimming one Ackley case out of the thousands Ive loaded and it was a tack driver. The biggest gain was with the 250 Savage AI, 257 AI, and 7x57 AI. In fact, Im beginning load development work this week on my 257 AI with Hammer 92 gr HH as I leave Barnes by the roadside. The 257 was a tack driver with barnes 100 tsx. I had an old Mauser 98 action that I sent to Hart for a barrel and had them true it and lap the lugs and its an awesome rifle now. They also did my 243ai.

I agree there wasn't a huge gain. I knew that going in from Ackley's book but I only ever recall trimming one Ackley case out of the thousands Ive loaded and it was a tack driver. The biggest gain was with the 250 Savage AI, 257 AI, and 7x57 AI. In fact, Im beginning load development work this week on my 257 AI with Hammer 92 gr HH as I leave Barnes by the roadside. The 257 was a tack driver with barnes 100 tsx. I had an old Mauser 98 action that I sent to Hart for a barrel and had them true it and lap the lugs and its an awesome rifle now. They also did my 243ai.
The 92's are screaming out of my 25-06 AI and I agree, The No trim Brass was worth the AI'ing on the 243

I've been wondering how much i would gain by doing this as well. I don't have a great explanation on why I wanna do it but I do and I have full intention on giving it a shot. I've always wanted to build some type of ackley and I love the short fat cases (saum, wsm, the Sherman line, etc). This way I can combine both and satisfy my curiosity
You already know where I stand. Gains are more than an increase in velocity.

ADDED: I originally wanted to build .300 RUM, but at the time, brass was nowhere to be found. So, I did the next best thing, .30 LARA, and comes close to .300 RUM performance. With a hydraulic forming die from John Whidden, I can use the following brass; 8MM RM, 7MM STW, .375 H&H, .300 H&H, .416 RM, .358 STA still able to shoot .300 WBTY and .300 Jarrett (very pricey) factory ammo in a pinch.

Last edited:
Yeah, if your focus is on velocity, let's say over a 260, then you could just step up cartridge capacities to 6.5x284. 6.5-06, or 264wm, etc.
But none of that is, or about, improving.

True improving begins with a specific bullet, and building a cartridge through entire system around it.
This, with considerations more broad than single attributes, as no single thing amounts to improvement while it compromised another.

If I consider 260 -vs- 260AI, it's not MV that I would choose 260AI for.
It would be result potentials scored across a table that compelled me to go that direction.
An overall improvement.
If you scored cartridges bigger/smaller, this brass/or that, small/large primer, sizing/trimming need, powders available, bullets available, barrel lengths, gun weights, use range, etc., you may find that one cartridge stands out as best for the bullet. And that cartridge is not a factory offering. You will have to make it. A wildcat.

Last edited:
Yeah, if your focus is on velocity, let's say over a 260, then you could just step up cartridge capacities to 6.5x284. 6.5-06, or 264wm, etc.
But none of that is, or about, improving.

True improving begins with a specific bullet, and building a cartridge through entire system around it.
This, with considerations more broad than single attributes, as no single thing amounts to improvement while it compromised another.

If I consider 260 -vs- 260AI, it's not MV that I would choose 260AI for.
It would be result potentials scored across a table that compelled me to go that direction.
An overall improvement.
If you scored cartridges bigger/smaller, this brass/or that, small/large primer, sizing/trimming need, powders available, bullets available, barrel lengths, gun weights, use range, etc., you may find that one cartridge stands out as best for the cal. And that cartridge is not a factory offering. You will have to make it. A wildcat.
Thanks Mike, I'm not purely looking for a velocity gain, I was just saying I don't know how much of an improvement there would be in that area. I am curious though. Yeah I picked this around the 133 Berger & I believe H4350 & possibly H4831sc. I have more of those two than anything else & I think I'm right in the ballpark of what would work best for this cartridge.

I think you're on the right track.
The WSSM is pretty good as it is. Really good capacity for that cal & bullet weight. Your powder notions could work out perfect.
Improving the case/gun build for the case, would mean improving longevity. Accuracy in the long run and investment return.
Whatever you learn in the endeavor will be worth a lot. Your reloading will advance.