Tag Soup Wyoming Unit 10

HOWLM IN

Well I'm finally going to post how our elk hunt went, it's been hard to get the taste out of my mouth of that tag I brought home with me. (Small amount of humor)

It was me and my dad's first elk hunt ever to start off. It was a guided hunt on private ground through an Outfitter. We hunted October the 15th through the 20th. We saw some elk way off the first morning, the weather was Cool and windy the first morning. We had a decent sounding game plan for the evening hunt and boy was I exited to go after them. We sat my dad in a pretty good spot and off we went after the herd we saw that morning. Around 30 minutes before dark we see the herd come out of the timber around 800 yards away, there was a really nice 6x6 in there but we didn't have enough time to get closer so we just watched them until it got dark and quietly left.

The next morning we walked in from a different way to get back up with the herd, really windy 40+ mph wind. All we saw was a lost calf that morning. By lunch time on Monday it was getting warm and still windy. Monday evening was a bust my dad nor I saw anything which was fine, we are still early in the hunt.

My dad on Tuesday evening killed a decent 5x5 which was great we were on the board. Me on the other hand walked a tremendous amount with our guide and didn't see anything. Still really windy and warm.

The last elk that I saw the rest of the trip was that calf on Monday morning, I was heartbroken. My guide finally admitted to me that if there wasn't snow to push the elk down off the mountains he wasn't that good at hunting them. Also we never tried to get out of the wind or heat, to me that's hunting 101 no matter what you are hunting. But what do I know I'm not an elk hunter.

We had $7,105 a piece in this hunt, not that spending a lot of money will give you results but I would think it would have been a little better. I have been a hunter all my life and know you can't have perfect conditions all the time but in my opinion you should make the best of the weather you have been given and I knew going in it wasn't a guaranteed kill but I would have thought it would have been better than it was.

In the end I'm thankful for being able to go and do something with my dad we have always dreamed of doing together. We saw some beautiful country and had a good time. But this tag soup taste awful still.

I could keep going about the weather and the guide but I had to get some of this off my chest to some guys on here that maybe would understand. LOL
Happy Hunting.

Sorry you were not able to get on a bull. Sometimes that's the way it goes. Other times times you expect the guide to make the difference. Were there other hunters in camp? if so how did they do? Did your dad and you have separate guides or was it 2X1? If separate did his guide help you after he filled out? What company did you hunt with? Bruce

Hunting is never a guaranty, but with that said, one would think you would at least see more elk and have opportunities on a $7,100 guided hunt. But note, we the consumer need to do our homework....check references, obtain/validate opportunity/kill statistics, confirm guiding license is in good standing with DF&G, etc........you don't always get what you pay for, especially if you don't do your homework. I'm in no way saying you didn't do your homework BTW. Sometimes the animals just don't cooperate. That operation could have had a legitimate 100% opportunity the last 4 years, but maybe this year was an off year.......only way to know is by doing your homework.

We all know there are no guarantees in this sport. In guided hunts, as much as we are looking to harvest a great animal, what we are really paying for is a great experience/adventure. Unfortunately not all outfitters will give live up to this experience. In a round about way I introduced Len Backus to my outfitter Non-Typical Outfitters and he and our fellow LRH members have been having some really good hunts over the last 5 or so years. If you get another opportunity to go guided, use these hunts which are described in these forums as references. They are a little less expensive but lots of effortgoes into creating a memorable experience for you. Much luck to you in the future.

Hunting is what it is, but if you paid $7100 each for a guided hunt on a private ranch it is MHO that the guide wasn't any good and/or the place holds few elk at that time of year or both. The hunting up in the BigHorns was also very slow this year and we saw only a small fraction of the hundreds we normally see every day and we hunted the entire 3 week October season. It appears the elk just were not down yet to the 7,000' elevation where we hunt due to the very warm Fall. That said, 1 resident friend took a nice bull with his bow in September and 2 resident friends that had bull tags filled them the first week of the rifle season. The resident friend I hunt with every year only had a cow tag and we didn't see a cow within 3 miles of where we hunt, but he has until just before Christmas to fill it and probably will as the weather sets in out there like it is this week.

That sucks but I must admit, hearing how bad your $7,000 guided/private tag cost doesn't make my $1,100 public land tags taste any better.:D

Sounds like you needed to do more research. 10 is a crap area in my opinion and has been for decades. If you were stuck on the Snowies, I would've looked at area 12 or 125.

You might've needed to get a another point or two, but for $5k - $6k for an outfitted hunt, there are much better areas and options in Wyoming. Sorry it didn't work out...

Well I'm finally going to post how our elk hunt went, it's been hard to get the taste out of my mouth of that tag I brought home with me. (Small amount of humor)

It was me and my dad's first elk hunt ever to start off. It was a guided hunt on private ground through an Outfitter. We hunted October the 15th through the 20th. We saw some elk way off the first morning, the weather was Cool and windy the first morning. We had a decent sounding game plan for the evening hunt and boy was I exited to go after them. We sat my dad in a pretty good spot and off we went after the herd we saw that morning. Around 30 minutes before dark we see the herd come out of the timber around 800 yards away, there was a really nice 6x6 in there but we didn't have enough time to get closer so we just watched them until it got dark and quietly left.

The next morning we walked in from a different way to get back up with the herd, really windy 40+ mph wind. All we saw was a lost calf that morning. By lunch time on Monday it was getting warm and still windy. Monday evening was a bust my dad nor I saw anything which was fine, we are still early in the hunt.

My dad on Tuesday evening killed a decent 5x5 which was great we were on the board. Me on the other hand walked a tremendous amount with our guide and didn't see anything. Still really windy and warm.

The last elk that I saw the rest of the trip was that calf on Monday morning, I was heartbroken. My guide finally admitted to me that if there wasn't snow to push the elk down off the mountains he wasn't that good at hunting them. Also we never tried to get out of the wind or heat, to me that's hunting 101 no matter what you are hunting. But what do I know I'm not an elk hunter.

We had $7,105 a piece in this hunt, not that spending a lot of money will give you results but I would think it would have been a little better. I have been a hunter all my life and know you can't have perfect conditions all the time but in my opinion you should make the best of the weather you have been given and I knew going in it wasn't a guaranteed kill but I would have thought it would have been better than it was.

In the end I'm thankful for being able to go and do something with my dad we have always dreamed of doing together. We saw some beautiful country and had a good time. But this tag soup taste awful still.

I could keep going about the weather and the guide but I had to get some of this off my chest to some guys on here that maybe would understand. LOL
Happy Hunting.
I live in Unit 10 and it is a very hard unit to hunt! There are good bulls here and when weather is dry and hot like we had all season it can be miserable! I have a good idea who you hunted with and they would never be my choice! We have significantly higher number of hunters in this unit than were here 10 years ago but still several 280 to 330 bulls are taken every year! It is less accessible thank to forest service than it was years ago! Bow hunters do well but rifle comes way too late for the rut and weather is always a factor! As a resident we have a significantly better options with a general tag than most states! This is a good unit as are surrounding units if you just draw a general tag and esp if you bow hunt! Like always do your homework!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.