Wyoming elk unit 100

First off congrats on the tag. Elk hunting is so much fun. Heed the advice of others on this forum. Don't put a great deal of pressure on yourself and to high of expectations and ruin the hunt. Make sure you get there at least a couple of days in advance of the opener. Have a plan on where you plan to hunt in the area and start your scouting a couple days prior. Buy the best spotting scope you can afford as not will be your best friend in this type of hunting. I personally feel opening day is the best chance at a great bull especially when you are hunting out of state and only have so many days to hunt. The elk haven't been shot at and they are not so spooky. Understand that you are not Hunting on private property and so you may not be the only one spotting the bull you have located. If things go south on the first one, try again, sounds like there is no shortage of elk in this area. Enjoy the moment and the experience. Take a bull that makes you happy regardless of the score. I have taken many bulls over the years and my favorite is a 270" bull I shot with my bow. The experience was second to none. I have a 362" bull on the wall also just for reference. More importantly take someone with you to share the experience and all of the hard work of getting and elk out of the field. If you can't find someone to go along try to hire a local packer to get it out for you. Getting a bull elk out of the field is a big chore and if you have a bad back you may not be able to get it out by yourself. Just remember to enjoy the entire experience and best of luck.

First off congrats on the tag. Elk hunting is so much fun. Heed the advice of others on this forum. Don't put a great deal of pressure on yourself and to high of expectations and ruin the hunt. Make sure you get there at least a couple of days in advance of the opener. Have a plan on where you plan to hunt in the area and start your scouting a couple days prior. Buy the best spotting scope you can afford as not will be your best friend in this type of hunting. I personally feel opening day is the best chance at a great bull especially when you are hunting out of state and only have so many days to hunt. The elk haven't been shot at and they are not so spooky. Understand that you are not Hunting on private property and so you may not be the only one spotting the bull you have located. If things go south on the first one, try again, sounds like there is no shortage of elk in this area. Enjoy the moment and the experience. Take a bull that makes you happy regardless of the score. I have taken many bulls over the years and my favorite is a 270" bull I shot with my bow. The experience was second to none. I have a 362" bull on the wall also just for reference. More importantly take someone with you to share the experience and all of the hard work of getting and elk out of the field. If you can't find someone to go along try to hire a local packer to get it out for you. Getting a bull elk out of the field is a big chore and if you have a bad back you may not be able to get it out by yourself. Just remember to enjoy the entire experience and best of luck.
Well... Just back from my hunt. Great time. Did a little scouting the week before and found a few animals. Opening morning had 2 bulls around 300 yards from the road. One very broken and another smaller bull. Found another small herd a bit after that and a large herd probably 2-3 miles away that afternoon. Way too late to do anything and found a small herd much closer - put them to bed for the next morning and slept in the Explorer.

The next morning I couldn't find the herd but did find a single elk maybe 1/2 mile from the road. I walked along the road to stay in the ditch (stay hidden) and tried to sneak up on it but couldn't locate the elk again. About 20 minutes later I did see a heard near another road 3-4 miles away. I could see the elk silhouettes and a truck pull up near them - the elk took of running and I assumed my hunt was over.

Probably 20 minutes later thought I heard a bugle and then heard a bunch of coyotes howling. I figured I had just heard coyotes. I started walking back to the truck and could have sworn I heard another bugle. Waited a bit and glassed - saw a cow and calf trot over the ridge and then heard a bugle for sure. 20 seconds later saw the bull. For the next 30 minutes I watched a herd of 30 elk gather below me The bull bugled a number of times and walked back and forth below me probably 800 yards away. Too far for a shot and too open to sneak in closer but an awesome show for sure.

A second bull was taking up the rear and bugled only a few times - he clearly had a deeper growl in his bugle. I angled for him and watched him and the herd get closer - he got to a small bluff around 650 yards away and I debated taking a shot but opted to wait. I then saw 2 trucks a few miles away heading my way. I willed them not to come my way but to no avail. They passed by me and spooked the herd - the herd crossed the road about 1/2 mile from me and the trucks took off to cut them off. Needless to say I assumed my hunt was over.

As I contemplated what just occurred I didn't remember seeing the 2nd larger bull follow the heard but I couldn't locate him. I had nothing to loose and ended up heading down the hill and brush got very thick - found a ditch 8'-9' deep and a ton of elk sign. An elk could literally walk that ditch and never be seen. I spent an hour in the brush and walked that ditch/brush. As I did so, the elk I had never seen leave jumped up from along the ditch and I shot him and 20 yards as he jumped up and spun. The bullet was high and hit him in the spine. He hit the ground and tried to get back up and shot him a second time. The hunt was over and I head my first elk down.

7 hours later the bull was in the back of the Explorer and I was worn out. My first elk and awesome hunt...

Attachments

• Elk 1.jpg
    Elk 1.jpg
    654.5 KB · Views: 500
  • Elk 2.jpg
    Elk 2.jpg
    588.2 KB · Views: 463
  • Elk.jpg
    Elk.jpg
    614.2 KB · Views: 479
Well... Just back from my hunt. Great time. Did a little scouting the week before and found a few animals. Opening morning had 2 bulls around 300 yards from the road. One very broken and another smaller bull. Found another small herd a bit after that and a large herd probably 2-3 miles away that afternoon. Way too late to do anything and found a small herd much closer - put them to bed for the next morning and slept in the Explorer.

The next morning I couldn't find the herd but did find a single elk maybe 1/2 mile from the road. I walked along the road to stay in the ditch (stay hidden) and tried to sneak up on it but couldn't locate the elk again. About 20 minutes later I did see a heard near another road 3-4 miles away. I could see the elk silhouettes and a truck pull up near them - the elk took of running and I assumed my hunt was over.

Probably 20 minutes later thought I heard a bugle and then heard a bunch of coyotes howling. I figured I had just heard coyotes. I started walking back to the truck and could have sworn I heard another bugle. Waited a bit and glassed - saw a cow and calf trot over the ridge and then heard a bugle for sure. 20 seconds later saw the bull. For the next 30 minutes I watched a herd of 30 elk gather below me The bull bugled a number of times and walked back and forth below me probably 800 yards away. Too far for a shot and too open to sneak in closer but an awesome show for sure.

A second bull was taking up the rear and bugled only a few times - he clearly had a deeper growl in his bugle. I angled for him and watched him and the herd get closer - he got to a small bluff around 650 yards away and I debated taking a shot but opted to wait. I then saw 2 trucks a few miles away heading my way. I willed them not to come my way but to no avail. They passed by me and spooked the herd - the herd crossed the road about 1/2 mile from me and the trucks took off to cut them off. Needless to say I assumed my hunt was over.

As I contemplated what just occurred I didn't remember seeing the 2nd larger bull follow the heard but I couldn't locate him. I had nothing to loose and ended up heading down the hill and brush got very thick - found a ditch 8'-9' deep and a ton of elk sign. An elk could literally walk that ditch and never be seen. I spent an hour in the brush and walked that ditch/brush. As I did so, the elk I had never seen leave jumped up from along the ditch and I shot him and 20 yards as he jumped up and spun. The bullet was high and hit him in the spine. He hit the ground and tried to get back up and shot him a second time. The hunt was over and I head my first elk down.

7 hours later the bull was in the back of the Explorer and I was worn out. My first elk and awesome hunt...
What a great story. Happy that you were successful even though you had some unfortunate competition.

Congratulations!

Unit 100 has been my dream hunt for years. I've been on that unit numerous times hunting antelope. I marveled at seeing elk out in the sagebrush flats. I figured if I ever drew out my shot opportunities would be long.

That you got an opportunity at such a short range is remarkable. Did you have a low power option on your scope?

And walking that arroyo was a savvy decision.

Congratulations!

Unit 100 has been my dream hunt for years. I've been on that unit numerous times hunting antelope. I marveled at seeing elk out in the sagebrush flats. I figured if I ever drew out my shot opportunities would be long.

That you got an opportunity at such a short range is remarkable. Did you have a low power option on your scope?

And walking that arroyo was a savvy decision.
I always keep the scope on the lowest power - I've been burned before. The scope is 4x12x44 - I was worried about 12 being too little but guess I shouldn't have been. Of course the likelihood of such a short shot on another large elk in that open country may not be very strong.