Wyoming elk unit 100

Depends on how much pressure they see opening day, if nobody patterns them prior to opening day they won't move unless they want to... I'd recommend scout 2 days before season, hope you find them early light or sunset, and keep watching until you can shoot, other hunters will do the same, so it will be a crap shoot soon as season opens... but, remember it's a huge area, lots of places to look, literally they will appear and disappear in the sage brush and drainages.. remember early mornings and evenings they move most.. If they get shot at they will likely move quite a ways its open country. I suggest you are good at shooting distance, and have good glass to spot with... you can spend hours looking around with glass and a high vantage point. Long before you have to start hiking. Seems they like shade during the day and water sources so remember that you are hunting a desert. I regularly see ELK, Deer, and Antelope in these areas. You can see for miles from a hill. You have drawn a great area take it all in and don't shoot a little ELK there are GREAT elk in this area... Potential to shoot a 300" plus bull I'd say is likely! Stay mobile and don't get discouraged! Scouting earlier in the year will only confuse you they move year round. Just two weeks ago I saw groups of ELK in the middle of the night spread along a county road for miles... a few here a few there... I was BLOWN away how many ELK spread along that road... in groups of 4-8 here and there..

Last edited:
Well TENHunter, I can see you are clearly concerned and nervous about this hunt, so I think you should just sign that tag over to me and I'll take my chances, and then I'll let you know how it went. LOL! Just kidding. I can say from past experience, just do your homework on the area as much as you can and HAVE FUN. Good luck.

Very much appreciate the offer :) I like to be prepared and as I'm not able to head that way this summer to take a look trying to gather as much info as I can... Feels like similar to trying to explain the color red - you just need to see it for yourself...

Don't get frustrated they will move here and there... you just need to be able to SPOT them in a spotting scope, its challenging if you don't know what you are looking for... I'd suggest you find any road and drive around and try to find them early or late day, any road in the desert is prime! Seriously, I have seen herds driving i-80. most people don't look long enough usually... if you have a couple hunting buddies have them help you glass! or split up and glass separately... The sunrises & sunsets are world class! Watch out for cactus, and rattlesnakes you don't want to sit/step on either. Cactus more likely than rattlesnakes......

Last edited:
Here is a little motivation....this was taken between Rock springs and Farson on the main highway, during season after a hunt up in Boulder. There were 9 bulls I saw in this group, this guy was in the middle of the pack size wise, but was the only one that I had time to snap a picture of.

Screenshot_20200728-091812_Messenger.jpg
Screenshot_20200728-091928_Messenger.jpg

It is so strange to see lots of elk in the middle of the desert, seems like they are lost, but they are always there. One of our dream hunts!

Last year I read a funny post, and I don't even remember which forum.it was on.

The guy said:

"Start driving at one end of the unit, and see if you can get to the middle without shooting one."

It's funny cause it's darn near true.

The most important part is don't put a bunch of stupid pressure on yourself.

You won a free hunt in elk hunting Disneyland. Enjoy the @#$% out of it.

If you drew a goveners tag it should be good for any open unit and season in the state. I know unit 100 is a grat tag but there are a few others just as good or better. dont stress over it you will have an awsome hunt enjoy the whole experience. good luck we want to see the pictures when done. also dont shoot anything less than 300" should be very obtainalbe with that tag

I admit I debated on the location. I'll be hunting on my own as I'm losing my hunting partner (daughter) to college in August and have had a couple back surgeries so that is a bit of a factor. I've also never shot an elk so will do my best in holding out :)