Wyoming Elk Unit 58

D
Elk hunt update: Just returned from an uneventful 3 days on my once in a lifetime elk hunt. disappointing at best. Should you plan on ever hunting elk in Wyoming, learn from my mistakes. Unit 58 comprised mostly of one ranch that charges $1000 for access for anyone with a bull tag. I paid that, I mean, heck, only 35 bull tags, right? The ranch told me only approx 15 trespass permits would likely be sold. I should have done more homework. Ranch and surrounding area also an HMA that allows free access to 200 cow elk and doe antelope hunters. Seasons for these run past the end of elk season. Hunters on every ridge. 15 of 18 that I talked with saw no elk, no tracks in the new snow, heard no bugles. I was one of the lucky ones..............3 days on horseback.....saw one elk. As I said, do your homework, it being difficult in Wyom as elk, deer and lope units not numbered the same. Probably better units and better places to spend a grand, but will try again later in the season and make it happen. Hope all other elk hunters having a GREAT hunt.....FWB
Don't feel bad Iv lived in western Montana for ten years and never killed a elk.

If you can afford it go with an outfitter and go as late in hunt as possible. If your a horse or mule guy then you could hunt down by the 58/61 border which is national forest but there is a lot of private ground in unit 58. If you need an outfitter recommendation pm me.
two of us have 15 points each. We are 72 and 74 years old. I have trouble riding a horse but am very active and can hike etc. Looking for a recommendation for an outfitter. Sorry to be so late about this but need to get our application in today..