Wyoming elk unit 100

Well... Just back from my hunt. Great time. Did a little scouting the week before and found a few animals. Opening morning had 2 bulls around 300 yards from the road. One very broken and another smaller bull. Found another small herd a bit after that and a large herd probably 2-3 miles away that afternoon. Way too late to do anything and found a small herd much closer - put them to bed for the next morning and slept in the Explorer.

The next morning I couldn't find the herd but did find a single elk maybe 1/2 mile from the road. I walked along the road to stay in the ditch (stay hidden) and tried to sneak up on it but couldn't locate the elk again. About 20 minutes later I did see a heard near another road 3-4 miles away. I could see the elk silhouettes and a truck pull up near them - the elk took of running and I assumed my hunt was over.

Probably 20 minutes later thought I heard a bugle and then heard a bunch of coyotes howling. I figured I had just heard coyotes. I started walking back to the truck and could have sworn I heard another bugle. Waited a bit and glassed - saw a cow and calf trot over the ridge and then heard a bugle for sure. 20 seconds later saw the bull. For the next 30 minutes I watched a herd of 30 elk gather below me The bull bugled a number of times and walked back and forth below me probably 800 yards away. Too far for a shot and too open to sneak in closer but an awesome show for sure.

A second bull was taking up the rear and bugled only a few times - he clearly had a deeper growl in his bugle. I angled for him and watched him and the herd get closer - he got to a small bluff around 650 yards away and I debated taking a shot but opted to wait. I then saw 2 trucks a few miles away heading my way. I willed them not to come my way but to no avail. They passed by me and spooked the herd - the herd crossed the road about 1/2 mile from me and the trucks took off to cut them off. Needless to say I assumed my hunt was over.

As I contemplated what just occurred I didn't remember seeing the 2nd larger bull follow the heard but I couldn't locate him. I had nothing to loose and ended up heading down the hill and brush got very thick - found a ditch 8'-9' deep and a ton of elk sign. An elk could literally walk that ditch and never be seen. I spent an hour in the brush and walked that ditch/brush. As I did so, the elk I had never seen leave jumped up from along the ditch and I shot him and 20 yards as he jumped up and spun. The bullet was high and hit him in the spine. He hit the ground and tried to get back up and shot him a second time. The hunt was over and I head my first elk down.

7 hours later the bull was in the back of the Explorer and I was worn out. My first elk and awesome hunt...
**** man sorry I missed all of this earlier. Congratulations on a job well done! Way to make a plan and stick with it! No better feeling in the world then when a good plans ends up with a big rack and a freezer full of meat. Very nice bull!

That's awesome. I had shot a handful of small elk before I killed my first big bull. I was solo and was still awestruck at how big the body was when when I first walked up on him. Having never killed an elk at all, I can only imagine what you were thinking when you rolled up on that guy solo. lol Great bull and great story/ Thank you for the follow up, those are about as rare as your tag!!

Well... Just back from my hunt. Great time. Did a little scouting the week before and found a few animals. Opening morning had 2 bulls around 300 yards from the road. One very broken and another smaller bull. Found another small herd a bit after that and a large herd probably 2-3 miles away that afternoon. Way too late to do anything and found a small herd much closer - put them to bed for the next morning and slept in the Explorer.

The next morning I couldn't find the herd but did find a single elk maybe 1/2 mile from the road. I walked along the road to stay in the ditch (stay hidden) and tried to sneak up on it but couldn't locate the elk again. About 20 minutes later I did see a heard near another road 3-4 miles away. I could see the elk silhouettes and a truck pull up near them - the elk took of running and I assumed my hunt was over.

Probably 20 minutes later thought I heard a bugle and then heard a bunch of coyotes howling. I figured I had just heard coyotes. I started walking back to the truck and could have sworn I heard another bugle. Waited a bit and glassed - saw a cow and calf trot over the ridge and then heard a bugle for sure. 20 seconds later saw the bull. For the next 30 minutes I watched a herd of 30 elk gather below me The bull bugled a number of times and walked back and forth below me probably 800 yards away. Too far for a shot and too open to sneak in closer but an awesome show for sure.

A second bull was taking up the rear and bugled only a few times - he clearly had a deeper growl in his bugle. I angled for him and watched him and the herd get closer - he got to a small bluff around 650 yards away and I debated taking a shot but opted to wait. I then saw 2 trucks a few miles away heading my way. I willed them not to come my way but to no avail. They passed by me and spooked the herd - the herd crossed the road about 1/2 mile from me and the trucks took off to cut them off. Needless to say I assumed my hunt was over.

As I contemplated what just occurred I didn't remember seeing the 2nd larger bull follow the heard but I couldn't locate him. I had nothing to loose and ended up heading down the hill and brush got very thick - found a ditch 8'-9' deep and a ton of elk sign. An elk could literally walk that ditch and never be seen. I spent an hour in the brush and walked that ditch/brush. As I did so, the elk I had never seen leave jumped up from along the ditch and I shot him and 20 yards as he jumped up and spun. The bullet was high and hit him in the spine. He hit the ground and tried to get back up and shot him a second time. The hunt was over and I head my first elk down.

7 hours later the bull was in the back of the Explorer and I was worn out. My first elk and awesome hunt...
Great write up and thanks for sharing. A good hunt with lots of ups and downs and nice ending.

Recent Posts