Swift Scirocco VS Nosler Accubond & Elk

K.E.C I guess I need to try some.Not bashing them.I have had such good success with Accubonds I didn't try them.My brother tried the old original Sirocco's and gave them away.That's why they came out with the Sirocco II.They fixed the shedding of the thin jacket and from all accounts it's a great bullet now.

Several years ago I talked to Bill Hober (president of Swift) and asked about using the Scirocco on elk. As I recall, his response was that an elk was the largest animal it should be used on and the feeling was that it really wasn't built for elk, but smaller critters. At longer ranges where it's slowed down a bit, it might be a better choice. I haven't shot the Scirocco, but my general understanding is that the Accubond will tend to hold together better. There is now the Scirocco II, I believe, and this redesigned bullet sounds like it may perform better on larger game than it's predecessor. Call Bill and ask him. Probably the better choice out of a factory 300 WM would be the 200 Accubond (AB) for elk. That should hold together better and hit with more authority if the powder is well matched to the bullet and rifle than either of the 180's mentioned. Good luck!
This is just the opposite of my experience. The Scirocco on large hogs has been a much tougher bullet than the Accubond.

This is just the opposite of my experience. The Scirocco on large hogs has been a much tougher bullet than the Accubond.
I agree, I thought they were stronger.
Weatherby thinks so also. They use them in every caliber, with Great results.
Yes the first Scirocco was not very good, they make correction to the bullet, and I think the bonding wholed up very well.
This is my experience with them, been using them for over 20 years. 🤓

I agree, I thought they were stronger.
Weatherby thinks so also. They use them in every caliber, with Great results.
Yes the first Scirocco was not very good, they make correction to the bullet, and I think the bonding wholed up very well.
This is my experience with them, been using them for over 20 years. 🤓
I just acquired some for the first time, 130 grain .270 calibers. Too many bullets to test and not enough game animals or time.

I just acquired some for the first time, 130 grain .270 calibers. Too many bullets to test and not enough game animals or time.
In some guns, they can be finicky.
I try them close to the lands first. If they don't look good right off, I back them up .50 and might need .100 . And they like to be ran fast. In my experience.

In some guns, they can be finicky.
I try them close to the lands first. If they don't look good right off, I back them up .50 and might need .100 . And they like to be ran fast. In my experience.
That's what I hear. I understand they're more a pure copper jacket than gilding metal. I do have experience with federal trophy bonded tips and Barnes x bullets which can be similarly finicky and also like to be ran hard in my experience.

I am going to hbn treat these first. In my experience hex boron nitride makes literally everything less finicky and sensitive, or at worst it does nothing. It has never had a negative effect on that and many times has a positive one.

Honestly will probably let them jump from the get go and fiddle with depth if I'm unhappy. But just start at magazine length and go

Where do they build 250# Whitetail
They're all over Iowa. Tons of 250 pound whitetail bucks, and just as many 200 pound does. I've been hunting them for 50 years here, and couldn't even begin to count them all. Seem a few that were 275-300 pounds as well over the years, but I've not been so lucky as to take one. Seen em', just haven't shot one.

Calvin45 please let me know your results.I have a Winchester 70 I bought 10 or 11 years ago,broke it in,loaded some 130 gr Barnes and shot a super tight group,cleaned it and have not shot it since.
I prefer 130 gr and would be willing to try the Scirocco's to see if I'm missing something.

I have used both but only in the 6.5 PRC and a 6.5 x 284. I had great results with the 140 grain Accubond in New Zealand on Red Stag, Tahr, Sheep and Hogs this year. All one shot kills out to 487 yards. Unbelievably the only animal that took the bullet and ran with it, 40 yards, was the hog. Everyting else died either right where they were shot or made it 20-30 feet and flipped over. I also have a friend who only shoots the 160 AB in his 7mm STW and he kills elk at very long ranges every year with it. Very long being a relative term, 700-800 yards. I have only taken a few antelope with the 130 gain Swift Scirocco, so no real world experience with it on elk sized game.

I have a buddy that is loading the Berger 205gr Elite Hunter in his 300WM. He shot an elk with that load the first year we worked it up. He shot a bear with it this spring as well. He was telling me he needs to find something less damaging than that combo for deer and bears. I'd say that combo is working out pretty dang good for him. He was set on shooting a 180gr bullet when he got it, but I talked him out of it since he got a magnum for magnum performance and if he wanted to shoot 180s that's what he had his 30-06 for. My brother in-law and another friend shoot the 165gr AccuBonds out of their 30-06 for elk and deer, they have both had good success with that combo as well. I wouldn't think you'd have any issues with a 180gr AccuBond out of the 300WM, but I'd personally go heavier.