SWFA SS 10x42 & Weaver 4-20x50 Tactical

Bkknupp

I know these are two different scopes, but I have narrowed my choices for a long range scope to these two. I am really only considering the Weaver because I have found a decent deal on a used one. If you guys could just give me your take on these two it would be great. I plan to use it on a 700 5R .308 for long range target and tactical style shooting . This will not primarily be a hunting optic. Thanks.

I have the SWFA 10x on my 700 5R, and I have been impressed with it. Especially for the price. It is clear and tough and the turrets track accurately. Mine is the mil/mil setup and I like it. Can't give you any input on the Weaver since I've never used one.

I am a firm believer in the SS; I now own 5. I have one on a Remington LTR 20" and it works perfect. The most important thing to me is how reliably the scope performs. The SS always returns to zero and it has always performed for me. It is the best scope for the money.

I have a ss 5-20x50. I would choose the Weaver for the versatility of the 5-20. I have read alot of good things about that scope for the $

The weaver tactical is a great scope but so is the ss. For long range youll want the higher magnification. Personally on a 308 I think a 10x fixed is a good fit. I like fixed power scopes because they are simple and strong but the variable makes life nicer.

The weaver will let you get more precise for long range. The SS fixed 10 will be more of a "tactical" scope where if you run out of ammo you can pull the scope off and use it as a club, then put it back on and not worry about it

i have had a 16X ss, and 2 different 10X ones, and i honestly don't think you can find a better scope for the money. one of my 10Xs was on an AR, but the 16X was replaced by the other 10X on a 7mmRM that has been shot a bunch, and none of them have ever hiccupped.

i agree on 10X being a great all-around fixed power.

i am not familiar with the particular weaver, but i have an older T10 that has been a fine scope, too.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.