SWFA SS 10 or 12x ?

Mitch Rapp

I think I have narrowed my decisions down to this...

I plan to mount it on a 300 Win, and I know a fixed power will give me issues up close. This will not be my only hunting rifle, I will mainly use it when the ranges will over 1-200 yards, and I will be shooting from a rest, whether that's a camera tripod or bipod on the rifle. So my question is should I just go with a fixed 10, or would a 12 be better? I know the fixed is less than ideal, it will be a fill in until I can get a 4-16 or 6-20 of respectable quality.

I'd go with the lower power.

I had one in a higher power and it was useless before sunrise, before sunset and when the side of the mountain facing me was shaded.

The small objective simply wouldn't pass enough light.

I never noted any problem with the scope out to 1500 yards during load workup and rock busting. Which seem to have been during the nicest part of the day.

When I went to the mountains it was a bust. Switched to the backup rig with a 4.5-14 Weaver Tactical and was a happy hunter.

I don't know whether you're talking the SuperSniper or the HD. Mine was an SS.

The 3-15 Super Sniper is really nice, you should take a looke at it. The fixed are nice but they do have their hold backs. Check out variable scopes.

Thanks, I was referring to the SS. Would love to get a variable but the budget won't allow it yet. The rifle will spend more time on the range than in the field for starters, hopefully I will spend a year with the fixed power doing load development and such then next year or the year after I will upgrade the optic.

My bad. Should have paid more attention to the title.:roll eyes:

I'd still opt for the 10X as we had one on a 270 Win for years and was plenty capable to well beyond the rifle's range which was about 725 or so.

On the 300 shooting 1K would be doable.

Don't have any experience with the 12 power SS. But if it's anything like the 10 power, it will be a jem. My buddy has the 10 power side focus and it's very nice for the money.

Thanks all, looks like I will go with the 10x unless I find some other deal on a used scope or something before Monday. Going to jump on the SWFA sale last minute if nothing pops up.

I'd go with the lower power.

I had one in a higher power and it was useless before sunrise, before sunset and when the side of the mountain facing me was shaded.

The small objective simply wouldn't pass enough light.

This!

I have used a fixed 10x on an issued weapon for several years. Up close is not idea but out past the 100-200 yards you mentioned it works. I've used them on a 7.62x51mm rifle to 1200 on a torso sized target and head shots past 800 and it works fine.

Also throw in your current budget, maybe someone can put you into a deal. Lots of sales going on.

This!

I have used a fixed 10x on an issued weapon for several years. Up close is not idea but out past the 100-200 yards you mentioned it works. I've used them on a 7.62x51mm rifle to 1200 on a torso sized target and head shots past 800 and it works fine.

Also throw in your current budget, maybe someone can put you into a deal. Lots of sales going on.

My budget is about $250. Buying the scope now, and with tax return I will get the rifle.

Get the 10x. It will take you as far as you need to go and the view will be significantly better. I have the 10x and the 16x. The 16x is fine for load development and daytime long range play but I prefer the 10x by factor of about 1000...

John

Mitch,

Went to SWFA and snooped around.

If they would have had this back in the day I'd most probably still have it.

Mil reticle Mil Turrets can't argue with that.

The extra 5 mils hold over is a huge plus.

SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope | SWFA

That is a heck of a deal on those scopes. Work your plan, you can always sell it later and recoup most of your dollars and upgrade. There are good used scopes being sold everyday.

I think I have narrowed my decisions down to this...

I plan to mount it on a 300 Win, and I know a fixed power will give me issues up close. This will not be my only hunting rifle, I will mainly use it when the ranges will over 1-200 yards, and I will be shooting from a rest, whether that's a camera tripod or bipod on the rifle. So my question is should I just go with a fixed 10, or would a 12 be better? I know the fixed is less than ideal, it will be a fill in until I can get a 4-16 or 6-20 of respectable quality.

My budget is about $250. Buying the scope now, and with tax return I will get the rifle.

Check out >>> Rifle Scopes, Sights, & Accessories| Primary Arms

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts