SWFA SS Scope for hunting?

The first 10X SS I bought is ok. I have another one with MIL/MIL. Not as good as the first and not real happy with it. Sent another back, wouldn't focus clearly at all. My cousin bought a 12x and it is better then all of them. I've looked through 4 of them and would say they have so/so clarity. No problems with adjustments on any of them.

Where the problem starts is when you want to return one. They told me to send it back and they would pay the freight. They had a different excuse each time I asked why not. Never got it. Make sure you get a return slip or you are out of luck. I can't see buying anything from them now. Way too much trouble.

Well the questions aint for nothing. I ordered a egw rail and a set of burris rings. I also put back some money for a swfa ss scope already. Im going to do my muzzleloader first bc that season will come b4 rifle where im at. I also got egw rails and burris rings ready to order for the 30-06. Ill bed the rail on both and have them ready b4 I am even able to order the scope. Swfa ss 10x going on the 30-06 and . Thinking a 6x for the muzzleloader but it might be over kill. I dont even know how far a muzzleloader can humanly kill a deer. But all this information you guys give me is great and its being used..

Thanks again
Rob

Well the questions aint for nothing. I ordered a egw rail and a set of burris rings. I also put back some money for a swfa ss scope already. Im going to do my muzzleloader first bc that season will come b4 rifle where im at. I also got egw rails and burris rings ready to order for the 30-06. Ill bed the rail on both and have them ready b4 I am even able to order the scope. Swfa ss 10x going on the 30-06 and . Thinking a 6x for the muzzleloader but it might be over kill. I dont even know how far a muzzleloader can humanly kill a deer. But all this information you guys give me is great and its being used..

Thanks again
Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
The first 10X SS I bought is ok. I have another one with MIL/MIL. Not as good as the first and not real happy with it. Sent another back, wouldn't focus clearly at all. My cousin bought a 12x and it is better then all of them. I've looked through 4 of them and would say they have so/so clarity. No problems with adjustments on any of them.

Where the problem starts is when you want to return one. They told me to send it back and they would pay the freight. They had a different excuse each time I asked why not. Never got it. Make sure you get a return slip or you are out of luck. I can't see buying anything from them now. Way too much trouble.

I have 4 Swfa and all have been great. I was hesitant at first to order without ever seeing one in person. One i had a little problem with when it came in, I called them up, i mentioned that I thought they should pay for return shipping because it was brand new. they said send it back and put a copy of the postal receipt with insurance in with the scope and they would reiburse me. got a new scope back right away and a check for the shipping in the mail about a week latter, I couldn't ask for more than that. You must know they have two lines, the SS and the HD SS. The HD has different turret tops and High Dispersion Glass. The glass is quite a bit higher quality on the HD version but construction and durability seem to be of equal quality on both. I have the none HD version in 3-15x40 and purchased 2 vortex ViperPST 4-15x50 for my friend and cousin and can say after using all 3 that the Swfa build quality and robustness is way better than the vortex. The glass on the SWFA was also a lot crisper and clearer than the vortex.Then when you look through the SWFA 5-22x50 HD the glass jumps to a whole new level. I can sit on that scope all day long and never want for any more, I bounce back between it and my Nightforce NXS and other than the reticle forget which one im using.dont get me wrong, using the SWFA 3-15x40 without the HD glass i can spend hours shooting it and never once feel under scoped, for glass or function and durability and repeatability, I have beat on that scope on the quad, hunting banging around accidentally dropped and it never misses a beat. just thought ild throw that out there about the 2 different lines they have, good luck.
Sorry this was not directed at ab19500, just general info for the OP and anyone else it may help,after i posted i saw that listing his quote could be misconstrued as an attack on him and that was not my intention.

I like the SWFA scope and have three. They are good enough optically but do lack in adjustment repeatability as well as the click values being true.
As long as you do not intend to click in your corrections the scopes will serve well.
The mil-quad reticle having half mil spacing's with 10 full mils below the cross hair and 5 above offers plenty of hold over for most modern cartridges to get pest 1000 yards.
If that is not enough hold over you can use a 20 mil canted base and then zero your rifle using the top mil dot above the cross hair as your zero. With that you have 15 full mils below your zero.
That is what I do for range compensation but for windage I click in the compensation. The reason is that for wind I am seldom using more than 3 mil but for range I often use double that and more. Reason being that since the click values are neither true or repeatable the more clicks you use the farther you get from where you should be if all was working properly.
In summery I like what you get for the money in a SWFA but would like them much better if the adjustments were true and repeatable. I guess I should clarify that I am talking about the lower priced model in the $300.00 range not the models that start at over twice that price. Regardless though if a person uses it enough to figure out its pitfalls you can still do some good shooting.

I like the SWFA scope and have three. They are good enough optically but do lack in adjustment repeatability as well as the click values being true.
As long as you do not intend to click in your corrections the scopes will serve well.
The mil-quad reticle having half mil spacing's with 10 full mils below the cross hair and 5 above offers plenty of hold over for most modern cartridges to get pest 1000 yards.
If that is not enough hold over you can use a 20 mil canted base and then zero your rifle using the top mil dot above the cross hair as your zero. With that you have 15 full mils below your zero.
That is what I do for range compensation but for windage I click in the compensation. The reason is that for wind I am seldom using more than 3 mil but for range I often use double that and more. Reason being that since the click values are neither true or repeatable the more clicks you use the farther you get from where you should be if all was working properly.
In summery I like what you get for the money in a SWFA but would like them much better if the adjustments were true and repeatable. I guess I should clarify that I am talking about the lower priced model in the $300.00 range not the models that start at over twice that price. Regardless though if a person uses it enough to figure out its pitfalls you can still do some good shooting.

All the one's I've use and owned have adjusted very true and repeatable, I run one on my 308 specifically because it lets me dial 1500+ yards repeatably. It tracks true on my calibration grids through it's entire range.

If it truly does not track correctly, send it back to SWFA. They will make it right.

John

I know several people that have run the 299,00 and 399.00 fixed power SWFA ON .50CAL rifles and bet the crap out of them and were every bit as repeatable as any high dollar steiner, night force or other high end scopes, and they are still being used today after 7 to 8 years of hard use. They may lack in the glass compared to the high end scopes but not in durability and repeatability. they only time I have seen a problem like you are talking about is when the person who zeroed the turret caps dod not tighten the set screws tight enough and when they go to twist the turret it slips on the shaft and everything off. But i have seen that happen on other scopes that have that style turret caps.

I own and have owned more then one N.F. at a time, they are good scopes. I am currently using a SS HD 5-20x50 , I bought it during the group buy on Sniper's Hide. It is mounted on my PRS rifle and has served me well since new. It has always been accurate and repeatable, reliable as the day is long. It is the best $1000.00 I have ever spent on a scope ( during group buy) and is definitely worth the price of $1500.00.

Update..
I stated above that they all held zero but do have to readjust once every 1 or 2 months. It might be stock problems or scope, can't say for sure.

The last Mil/Mil is still a disappointment because the focus is critical and isn't too good, not like the original SS I still have.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts