SWFA SS 10 or 12x ?

I looked at the Primary Arms scopes, and while that is in my price range and I love the idea of a 4-14 FFP scope, it also worries me a bit. They don't have a long proven track record, and while it seems they have some very good reviews, I worry especially about putting one on a heavy recoiling rifle like a 300.

I looked at the Primary Arms scopes, and while that is in my price range and I love the idea of a 4-14 FFP scope, it also worries me a bit. They don't have a long proven track record, and while it seems they have some very good reviews, I worry especially about putting one on a heavy recoiling rifle like a 300.

It's definitely a valid concern, it has shockproof rating: 1000g claim ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/TnjHq0cVtlU?t=21[/ame]

[ame]https://youtu.be/gX9-W2Hku2o?t=4[/ame]

The Mil dot reticle version is only $229, and they actually have seconds on Ebay for $189. The seconds are supposed to just have an issue with a spec in the outer edges of the glass or a flaw in the finish of the scope. That's pretty cheap and very tempting.

Well, I ordered one of the Mil Dot Primary Arms scopes. Since the plan is to upgrade eventually I guess its a good time to try out a scope, maybe I will like it enough to not need or want to upgrade. Thanks for all the advice.

Well, I ordered one of the Mil Dot Primary Arms scopes. Since the plan is to upgrade eventually I guess its a good time to try out a scope, maybe I will like it enough to not need or want to upgrade. Thanks for all the advice.
I love my Primary Arms scope. I will be ordering more...

I'm kinda chiming in late here, but I do have a 12x42 SS and love it. The clarity is still really good and the dialing is flawless. I use it for hunting and I'm sure there is probably a few minutes lost in the morning and evening but very minimal at best. I'm talking maybe 5 minutes in the morning and evening. MAYBE. I've never "lost" a shot over the high power getting dark to fast. Like I said I'm kinda late for you, but maybe someone else with find this useful.

I've never "lost" a shot over the high power getting dark to fast. Like I said I'm kinda late for you, but maybe someone else with find this useful.

I lost a shot at a buck at 750 yards several years back at sunrise. I could see it naked eye but not through the scope. This was a 16x SS. Lucky for me he came back out 30 minutes later at 450. The 12x would have done a little better and the 10x even more so. However, even the 10x isn't ideal for lower light. I have one of the 6x and it does fine but it's on a shorter range rifle.

I lost a shot at a buck at 750 yards several years back at sunrise. I could see it naked eye but not through the scope. This was a 16x SS. Lucky for me he came back out 30 minutes later at 450. The 12x would have done a little better and the 10x even more so. However, even the 10x isn't ideal for lower light. I have one of the 6x and it does fine but it's on a shorter range rifle.

I can imagine the 16x would present a problem at dawn and dusk, I've found on several of my variable power scopes that in low light 10-12 power is about the max I can turn up before it gets dark. I don't have one but I've heard the 16 is not as clear as the 12 so that probably hurt some too. At least you still got to take him. Good job.

Maybe another factor is, in the mountains here, it doesn't stay low light long. It's either too dark to shoot and 10 minutes later there's plenty of light. Or the other way around.

I know this is an old thread, I did the search thing. I'm 99.99% sure I'm going to buy one of these for starters, they do have decent reviews. It will be used on a tactical.223 trainer out to 700-800 yards. If I like it a second one would be a definite.

Don Dunlap

I know this is an old thread, I did the search thing. I'm 99.99% sure I'm going to buy one of these for starters, they do have decent reviews. It will be used on a tactical.223 trainer out to 700-800 yards. If I like it a second one would be a definite.

Don Dunlap

You won't be disappointed. I'm getting ready to order another 12x myself. These are my favorite scopes that I own. Of course I can't afford an $800+ scope so I can't speak for a lot of them. In the sub$500 category though these SWFA SS can't be beat.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.