Do you shoot suppressed?

• Total voters
The damage done from a rifle report WILL occur whether you realize it or not even on a single shot. It is true that it doesn't seem as loud outdoors in the moment of a hunt but damage IS occurring with the 170 decibel report. A brake is excellent at recoil reduction but the vibration of the report has also been shown to cause damage to the inner ear. I have 5 suppressors and enjoy the "change" in recoil impulse that they provide. It feels like it is spread out over a slightly longer time frame and less of a sharp impulse on my rifles. Basically if you don't shoot suppressed you need to have ear pro on the hunt. I actually use both suppressors and electronic ear pro, but I also value my ears and have no desire for tinnitus and damage.

Do what you all feel is best for you but from a medical perspective you are damaging your ears every time you shoot unprotected.

And yes……I am a doctor.

Not sure how effective it is, but there are supressors like Rugged that can actually go over a brake. Are you aware of those?
Brakes as silencer mounts are effective sacrificial baffles, but don't do anything for recoil. You need a silencer with a brake on the end like an Omega 300 or some of the Rex Silentium cans. Area 419's Maverick is the best I've found for recoil reduction, but I don't think it's rated for magnums.

I am a very new hunter. So far I have shot in competitions. I am a big proponent of shooting suppressed because I really like my ears and reduces recoil. I would assume it would even make more sense shooting with a can when hunting, otherwise I will have to wear ear plugs all day. I realise that adding a can increases weight and length. But I guess that is cost/inconvenience of doing business.

I have been told by more experienced hunters that shooting supressed is unnecessary and even a bad idea. Unnecessary because I would be shooting outdoors and the adrenaline is going to protect my hearing. I have even been told that I would not even realise the gun going off because of the adrenaline. I have also been told that because hunting rifles have lighter barrels, a suppressor will cause unpredictable barrel harmonics and would not make consistent POI shifts.

I am looking to shoot 700 to 1000 yards and mostly deer/elk size animals. Do you have any experience about these points?

I am a very new hunter. So far I have shot in competitions. I am a big proponent of shooting suppressed because I really like my ears and reduces recoil. I would assume it would even make more sense shooting with a can when hunting, otherwise I will have to wear ear plugs all day. I realise that adding a can increases weight and length. But I guess that is cost/inconvenience of doing business.

I have been told by more experienced hunters that shooting supressed is unnecessary and even a bad idea. Unnecessary because I would be shooting outdoors and the adrenaline is going to protect my hearing. I have even been told that I would not even realise the gun going off because of the adrenaline. I have also been told that because hunting rifles have lighter barrels, a suppressor will cause unpredictable barrel harmonics and would not make consistent POI shifts.

I am looking to shoot 700 to 1000 yards and mostly deer/elk size animals. Do you have any experience about these points?
And the person you heard that from maybe had the noise go into the head deeper, had a duck hunter touch one off once, hearing still isn't good in the left ear. Also 105's in Viet-Nam didn't help either.

I have been told by more experienced hunters...
lol... "experienced", what a complete load of ignorance.

Hi there, 36yr old here who was told the same thing by an "experienced" hunter, I now have significant hearing damage and ringing that sometimes keeps me up at night. I'm sure I'm not alone on here. Just because your brain is too amped up to register the "ouch! that was really loud" response, doesnt save you from the laws of physics.

I learned my lesson the hard way, my 11yr old doesn't even know what an unsuppressed firearm sounds like.

I shoot suppressed, and love it. Just bear in mind, as ranges increase the suppressor negatively affects accuracy. At most ranges hunters are shooting it won't be a problem. But as you reach further out it can start to be an issue, and at great distances I can't recommend them. But I'm a precision shooter, so I maybe more fussy than most.
I would love to know how a suppressor negatively affects accuracy out to longer range.

Just bear in mind, as ranges increase the suppressor negatively affects accuracy. At most ranges hunters are shooting it won't be a problem. But as you reach further out it can start to be an issue, and at great distances I can't recommend them. But I'm a precision shooter, so I maybe more fussy than most.
double_take.gif

I don't own a supressor. I shoot muzzleloaders, a 7 lb 30-06 and a 13lb 30-06, and a .45 pistol. I keep getting ready for that Looong shot and am somewhat comfortable with shots to 550yds. The farthest I have taken (seen) a deer while hunting was about 250yds. Many of the places I plan to hunt and wait for the Looong shot are unsuitable once I get there because of wind, haze, hunter activity, weather change, etc., then I become a stalker and still hunter. That does not mean that I don't plan to keep trying. It does not matter which rifle I carry, the brush gun with a 1x3 scope or the 4x14 LR, I see, and kill, deer usually within 100yds. I get deer because I sneak in. I go days (months?) sometimes between shots because I'm sighted in and why should I waste hunting days at the range? I never wear ear protection when hunting. You have to be able to hear game that dosn't know it is supposed to be way out there and not 8 feet behind you (true story- I was getting ready to low crawl ten feet to a prone long range hide and a buck quietly huffed at me from behind. I stood and shot him and than laid down the rille As soon as I did another buck huffed me from the side. I picked up the rifle and shot him at 10 feet.)

Based on my experience:
I would reccommend that you not add anything to a rifle that will slow you down.
Always have a round chambered, even when you are moving. ( some will think this is wrong but my experience is that if you are carrying an unchambered rifle, it is just a stick.)
I would disreguard the good advice that you always have to have ear protection. Yes, you can harm your hearing but it would probably take more unprotected shots than you are ever likley to experience in a lifetime of hunting. Disclaimer: I am an old Artillery man and after two combat tours and fifty years, I have a slight loss of hearing.
You also have to hunt quiet.
You have to remember that deer hear a lot of noise in the woods and do not spook at loud noises as much as we think they do. Remember that second buck I mentioned above? He either stood still or moved closer as I stood, shot the first buck, and laid down the rifle. He also let me pick up the rifle and find him in the scope. I doubt that a shot at long range would ever spook most game. It might draw their attention though.
The last thing I would advise is that you not zero your rifle with ear muffs unless you plan to wear them in the woods. Use plugs. Your zero will change if you don't.

At the age of 16 I lost a huge chunk of high-frequency hearing in my left ear from a single event that happened while hunting. I was in a bad position and took several shots at a deer (my marksmanship sucked in those days) with a .300 WBY. I was shooting between obstructions and the solid objects in front of me caused a huge amount of blowback. My ears rang nonstop for two weeks. The ringing went away, but the hearing didn't come back. The hearing loss was so severe my disability insurance includes a rider to disallow claims related to hearing loss.

My right ear is still mostly OK, thankfully.

In many parts of the world shooting without a suppressor is considered rude..... sort of like driving around the neighborhood without a muffler. I started using a can while hunting in Africa and came home and ordered a couple. My unsuppressed rifles don't see much action these days except for at the bench where I'm able to wear protection.

Hunting with a can is really cool. I've seen bucks drop with the rest of the herd still feeding. I watched one doe jump a bit when she looked over at her buddy and saw him kicking on the ground. People watching from up on the ridge couldn't figure it out since from their location they didn't even hear the shot. I've let 10 year-olds shoot my .300 Win with 190gr bullets. They do just fine.

The human tendency to flinch isn't just due to recoil. It involves all of the noxious stimuli - sound, muzzle concussive blast, recoil, barrel rise. All of that is mitigated by a suppressor.

Suppressed for life!

I could never imagine grabbing a rifle without a can. The biggest change was the kiddo's - it truly TRANSFORMED shooting for them.
There is a real gem here: anticipation problems can be rooted in the muzzle blast as much as the raw recoil (barring getting scoped), and suppressors significantly mitigate both. This can be a real game-changer for new shooters.