Stop neck sizing your brass!!!

I have quite a few rifles that shoot better .......far better......when I NS them. To stop doing what works because some dude on youtube tells me to, would be dumb. I also have a few rifles that shot badly when I tried to NS for them; and for those I FL size.

So it's a no-brainer. Do what works for your rifle. There is no cookie cutter solution that works for everything every time.
I only have two magnums that I neck size only, one is a carry gun 300 Win. mag and a 308 Norma bench gun. The rest of my rifles I full length resize. GO BIRDS!!!

I sort of like knowing where I am and not sinking out of site in the quick sand. Many things stay the same , I hear cars are still running on rubber tires, and many still use gasoline.

Yessir, and there's plenty of innovation involved on them cars, tires, and gasoline, just like the computers and information and communication technology that allows us to exchange ideas in this forum today.

Last edited:
I almost forgot. There is a way to literally follow the OP's video advice:

Make a tight necked chamber and turn necks for .0005" clearance per side. The brass will spring back after firing and will have enough neck tension for accurate BR shooting. I know because I did it for a while with my 30 BR. It was ticklish as the necks couldn't grow in thickness, steel wool was used after every firing to remove carbon from the neck and the chamber neck area had to be clean.

It was just one of many ways some of us tried sizing brass. In this case (sorry for the pun) no case sizing was necessary at all.

I got the idea on how Virgil prepped his brass in the Secrets of the Houston Warehouse.
http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/...-warehouse-lessons-in-extreme-rifle-accuracy/.

Yessir, and there's plenty of innovation involved on them cars, tires, and gasoline, just like the computers and information and communication technology that allows us to exchange ideas in this forum today.
You mean like ETHANAL? not all changes are good. What I'm saying is I don't want to screw up a good combination!! I said I full length resize most of my shells but the magnums, they are already loaded and they work as good if not better than any and if I was going to change the magnums over to the full length resizing I wouldn't do it till I shot the ones I have loaded now, and that will hopefully be a long time I have hundreds of both loaded. I already said if I was starting to load another magnum I would probably full length resize the thing unless there is an obvious difference in the speed when it was only neck sized. I'm not going to shoot hundreds of shells up and empty my wallet just to load them a different way when they both shoot sub minute off angle now. This is like lets make a deal, Give up something that I know is good for something in MONTY'S cookie jar, or behind curtain #1. You or nobody else can guarantee that if I changed the way I'm loading my magnums that they would shot as good or better than what they do now.

You mean like ETHANAL? not all changes are good. What I'm saying is I don't want to screw up a good combination!! I said I full length resize most of my shells but the magnums, they are already loaded and they work as good if not better than any and if I was going to change the magnums over to the full length resizing I wouldn't do it till I shot the ones I have loaded now, and that will hopefully be a long time I have hundreds of both loaded. I already said if I was starting to load another magnum I would probably full length resize the thing unless there is an obvious difference in the speed when it was only neck sized. I'm not going to shoot hundreds of shells up and empty my wallet just to load them a different way when they both shoot sub minute off angle now. This is like lets make a deal, Give up something that I know is good for something in MONTY'S cookie jar, or behind curtain #1. You or nobody else can guarantee that if I changed the way I'm loading my magnums that they would shot as good or better than what they do now.

A change that is not good is not innovation. My comment in #37 is a response beyond subject the matter. Perhaps you missed my response in #7.

Last edited:
Ok...I'm new to percision reloading, but been reloading to MOA of dead deer at 100yds for over 40 years. I full length sized until July of last year.

When I built my 300wm I trade for a die set that had a collet die...

I'm assuming a neck die and collet die are so similar that there is no need to differentiate between the two?

So far in this thread I have not seen a collet die mentioned...didn't watch the utube thing...so if it was mention there...missed it.

So what's the scoop on these dies?

I know they don't cover a lot of different calibers with them.

Also...most of the calibers I currently reload for...chamber perfectly after they've been fired. No hard bolt at all...so I've took the advice of a highly respected member here and just barely bump the shoulder back .001...it still sizes the walls a little because I still have to lube the case.

So it should also help keep the case from taking a banana shape from thin walled brass. And I hope make the brass last longer. Keep me from trimming constantly.

And just maybe hit something further away than 100yds...

A change that is not good is not innovation. My comment in #37 is a response beyond subject the matter. Perhaps you missed my response in #7.
Went back and read. I have nothing against full length resizing, that's what I do most and probably have to when using the reloads in different guns. We have four different 30-06's in the family I wouldn't even attempt to only neck size them. All chambers can be a little different. I am still thinking that neck sizing may have an advantage with the magnums but I don't know how much after watching the 6.5 video. Just my opinion and I really am looking forward to going to a 1000 yard shoot soon, and seeing what they are up to now, its been over 20 years and I am sure they do a lot of things different now. I know even the last time I did go some of them things didn't even look like a gun just a great big piece of steel with a bolt sticking out of them.

Like some other topics, this debate will never be agreed on because there is no one way only to size ammo for accuracy. Even for different rifles owned by the same people. There are pluses and minuses to both methods. The fact that One Well known individual does it one way, doesn't mean that two more well known shooters doesn't do it another way.

So the debate goes On & On & On xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

J E CUSTOM

I use both full length and neck sizing depending on the particular chamber/load/use. While I FL size for the majority of my loads, I do have high accuracy loads that are neck sized with an understanding of the brass dimensions /effect with each firing. For those who are casual reloaders, or new to reloading(and particularly the guy in the video), FL sizing may be the better choice. I would expect this debate will continue for some time to come.

Erik Cortina, the guy in the video is nowhere near a newbie in reloading.

Apologies for mischaracterizing Erik as a new to reloading. Never heard of him, but with my only exposure of watching the video, my general "impression" remains. While Erik makes some good points about the advantages of FL resizing, he draws a very heavy red line against NS. He makes his case with many generalizations and assumptions, many of which are routinely and successfully navigated by skilled reloaders when the application fits. Just my viewpoint.

I use wilson dies and have never ever had any issues with just neck sizing, sounds like a lot of personal issues.
If the case gets tight in the chamber I use a body die.
Everyone has an opinion, I get excellent groups with all my rifles doing it this way why fix it if its not broken.