Neck Sizing

Footsie80

Hi All,

I'm brand new to both the forum and reloading. Bit of background before I pose my question. I have a Lee Challenger press and made an investment in the Hornady LNL OAL gauge, bullet comparator and headspace comparator kit as I would like to optimize my fireformed brass for a custom fit. I will only be loading for 30-06 until my rifle collection grows.

At this point, I don't want to spend a whole pile on the latest and greatest until my technique is solid and I shoot enough to warrant the investment. I'm planning on getting the Lee ultimate 4 die set so I have options for both FL and neck sizing.
Now for the question. I want to keep my brass in fireformed condition (ie. don't want to full length size). I also don't want to buy additional presses or specialty dies (yet) for specific steps in the process. Can I give my brass a quick clean, then neck size and deprime in the same step with the die set I'm looking at? If not, how should I go about this in a practical and cost-effective way? Conflicting info out there, so thought I'd ask specifically.

Thanks in advance!

Hi All,

I'm brand new to both the forum and reloading. Bit of background before I pose my question. I have a Lee Challenger press and made an investment in the Hornady LNL OAL gauge, bullet comparator and headspace comparator kit as I would like to optimize my fireformed brass for a custom fit. I will only be loading for 30-06 until my rifle collection grows.

At this point, I don't want to spend a whole pile on the latest and greatest until my technique is solid and I shoot enough to warrant the investment. I'm planning on getting the Lee ultimate 4 die set so I have options for both FL and neck sizing.
Now for the question. I want to keep my brass in fireformed condition (ie. don't want to full length size). I also don't want to buy additional presses or specialty dies (yet) for specific steps in the process. Can I give my brass a quick clean, then neck size and deprime in the same step with the die set I'm looking at? If not, how should I go about this in a practical and cost-effective way? Conflicting info out there, so thought I'd ask specifically.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to LRH and enjoy it! Reloading does not happen overnight; take your time and enjoy the learning process. I have done both but prefer full sizing. It might boil down to intended purpose and personal preference.

For the sake of keeping it simple, you can just neck size. Just keep some grease on your bolt lugs. I prefer FL size but I've also neck sized for years without any problems. As you learn you'll add more steps. The most important part is recognizing pressure signs. Get a good chrono.

There are times to neck size. The issue is the shoulder grows as well. At some point it needs to be pushed back 1-3 thousands.
I'm a big fan of the forster bump neck die. It leaves the body alone and bumps the shoulder back while sizing the neck.
Many folks use a body die and a mandrel die like the lee collet die.
More than one way to get the job done.

Last edited:
Brass flows forward....if you run any pressure at all you will eventually FLS.

Maybe the initial cost is more to buy a better set-up (IMO).... but in the long run you will come out ahead with less headaches.
Fair point. I guess I should have said that I want to minimizing FLS to extend brass life, but honestly I'm open to any and all suggestions.

If you're going to use this rifle for hunting I would recommend full length sizing but push the shoulder back only the amount needed to easily close the bolt.
Yes, it's primarily for hunting but I also want to try and get some practice at hitting longer distances. I've only shot out to about 400 so far. I recognize the 06 isn't the best for this and am looking at acquiring a long range rifle chambered for a more suitable cartridge next season.

Man is your plate going to get full. If you are wanting to extend your brass life. There is another thing that needs to be done. You need to anneal the cases, from time to time. So some of us anneal every time and others 3 firing or more. i would suggest at least after 3 firing. There several ways to do that. Read up on annealing and I would get Tempilaq to check your temperature control. (Midway). You can neck size, but bumping would be better.
Just ask questions here and you will get a lot of different answers here. Most are helpful. Watch these YouTube voids.

Welcome aboard!!

Man is your plate going to get full. If you are wanting to extend your brass life. There is another thing that needs to be done. You need to anneal the cases, from time to time. So some of us anneal every time and others 3 firing or more. i would suggest at least after 3 firing. There several ways to do that. Read up on annealing and I would get Tempilaq to check your temperature control. (Midway). You can neck size, but bumping would be better.
Just ask questions here and you will get a lot of different answers here. Most are helpful. Watch these YouTube voids.

Welcome aboard!!
Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm ok with gradually increasing my plate size haha. My rationale is that as my kids get older and more independent, I can devote more time, energy and money towards my newfound hobby. Prior to this, I was an avid athlete but arthritis, kids activities and a decline in abilities led me to pursue something I can do at home. I've been an avid hunter since I was a teenager, but recent supply chain wrinkles have made my favourite factory ammos hard to come by in Canada and no one can argue that the tinker factor isn't a compelling reason to start reloading.

Recent Posts