neck sizing??

The family of cartridges has to be considered. What is it? I don't think you want to size down .044" in one pass.

Lets say you wanted to neck down a 30-06 to 6.5-06. You could put it in a 280 seater die which is larger than the 280 FL die. Then go to the 280 FL followed by the 6.5-06 seater die then the 6.5-06 FL die.

If this is a wildcat you might have to make your own form die. Whidden could help with that. I once made a form die for sizing down the 284 win brass to 6mm-284. I used an old 264 barrel and the 6mm-284 chamber reamer. Sanded the die quite a bit to open it up. Was able to get the brass partially necked then finished with the 6mm-284 FL die.

I meant one die as in I have the 6.5 dies just the one I'd use first step.. So I'd start at .30 cal size first with ??? Then final size with 6.5

I have a 6.5x300 wby I just purchased was just seeing if anyone had a good suggestion.. Previous owner said he used 270 wby

Haffy

I think you could neck down the 300 weatherby with the 270 Weatherby first. They both have the same shoulder diameter. Use the 270 seater die then FL die. Final sizing would be with the 6.5-300 weatherby.

Just be aware the 270 weatherby is shorter so don't set the die so you run the 300 too deeply. I would bet you will feel the shoulder hitting the die's shoulder encountering more resistance.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.