neck sizing?

And I want to be sure you aren't trying to stirr up crap.

Have you ever sized a bottlenecked case?

Hey Bowhunter, ShootingMathews told me about a body die you can get from Brownells now, I'm glad he did it was well worth the price and my accuracy is fantastic, they have the creedmoor in stock for 47 bucks

If you bump shoulder and neck size with a Redding bushing a Should you size the whole neck , half of the neck or does it depend

If you use a body die you bump shoulders back to specs and it don't touch the neck and then you can run your brass thru your f/L resizer to get the preferred neck tension that works the best for accuracy

I'll preface by saying that I do have the Hornady headspace comparator and I do full length resize for my bolt action rifles if the cases become hard to cycle or if I know I will be taking the ammo hunting. I also use it for my AR's every time and bump the shoulder back .003 and have not had any cycling problems.

However on a day to day basis, I do use the Lee collet neck sizer dies. I routinely use these dies on 6 different rifle cartridges and have not had a problem yet.

I track my cases very well. I always know what rifle they were fired from and how many times, etc.

I'm always trying to learn and I ask this question with sincerity. In the real world, what issues have you guys run into with neck sizing?

I have not noticed any difference in runout. Although to be honest I have not tested runout difference on every different cartridge yet.

Thanks!

I'm also confused at what 918v was trying to communicate.

Your press is not rigid. It flexes. This flex causes the shoulder of a bottlenecked case to be bumped less than you think you're trying to bump it. The amount of shoulder bump depends on the press, the cartridge, the hardness of the brass, and the amount of expansion of the brass. The harder the brass is to size the less the shoulder will be bumped.

If you raise the ram and screw down the die and jam it against the shell holder the variables mentioned above will cause the die to spring away from the shell holder once the case is inside. This adds anywhere from .002" to .004" to the shoulder length. If you set the die to cam over, you remove the above variables and the die sizes the case to whatever the die and shell holder allow given their fixed dimensions.

In most cases, this bumps the shoulder .008" to .010" from its fired dimension which is excessive. If the goal is to bump .002", we have to back the die off. But we can't back the die off a quarter turn or even an eighth. We have to take into account flex, linkage slack, brass hardness, brass diameter, and the .004" this may induce and only back the die off ever so slightly.

The procedure I described gets you into the appropriate range of shoulder bump right away versus having to back the die off a lot and then going through a lot of trial and error.

The easiest thing to do is to cam over an appropriate Redding competition shell holder. But if you don't want to get a set, then messing with die adjustment is what you'll have to do.

918v,

Your press is not rigid. It flexes. This flex causes the shoulder of a bottlenecked case to be bumped less than you think you're trying to bump it. The amount of shoulder bump depends on the press, the cartridge, the hardness of the brass, and the amount of expansion of the brass. The harder the brass is to size the less the shoulder will be bumped.

If you raise the ram and screw down the die and jam it against the shell holder the variables mentioned above will cause the die to spring away from the shell holder once the case is inside. This adds anywhere from .002" to .004" to the shoulder length. If you set the die to cam over, you remove the above variables and the die sizes the case to whatever the die and shell holder allow given their fixed dimensions.

In most cases, this bumps the shoulder .008" to .010" from its fired dimension which is excessive. If the goal is to bump .002", we have to back the die off. But we can't back the die off a quarter turn or even an eighth. We have to take into account flex, linkage slack, brass hardness, brass diameter, and the .004" this may induce and only back the die off ever so slightly.

The procedure I described gets you into the appropriate range of shoulder bump right away versus having to back the die off a lot and then going through a lot of trial and error.

The easiest thing to do is to cam over an appropriate Redding competition shell holder. But if you don't want to get a set, then messing with die adjustment is what you'll have to do.

I can see why you didn't want to answer my post. That's a lot of typing. I have sized a few bottleneck and handgun cases. I have made about a dozen or more wildcats. Presently I have four rifles. All four are wildcats: a .224 MBOC, a 6.5SLR., a 6.5RUMLN, and a .375-.416 Rem Mag.

If you use a body die you bump shoulders back to specs and it don't touch the neck and then you can run your brass thru your f/L resizer to get the preferred neck tension that works the best for accuracy

Not really.

A body die sizes the case body diameter a less than a FL die. If you run a body die sized/.002" shoulder bumped case through a FL die, the shoulder will pop forward and you may not be able to close the bolt.

You could back off the FL die but if it touches the body it will pop the shoulder forward. A better way is to get a neck die. I prefer a Lee collet neck die for this. They are cheap.

Don't know how it works on a creedmor but it works wonders on other cases like 7mag 260 243 270 so I FIGURE ITS WORTH TRYING ON CREEDMORR

Please take notice that Kevin Thomas shoots for Team Lapua USA and also worked in the Sierra ballistics test laboratory and knows what he is talking about.

KTLapua-b_zps8d1abc2c.jpg

I have been reloading for over 47 years and two years ago bought my first Forster full length die. The Forster dies produce the least neck runout of any type of die I have bushing or non-bushing die.

Below the high mounted floating expander enters the case neck when the case neck is still supported and centered by the neck of the die. Meaning the expander can not pull the case neck off center like the lower mounted expanders can.

Sizer_Die_011_zpst2zm6m7y.gif

Below a link at the Whidden custom die website explaining standard and bushing dies, and a very good read. It also states standard non-bushing dies produce the least amount of neck runout.

Whidden Gunworks
Explanation of Bushing and Non-bushing Sizer Dies

http://www.whiddengunworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Bushing.NonBushingExplanation.pdf

Please take notice that Kevin Thomas shoots for Team Lapua USA and also worked in the Sierra ballistics test laboratory and knows what he is talking about.

KTLapua-b_zps8d1abc2c.jpg

I have been reloading for over 47 years and two years ago bought my first Forster full length die. The Forster dies produce the least neck runout of any type of die I have bushing or non-bushing die.

Below the high mounted floating expander enters the case neck when the case neck is still supported and centered by the neck of the die. Meaning the expander can not pull the case neck off center like the lower mounted expanders can.

Sizer_Die_011_zpst2zm6m7y.gif

Below a link at the Whidden custom die website explaining standard and bushing dies, and a very good read. It also states standard non-bushing dies produce the least amount of neck runout.

Whidden Gunworks
Explanation of Bushing and Non-bushing Sizer Dies

http://www.whiddengunworks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Bushing.NonBushingExplanation.pdf

Excellent! That's exactly what my gunsmith said too. lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.