Stop neck sizing your brass!!!

Extracted from Larry Willis' website ...

The main goal for most reloaders is to make the most accurate handloads possible, and that often leads shooters to see how benchrest shooters are reloading. After all, nobody gets better accuracy than a good benchrest shooter. One question for reloaders is deciding whether to Neck Size (NK) or Full Length (FL) resize their cases. I used to neck size (decades ago), but I now prefer to FL resize all rifle calibers. Most benchrest shooters today use FL dies, because when full length resizing is done accurately . . . . there are no advantages to neck sizing.

Neck sizing used to be popular among target and varmint shooters because it reduced chamber clearance and that extends case life by not over-working the brass. Many shooters also figured that the tighter their loads fit the chamber – the more accurate they'll shoot. There's more to this story. Shooters that neck size eventually need to bump their case shoulder back to ensure that their rounds will chamber reliably. Keep in mind that .001" is one third the thickness of a human hair, and having some clearance is an advantage.

Reloading equipment (and techniques) evolve as technology improves. Today most benchrest shooters use expensive custom FL resizing dies made specifically for their chamber. This allows them to make handloads that ALWAYS fit perfectly. Most shooters don't want to spend that kind of money on a set of custom dies, and actually it's not necessary.

Shooters that neck size know that their handloads will soon require a bit more force to close the bolt, and that's not good. You should NEVER be able to "feel" handloads chamber - not even a little bit. Neck sized cases have absolutely no chamber clearance at the shoulder. When they get tight, that shows they are obviously not consistently being returned to the same size. Another consideration for our handloads is to make them with near zero case run-out. However, after "forcing" a tight round into the chamber, it becomes anything but concentric. Why would you want to occasionally bump the shoulder just to make some cases fit better?

On the other hand, full length resizing must be done accurately if it's going to make better handloads. It's best to bump the shoulder -.001" to -.002" at the most. This requires measuring the clearance (at the shoulder) that YOUR handloads have in YOUR particular chamber. This is very easy to measure.

A properly used FL die bumps the shoulder, sizes the neck, and slightly resizes the "tapered" body while your case is fully supported - perfectly concentric in one die. When full length resizing is done properly, it delivers the very best accuracy, improved case life, and reliable chambering. So . . . . how can you resize accurately with an ordinary full length resizing die?

Actual case measurements alone are worthless unless you can also measure your particular chamber at the shoulder. Accurate full length resizing means having - .001" to - .002" clearance at the shoulder (and no more). This requires "measuring" the clearance that YOUR handloads have in YOUR particular rifle. Then you can set your FL resizing die to "accurately" bump your case shoulder just like expensive custom benchrest dies. Your FL die can also resize the neck while the case is completely supported (and aligned) inside one die, and in one operation. Case run-out is reduced, accuracy is improved, and your handloads will always chamber with a perfect fit.

(SOURCE: http://www.larrywillis.com/resizing.html)

Last edited:
Why????????

I prefer to full length resize my cases "once" and not size a case twice when using the lee collet die and a body die. Also too many people think using a die with a expander is the end of the world. And yet Whidden custom dies sells expander kits with five expanders, from bullet diameter to .004 under bullet diameter.

The reason the lee collet die is popular is because they produce less neck runout than a bushing die.

And last but not least why use a cheaply made collet die that must be sanded and polished before use. And also the Lee instructions tell you to size the neck and rotate the case 1/8 of a turn and size again. This is to reduce the longitudinal marks on the case neck that are squeezed between the slots in the collet.

The secret to the Lee collet die is to leave it in its case.

C8rGyKI.jpg

And full length dies like the Forster benchrest die produces the most concentric cases.

Y7Iyv8o.jpg

http://www.whiddengunworks.com/standard-reloading-dies/
"The non-bushing sizer die typically yields more concentric ammo in our experience."
LOL, whatever. Have fun lubing and cleaning lube off of cases till the end of time...

One move, RCBS

Second move
Install Forster's high mounted floating expander and spindle assemblies on your RCBS dies.

Below on the left a RCBS expander raised as high as it will move. And on the right a high mounted floating expander that greatly reduces neck runout when fitted to a RCBS die.

5kfnKwd.jpg

I've never used lube on my cases so I'm not sure what you guys are talking about.

The way I read the instructions was to size the neck, do a quarter turn and size the neck again...pretty simple process...fast too...ran a bunch of cases through it in no time...no fuss, no mess...nothing!