Stop neck sizing your brass!!!

aggregate scores were shot by neck sizing only in the late 70's when I attended the 1000 yard shoots at the PA Original 1000 yard bench rest clubs shoots.

You do realize today's aggs are 65% smaller than 1979 right? Those guys, and the rest of us have changed to full length a long time ago. Generally speaking, properly matching full length dies brings the most out of the rifle. You'd have to have a rifle that can shoot the difference in order to know.

Tom

It doesn't take me much thought to see the faults in neck sizing only. There's a lot to my thought process, but I only see consistency with neck sized brass, if you marked the case head and indexed it in the exact same place each and every time in the chamber. Think about that next time you load your mag.

Engineering 101: EVERY solution to any problem is an amalgamation of trade-offs

Personally, accurate "enough" is accurate enough - for me anyway. Since I use a collet die for my 260, I don't have to lube and am able to prime/charge much more quickly w/o FL sizing. Since I don't have any feed issues in mine, I strongly prefer to save the time. Since my 260 is AI, I have FAR less concern about the length increase ... (never had to trim - ever ... yet)

However ... the trade off for me? ... yup - I have to get them fire formed up front ... BUT ... that is WAY WAY WAY more fun than full length sizing and the steel plates and groundhogs had no clue they were mild fire forming loads :)

Please keep the discussion on topic and make it productive without sniping at each other.

And I have edited a few posts to delete some inappropriate graphics or cartoons.

Thanks much...

Len,

As the OP, I agree with you, we need to do a better job in self-policing our interactions. I posted it for what is worth and never intended it to get out of control.

Cheers!

Ed

One of the arguments made against NS vs FL is the growing case issue. Erik's video point this out. All that glitters may not be gold though. This can occur with the initial firings regardless whether you FL resize or Neck size, and be chamber dependent. This effect ihas been explained by Redding, and included in the instructions with their Case Comparator Dye Set. I have surely experienced it. When starting with new brass, the first 1-4 firings, the headspace meadurement of the brass may not reflect the chamber size. Generally headspace with new brass can be 0-.010" shorter the the chamber, but usually shorter since the manufacturers want to make sure it fits all chambers. With the initial firings, the brass will spring back partially to a length that is between the original length of the new brass and the chambers actual headspace. The number of firings before the new brass fully conforms to the actual chamber dimensions can vary with the particular chamber and load. It is important to set up a FL dye when the new case has fully conformed to the chamber. Lots of reloaders may miss this and set their FL dye after the first firing. In some cases you are OK, but in other cases you may unknowingly have excessive headspace as the brass confirms to the chamber, not getting the most from your initial testing/loads. With neck sizing this effect is obvious. With FL sizing, this may be masked. If you do your load testing during this phase you might get erononious results, or develop fight bolt lift as the brass expands, and need to reset your FL dye. I will many times neck size with new brass until I feel the first slight resistance in bolt lift, then set up my FL dye. I have on occasion stayed with neck sizing if the ES and accuracy are noticably better then the subsequent FL testing, and this improvement serves my application. One of my LRH rifles uses NS brass for the first 2-3 firings only. I'll then resize with a body dye and repeat the process getting consistent results. Using this approach, for the last half dozen years this rifle continues to keep 5 shots in a tennis ball sized target at 1000 yards(if I get a good nights sleep), and has accounted for numerous varmints/game animals out to 1200 yards. I'm s firm believer in the end justifying the means, taking the crusaders with a grain of salt. I will say that most of my competition and hunting rifles use FL sized loads, but believe there is a place for both.

Generally speaking, properly matching full length dies
Ahh, now we get to the actual meat of the thing.

If you have your does modified to match your fired brass/chamber then.....

F/L sizing COULD be more accurate than N/S.

I get too good of accuracy out of virgin brass for me to believe that I need to neck size only.
I use Norma brass in My 308 Norma and of course everyone has or at least used to have the right to their own opinion, Norma brass is said to be one of the best brands of brass available and helps ensure good alinement without having to take many of the other steps to ensure that. Afraid to post anything confirming anything by anybody like others do. Thought that's what these sites were for, bringing different things to light and letting people try them and decide what method works best for them. Looks like partiality is being shown.