Starting the little ones out right

Shawn Carlock

Sponsor
Just wanted to take a second to affirm what most everyone here already knows. Teaching little shooters safety, ethics, and fundementals of accuracy is the future of our sport. Take a little one shooting, hunting & fishing any chance you get. I am always impressed with how much a child can learn in a short period if they are interested. I post this photo of my son Tyler at 4 years old from last weeks dad and son shooting day. it was just personel 1 on 1 time. The fact that his shooting impressed me was just a bonus.
TYLERBG3.JPG

Shawn,

You have hit the nail on the head. A lot of people do not realize what the young ones are really capable of if they are just taken time with and tought properly.

My grandson was telling me the differences between deer tracks, and pointing out rubs and scrapes at age 3. My duaghter was the same way. They were just exposed to it from the get go and it has been a part of their life always.

I am constantly hearing folks tell me they can't wait till their kid is old enough to go fishing or hunting, only to find out that they are almost in their teens. Seems somewhat sad to me being brought up the way I was, when you could keep up you went out with the older folks. When you could hold the rifle steady on a rest it was time to start shooting. Start small and work up, take it slow and make it fun and not long and boring. Let them take their time and it will sink in for sure.

Keep up the good work, you definately have more than enough credentials for the job.

Shawn,
Congrats on Tylers accuracy looks like he may be giving Dad a few lessons one day. I agree 100% on taking kids out and introducing them to hunting. As you know my son loves the sport and took another buck this year. He has killed one for the last 3 years and he is only 7 years old, those heavy barreled 243's modified stocks(LOP)and bipods work wonders for the young ones. I can only imagine what Tyler's first deer gun will be with you setting him up.

Great job and thanks for sharing.

Mike

Great!

But he (or the equipment) is lacking something!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I know!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif The gun needs a big honkin' partition style brake and a DE cheek rest! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

He smiles better than Kirby. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

It is cut off in the photo but it has a minature DE cheekpiece for the tall optic on it. It is tough for kids to let you know what is wrong when they don't know what is right. Biggest problem I see with kids guns is fit or lack of. Poor gun fit is the beginig of bad shooting habits. If it takes getting a new stock every year so be it. I thought of a slab break for the massive recoil. I am waiting for Kirby to develope a 22 AM rimfire somehow for his daughter.

Dan B,

Hey, I smile all the time, just ask Shawn!!! I'm actually quite a happy guy. Do't say much but happy most of the time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Except when I miss on camera /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Just an ugly bastard when I do smile so the camera does not see it that often!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

Shawn,

Great pic, you are getting alot of those with your two kids and I know how much you enjoy them. I suspect they will be very involved in the outdoors with their daddy.

About the 22 AM rimfire thing, have to think on that one!!!

I was thinking of a small 17 cal round but it would be a centerfire.

Anyway, great pic and tell your boy fine shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

PS tell these boys I actually can smile once in a while!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ok, here's my contribution to making the warm blooded creatures queasy, yeah she's cute huh? let me tell ya she is the bloodthirstiest youngster I've ever been around, and don't think she can't shoot that chipmunk, she went 4 for 4 on sqirrels this fall
bbd0ff99.jpg

I am all for the little ones getting started. I also cringe to hear people say they want to wait until their son/daughter is old enough to want to go hunting or fishing. I always figured I would take mine until they told me they did not like it.

My daughter has been hunting with us since she was 5 months old. She does not know any different and she absolutely loves the outdoors, hunting and fishing. She is also taking up shooting her BB gun. I get weird looks all the time when we talk about her shooting because she is only 2.5 now but, she is pretty decent. I have spent a lot of time with her shooting and while she has a long way to go she does very good.

Here is her before she was one, I think she was about 8 months at the time.

Her Pop teaching her about a 300 WBY!
JoeliePop1.jpg

She cut her teeth on horns!
JoelieDad.jpg

And this year she learned how to clean a dove! She love bird hunting and running the dog!
IMG_6003_sm.jpg

I am going to have to start working on getting her a real gun fixed up in the next year or two!

Shawn,

You should be very proud! When he steps up to a 222 or 223 or something to kill a whitetail with we will have to arrange some sort of hunt for him. I love watching young kiddos shoot does or hogs or even management deer!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.