Best choice for starting out

nwcook

Have been doing varmint/target shooting for many years. Currently own two Howa Varmint supreme's in .223. Want to get started in some long range bench as well as deer, antelope and elk out west. Looking for input on the best rifle for price in .308. I read many articles about CZ, Howa, Ruger to name a few that fall in the under $600 category for heavy barrel versions. Looking for personal input based on real ownership and shooting results. Thanks.
Wayne

I can only comment on the Ruger. Owned and shot several. Bought them b/c I could afford them. Never happy with overall accuracy until I began reloading. Then I was able to achieve acceptable hunting groups for mid range: 1" at 100.

Long story short, bbl was ruined in flood, got a new Hart bbl put on, action trued, glass bed, float bbl. Now this Ruger/Hart combo will punch several different bullets less than 1/2" with several different powders.

I've owned a Ruger 308 which defied any reputation of Ruger's inaccuracy problems. Shot as good or better than an out of the box Savage.

My current Hart bbl Ruger is a 270 and out of my 9 custom rifles it goes to a lot of places b/c it's so accurate.

I've personally Only dealt with one ruger and It shoots awesome factory It was chambered in a 243. If you do your part it will shoot .25 in groups. Savage is also a good shooting rifle along with remington. Or at least I've never had a problem with these rifles.

Have a nice day

for out of the box, the savages are head and shoulders above the Ruger. Bedding and trigger are biggest points.

Now rugers can be made to shoot, but not without lot of work and luck in getting a decent barrel while all savages will shoot!

Lot of aftermarket items for savages versus none for ruger.

Go with the Savage LE model or the BVSS.

BH

[ QUOTE ]
for out of the box, the savages are head and shoulders above the Ruger.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely.

[ QUOTE ]
Lot of aftermarket items for savages versus none for ruger.
BH

[/ QUOTE ]

You can get a Rifle Basix trigger for the Ruger and have it factory preset to 1# if you wish. That's what they told me anyway. But an aftermarket stock might be hard to come by if at all. The one thing I do NOT like about the Ruger is the angled action screw.

Since Savage has been mentioned, I'd strongly advise you go with them. Pull button bbl, nice trigger, pillar bedded. You can't go wrong.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts