Is this rifle the right one to use

Yes I have already purchased a savage 110 7 rem mag instead of the venture. I have considered just putting my money towards good glass for the 06 but maybe I'm being lazy but I would rather leave the 06 setup for deer hunting and have a separate rifle for the range. Information is a necessity for me tho.
What are the brands I should be looking for when trying to get a good quality set of rings and a scope. Something that won't break the bank to bad.
Is it at all possible to find these scopes for like $200?

Well, an old cowboy once said... "Good saddles ain't cheap, and cheap saddles ain't good". You could say the same about optics, rings, and bases as well.

No, you will not find a $200 scope that will handle this task repeatably over and over again.

The closest thing to $200 would be the SWFA SS... They are great scopes for the money.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42M-Tactical-Riflescope-P53713.aspx

For rings, you want something quality (not cheap) that will take the bumps and knocks and keep that scope locked-down tight. I recommend Seekins Precision rings, I use them on almost EVERY precision rifle I own (I still have a few with different setups). With that scope you will want 30mm low height rings.

http://swfa.com/Seekins-Precision-Scope-30mm-Rings-P47911.aspx

For a base, you will want a 20MOA for reaching out to 1K yards. I use EGW HD bases on all my rifles. Not sure if yours is a round receiver or flat receiver...

http://swfa.com/EGW-HD-Picatinny-Rail-1-Piece-Scope-Mount-P56785.aspx

http://swfa.com/EGW-Picatinny-Rail-1-Piece-Scope-Mount-P46216.aspx

Here is my TC Venture in 30-06 with a SWFA 10x SS and it regularly hits the 1moa plate at 1000 yards.
It's very accurate with any bullet I try in it.
I like heavy bullets so I put a Witt Machine clamp on brake to tame down the recoil..
It is by far my favorite rifle in my stable.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 84
Here is my latest load test with 208 ELDs and Reloader 17.
I have since fine tuned that load and got it a little tighter.. This rifle will shoot a entire load work up under a inch...

As a side note, the 7mag TC only comes in a 1-10 twist. Which ok for 168 class bullets. The 7-08 version comes in a 1-9 twist and would be a great cartridge to shoot long range target and steel with good barrel life and perfectly capable ballistics..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 100
Here is my TC Venture in 30-06 with a SWFA 10x SS and it regularly hits the 1moa plate at 1000 yards.
It's very accurate with any bullet I try in it.
I like heavy bullets so I put a Witt Machine clamp on brake to tame down the recoil..
It is by far my favorite rifle in my stable.
That's how mine shoots to. Iv only shot two bullets out of it. But regardless of which is in it, either Remington or federal rounds it will put all three holes together.
I do kinda regret not taking the sale price on the venture in 7mag. I decided to go with the savage because of its ability to be worked on by myself. But I completely believe I could have used the venture for the shooting I want to do.
All the information I got from everyone here was great and it swayed my decision purely because of what I just stated. Some people in my family can't get it out of their heads that I don't want to do competition shooting at all. This is purely a hobby of mine. I like going out with me and my brother or me and my buddy and just pinging steel. One guy keeps trying to drag me to these competitions that the local shooting range has for Long range shooting and pistols. But that takes all the fun of it for me. I enjoy the challenge. That's all
Oh and nice lookin gun man. What glass is that you got on it?
And just out of curiosity how many yards do you zero it in at?

Well, an old cowboy once said... "Good saddles ain't cheap, and cheap saddles ain't good". You could say the same about optics, rings, and bases as well.

No, you will not find a $200 scope that will handle this task repeatably over and over again.

The closest thing to $200 would be the SWFA SS... They are great scopes for the money.

SWFA SS 10x42M Tactical Riflescope | SWFA

For rings, you want something quality (not cheap) that will take the bumps and knocks and keep that scope locked-down tight. I recommend Seekins Precision rings, I use them on almost EVERY precision rifle I own (I still have a few with different setups). With that scope you will want 30mm low height rings.

Seekins Precision Scope 30mm Rings | SWFA

For a base, you will want a 20MOA for reaching out to 1K yards. I use EGW HD bases on all my rifles. Not sure if yours is a round receiver or flat receiver...

EGW HD Picatinny Rail 1 Piece Scope Mount | SWFA

EGW Picatinny Rail 1 Piece Scope Mount | SWFA
Those prices are not that bad. I figured 200 was way to low but I wanted to give you a small amount in hopes you would provide information for the cheapest yet capable equipment you knew of. I figured I would have almost 1000 into the glass rings and base. So if I can get away with it for 6-700 dollars that's great news for me.

I guess it's a good its getting into winter. I won't be doing any shooting for a few months being that the snow is about to fly and won't be gone till march. So I have plenty of time to save up and buy the glass and what not and get it ready to go.

That's how mine shoots to. Iv only shot two bullets out of it. But regardless of which is in it, either Remington or federal rounds it will put all three holes together.
I do kinda regret not taking the sale price on the venture in 7mag. I decided to go with the savage because of its ability to be worked on by myself. But I completely believe I could have used the venture for the shooting I want to do.
All the information I got from everyone here was great and it swayed my decision purely because of what I just stated. Some people in my family can't get it out of their heads that I don't want to do competition shooting at all. This is purely a hobby of mine. I like going out with me and my brother or me and my buddy and just pinging steel. One guy keeps trying to drag me to these competitions that the local shooting range has for Long range shooting and pistols. But that takes all the fun of it for me. I enjoy the challenge. That's all
Oh and nice lookin gun man. What glass is that you got on it?
And just out of curiosity how many yards do you zero it in at?
Thats a SWFA SS 10 power. I have it on a EGW 20 Moa rail zeroed at 100 yards. There is tons of elevation in that scope, so a 20 Moa rail is probably not needed for 1000 yards..

Thats a SWFA SS 10 power. I have it on a EGW 20 Moa rail zeroed at 100 yards. There is tons of elevation in that scope, so a 20 Moa rail is probably not needed for 1000 yards..
So you can shoot 100 yards and 1000 all from the same platform?
I didn't think that was possible. I thought once you set them up for long range that was really all you could do with it.

So you can shoot 100 yards and 1000 all from the same platform?
I didn't think that was possible. I thought once you set them up for long range that was really all you could do with it.

It all depends on the total elevation in your scope.

It all depends on the total elevation in your scope.
Well that scope is the same one that was recommended to me by another guy in here. He also recommended swfa 30mm rings and swfa 20 moa rail. So I reckon I'll have the same setup as you.
That would be great if I could do 100-1000 all with the same rifle. You really got me excited about that.

Well that scope is the same one that was recommended to me by another guy in here. He also recommended swfa 30mm rings and swfa 20 moa rail. So I reckon I'll have the same setup as you.
That would be great if I could do 100-1000 all with the same rifle. You really got me excited about that.
The 30-06 is a good one to learn longrange wind.

I think he's saying practice with your .06 until your 7MM Rem Mag is ready.
Well the thing is the only thing holding me back is the scope and rings and rail. I only have the most basic of stuff on the 06. So it can't get me much past 200 lol. once I get all the things I need I'll probably just through them into the 7 mag. But all the talk about the 06 I'm considering now just putting everything into and using 7 mag as my hunting rifle. It's a bit over kill for the distances I shoot deer at but I think if I just stick to like 130 grain bullets it would be just fine

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.