Is this rifle the right one to use

Tas5937

I am new to long range shooting. The local gun shop near my house has a sale going on for the t/c venture. I already have this rifle in 30 06 and its accuracy at 100 yards is generally within .5 inch. So anyway I am considering going tomorrow to buy the t/c venture in 7mm rem mag to use for long range shooting at the range. Starting at a simple 200 and would like to eventually reach 1000 yards. Is this rifle going to be the right one for the job and if so is the caliber I want the right one or should I go with a 300 win mag or maybe even not a mag at all???

Also just to note. My interests at this point are purely just to hit the target. I know if I want to drive tacks and 1000 yards I need a 1500 dollar scope and probably twice as much in the rifle. I just want to have and enjoy hearing the bullet hit metal.

If you can get it with at least a 26" barrel I'd say it might be a good way to go.

TC's have a very loyal but very limited following. The guys that shoot them seem to be very happy with them but TC isn't mentioned here very often.

Anything that will consistently shoot sub MOA groups for you and have a dead nutz absolutely reliable cold bore shot will do the trick in this game quite well.

I believe the mags do come in 26 inch barrel. All others caliber a come 24 but they added two for 7 mag and 300. Iv never shot my 06 for any accuracy tho with the cold bore. I never really tried. Usually just a fire a round off the clean it out before starting to aim. However i was shooting today and had no change in accuracy as the barrel got hot. To hot to touch and it still held groups under 1 inch. Again this is only at 100 yards but I am absolutely pleased with the rifle this far. My fear for 7 mag tho is with how light the gun is. Iv heard the those kinds of calibers can actually flex the stock and throw it off when going those distances.

If you can get it with at least a 26" barrel I'd say it might be a good way to go.

TC's have a very loyal but very limited following. The guys that shoot them seem to be very happy with them but TC isn't mentioned here very often.

Anything that will consistently shoot sub MOA groups for you and have a dead nutz absolutely reliable cold bore shot will do the trick in this game quite well.
My other dilemma here is just money. I don't have much to throw around so any tips on any other affordable you may have would be greatly appreciated. My only reason for jumping the gun with the venture is that the gun shop has it on sale for $379. Comes with a scope and case to so I figured if it would do the job it's a good deal.

My other dilemma here is just money. I don't have much to throw around so any tips on any other affordable you may have would be greatly appreciated. My only reason for jumping the gun with the venture is that the gun shop has it on sale for $379. Comes with a scope and case to so I figured if it would do the job it's a good deal.
Iv also considered the savage edge or the Marlin x7 but I don't believe they come in the caliber I want.

I believe the mags do come in 26 inch barrel. All others caliber a come 24 but they added two for 7 mag and 300. Iv never shot my 06 for any accuracy tho with the cold bore. I never really tried. Usually just a fire a round off the clean it out before starting to aim. However i was shooting today and had no change in accuracy as the barrel got hot. To hot to touch and it still held groups under 1 inch. Again this is only at 100 yards but I am absolutely pleased with the rifle this far. My fear for 7 mag tho is with how light the gun is. Iv heard the those kinds of calibers can actually flex the stock and throw it off when going those distances.

Negative! The 7MM Rem Mag and .300 WM dose not come in 26" from the factory.

I helped quite a few friends set-up TC Ventures; from .270 Wins to .300 WMs. For those .300 WMs that I developed loads for, they are will under 1 MOA at 300 yards. Recoil are tolerable but a pleasure to shoot with the right muzzle brake.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the 7MM Rem Mag or .300 WM, it boils down to personal preference.

Good luck!

Negative! The 7MM Rem Mag and .300 WM dose not come in 26" from the factory.

I helped quite a few friends set-up TC Ventures; from .270 Wins to .300 WMs. For those .300 WMs that I developed loads for, they are will under 1 MOA at 300 yards. Recoil are tolerable but a pleasure to shoot with the right muzzle brake.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the 7MM Rem Mag or .300 WM, it boils down to personal preference.

Good luck!
What do you know about how hard it is to change the barrel on the venture I heard it's rather hard but is it possible for me to switch barrels and stuff on my own if I buy the proper tools for it? Or is a gunsmith a necessity?

What do you know about how hard it is to change the barrel on the venture I heard it's rather hard but is it possible for me to switch barrels and stuff on my own if I buy the proper tools for it? Or is a gunsmith a necessity?

They are NOT DIY friendly esp. if you do not have the right tools. IIWY, if you absolutely want to use this action for your build and need to re-barrel it, I'd have a reputable gunsmith do it.

Just taking a different route, but have you thought about putting that money towards a good, reliable scope for the ol '06? Just banging steel at 1000 with your already sub moa rifle? Kick around the idea of better glass and stretching the 30-06's legs a bit. She'll send lead that far for sure.... Hopefully I'm not completely off base here but you may already own that which you seek. Then again, another rifle is never the wrong answer:D.

Just taking a different route, but have you thought about putting that money towards a good, reliable scope for the ol '06? Just banging steel at 1000 with your already sub moa rifle? Kick around the idea of better glass and stretching the 30-06's legs a bit. She'll send lead that far for sure.... Hopefully I'm not completely off base here but you may already own that which you seek. Then again, another rifle is never the wrong answer:D.

I was going to say the same thing. The 30-06 held many long range shooting records for a long time. There is nothing wrong with stretching it out there.

Put the money towards a scope with target turrets. And make sure the turrets match the reticle (both Mil or both MOA).

Also, you do not need to spend $1,500 on a scope to shoot long distance.

You do not need a magnum cartridge to shoot long distance.

If you have any extra money after buying the correct kind of scope needed for long range shooting, put that money towards a single stage or turret press.

A lot of people will ask in forums what is the perfect "do everything" cartridge. I don't believe in this philosophy. But if I had to pick a "do everything" cartridge, it would be hard to look past the 30-06.

If the 30-06 never existed. If our choices went from 308 right to 300 Win Mag... And then a company came out with the 30-06 today but instead called it a trendy marketing name like a "30 Medium Magnum"; it would be super popular. I'm just saying...

"Better ballistics than a 308 using heavier bullets? And less recoil than a 300 Win Mag? Where do it get one!!!?"

:)

By the time you bought proper tools or paid a gunsmith to do this, you would be much better off just buying this...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog..._id/79957/Remington+700+SPS+LR+7MM+MAG+BLKGRY

Also, for hitting at 1,000 yards, that cheap combo scope that comes in the package is not going to get you there...Even with a 7mmRM. You don't need a $1,500 scope, but you will need a much higher quality scope than the cheap one that comes in the rifle package. You will also need a quality set of rings, and a good solid 20 MOA base.

For now, you could always buy the rifle, then save up for the scope. Or, like others have said, spend that money towards a better scope setup for your .30-06.

If you would like any help or recommendations, feel free to ask. There's a lot of knowledgeable people on here.

By the time you bought proper tools or paid a gunsmith to do this, you would be much better off just buying this...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog..._id/79957/Remington+700+SPS+LR+7MM+MAG+BLKGRY

Also, for hitting at 1,000 yards, that cheap combo scope that comes in the package is not going to get you there...Even with a 7mmRM. You don't need a $1,500 scope, but you will need a much higher quality scope than the cheap one that comes in the rifle package. You will also need a quality set of rings, and a good solid 20 MOA base.

For now, you could always buy the rifle, then save up for the scope. Or, like others have said, spend that money towards a better scope setup for your .30-06.

If you would like any help or recommendations, feel free to ask. There's a lot of knowledgeable people on here.
Yes I have already purchased a savage 110 7 rem mag instead of the venture. I have considered just putting my money towards good glass for the 06 but maybe I'm being lazy but I would rather leave the 06 setup for deer hunting and have a separate rifle for the range. Information is a necessity for me tho.
What are the brands I should be looking for when trying to get a good quality set of rings and a scope. Something that won't break the bank to bad.
Is it at all possible to find these scopes for like $200?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.