Just starting out.

pgohil

I'm just starting out into long range shooting. Here's what I got. Savage 10fcp-k topped with a millett lrs-1. Going to add a cheek piece later this week or next. Gun shoots great. .5 to. 75 moa out to 200 yards. Haven got to shoot farther. Here in south central wv, I'm limited as to the range I have to shoot.
Anyhow I've tried federal gamekings, matchings, and hornady match, and the sierra match king 168's group the best. The others seemed all over the place. I don't know why.

2012-08-08_21-37-58_336.jpg

Last edited:
308. Between the brake out front and savages factory recoil pad, its a joy to shoot. Recoil is bout like a 22-250 or 223

Yep, that's about right. I'm a Savage fan through and through. I had the 12VLP in .308. It was a very good shooter. Had to sell to fix up the house. Miss the old girl, but get to stroke the trigger on it every once in a while. My cousin bought it off of me. It wears a Lothar Walther barrel now. I'll tell you, for shooting to 1K, you'll want to try the Berger 168 Hybrid. They seem to be a good bullet for both the Lothar barrel and a short barreled rifle I own. It shoots very well and has the BC to get you there. Other options are the 168 NBT's and 180's for past 850yds. Have fun with it.

Tank

Just from looking at your pic you might want to go with medium height runs instead of the highs. That way you don't have to crane your neck so much. Just a suggestion. Liltank's .308 is a dream to shoot, it will pretty much shoot one hole groups at a 100 and it will shoot good way past that as well.

Just from looking at your pic you might want to go with medium height runs instead of the highs. That way you don't have to crane your neck so much. Just a suggestion. Liltank's .308 is a dream to shoot, it will pretty much shoot one hole groups at a 100 and it will shoot good way past that as well.
Ditto. I'd put it on a rail, move it forward past the end of the bolt handle when the bolt is back, and put it on a set of lows or ultra low rings.

It'll save a lot of neck aches and make it much easier to get a good consistent mount and eye alignment.

I'm just starting out into long range shooting. Here's what I got. Savage 10fcp-k topped with a millett lrs-1. Going to add a cheek piece later this week or next. Gun shoots great. .5 to. 75 moa out to 200 yards. Haven got to shoot farther. Here in south central wv, I'm limited as to the range I have to shoot.
Anyhow I've tried federal gamekings, matchings, and hornady match, and the sierra match king 168's group the best. The others seemed all over the place. I don't know why.
Nice rig and a great choice in caliber to get yourself started. The .308 is cheap to shoot, very manageable recoil and can drive nails with the right combo of load, scope, and rifle.

Welcome to the addiction.gun)

Thanks everyone for your warm welcome. As far as the rings go, actually I believe a set of low I gs would fit great. But I'm a tight *** right now. Lol.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.