Just starting and its not that difficult...is it?

jimisbell

LRH Team Member
I have begun to gather my "kit" so I can begin LRS and ULRS. My scope is MilDot and the turret is 1/10 MOA. I was looking at rangefinders (ONLY RANGEFINDER, no bells and whistles) and they seem to be expensive so I assumed it was difficult. Wrong! Its a simple calculation. As I continued on I looked at the MilDot analog calculator for $30 and figured that was the way to go. But if that was the way to go then surely someone has written an APP for my smart phone. So I looked and found many. But not one will just do the calculation (target height in inches x 27.77)/(MilDots)=Yards. Every blessed one wants all sorts of input and most wont yield yards. I have a Lapua calculator to do all the other inpiuts and tell me how many clicks on the turret. I just want to calculate range from my reticle and none are designed to do that simple calculation. I can do the basic formula on my calculator faster than I can wade thru the APPs that are offered for my phone.
Am I missing something???

ShtrRdy

Just use your calculator. As you suggested - it's an easy calculation.

As you'll find out when you try ranging objects further away with your reticle - the errors introduced become much greater. Therefore your range estimate will be further off. This is where modern LRF shine. They give you a more accurate measurement of the distance to an object.

I need to double check something that you wrote. Do you really have a turret that is 1//10th MOA?

jimisbell

LRH Team Member
Yes, That is what the markings say on the turrets. But I have yet to get it to the field to check it. I also questioned it, but the only way to know for sure is to shoot it. I am looking for a weekend school to start off on the right foot. With COVID19 things are very slow. Its not really important, a click is a click is a click. I was mainly interested in getting a MilDot reticle which is what they sent me.

Last edited:

jimisbell

LRH Team Member
Inaccuracy in range will not be a problem at first, because I cant shoot that far anyway...LOL But later I can get a better rangefinder if needed. BUT I am interested in target only so most times I should know the range before I start.

georgiaoutlaw

Just use your calculator. As you suggested - it's an easy calculation.

As you'll find out when you try ranging objects further away with your reticle - the errors introduced become much greater. Therefore your range estimate will be further off. This is where modern LRF shine. They give you a more accurate measurement of the distance to an object.

I need to double check something that you wrote. Do you really have a turret that is 1//10th MOA?
in ur opinion u think it’s Neto sight a 6.5creedmore in a little high at 100yds for deer hunting purposes thanks

Chuk4blast

you'll have to convert everything on a dope chart with correct clicks, thats the only problem with a Mil-dot ret / MOA turrets, not very convenient but it can be done. If you find it doesnt suit you, you may be able to change the reticle

25WSM

The quality and accuracy of rangefinders has improved to much and prices have gotten so low I would just get a simple one. I go to a range that has a ton of steel literally set out to 1200 yards and I use my rangefinders on these all the time. Even a simple 1000 yard one will read steel plates or the berm that far.
Shep

BallisticsGuy

So you want something analog that you can feed a target size and a mil subtend and it'll give you the turret setting? I publish a spreadsheet that you can use to create drop tables something like a BDC.

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 9.17.58 AM.png

jimisbell

LRH Team Member
No, I was just looking for a simple APP for my phone that would do ONLY one thing. Solve the equation of inches times 27.77 divided by MilDots equals yards. Its not difficult and I can do it easy on my calculator but I was hoping for a simple APP to do it with just the two inputs and hit "carriage return." In the old days of computing (1960-2000) those things were easy but now everyone wants to make things difficult to justify their work. Now you have to purchase a $160 instrument to do just that one calculation.

Trending threads