Son's First Buck

this is awesome! how have you talked about breaking down animals and what ones are for food etc? have you been taking him on other hunts? what rifle did you find that would fit him?

My oldest got his first Buck this weekend at 6 years old. He made a perfect top of the heart shot at 305 Yards with my custom 243 shooting Nosler 85 Gr partitions. I was ranging and calling out the adjustments. The buck just took about 3 jumps and tipped over tail just spinning!
Lots of practice went into this shot, I knew he could make it cause he went 10 for 10 on clay pigeons at 300 yards this summer. Not to mention thousands of 22lr shot in practice. Also we would practice dry fire over and over again while in the field until his follow through was rock solid and his patients for more dry fire was at an end ;)
I can't help but think the future of long range hunting is in good hands!View attachment 156664
Nice buck, and great shooting.
Congratulations to you and him.
Also congratulations on the first of many great memories for you guys!!

That's so awesome you are a great dad I hope some day your kid realizes how lucky he is. Nothing better that enjoying Gods out doors with your kids

My daughter shoots her .243 lights out although she has 2 kids of her own now

Really? That kinda stinks. I killed my first deer when I was 7. Hoping to start ny boy when he's 6. Only 4 now but he really wants to go lol.
Take him now even if he doesn't get to shoot or handle the gun. I started taking my two sons hunting at 2 years old they loved it and still to this day love it . Didn't take them deer hunting till they was 4-5 just don't push them to much when their done you need to be done for the day to. Take lots of snacks maybe even the game boy or whatever new attention getter these kids are playing now and make an afternoon of it also hearing protection for them most definitely.
I can remember going with my dad squirrel hunting and never did I remember going home in the evenings I'd just wake up in bed the next morning he'd carry me to the house every time till I was bout 5. I promise you won't regret it

this is awesome! how have you talked about breaking down animals and what ones are for food etc? have you been taking him on other hunts? what rifle did you find that would fit him?
For sure I do! I have showed him how to skin every critter from a Wood duck to a coyote, Beaver, and He has helped me to skin almost every deer since he has been old enough to hold a flashlight. I take him on almost every type of hunting or fishing trip I go on, one crappie trip at -8 deg when he was 4 I told him we have to go, and he started crying saying he wasn't ready Yet;)
My 243 has the McMillan A5 Stock, So I just adjusted the cheek piece to fit Him. And luckily My Vortex PST II has some really generous eye relief, definitely not a perfect fit for him, but he makes due.

Doghunter23 cherish these days it won't be long and he'll be wanting to hunt by himself. My 2 sons still want to go with me but want to hunt there spot. Not ol dads no more . The grass may be greener over there type deal. It's still fun and all in good times but man I miss them being right with me . I still get them usually one day a week to hunt right with me during our gun season. But with that said just get them kids out and about in the wilds

My oldest got his first Buck this weekend at 6 years old. He made a perfect top of the heart shot at 305 Yards with my custom 243 shooting Nosler 85 Gr partitions. I was ranging and calling out the adjustments. The buck just took about 3 jumps and tipped over tail just spinning!
Lots of practice went into this shot, I knew he could make it cause he went 10 for 10 on clay pigeons at 300 yards this summer. Not to mention thousands of 22lr shot in practice. Also we would practice dry fire over and over again while in the field until his follow through was rock solid and his patients for more dry fire was at an end ;)
I can't help but think the future of long range hunting is in good hands!View attachment 156664

Great buck! Congrats.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.