Son's first elk gun

Consider his length of pull and his strength to hold up a full-size rifle as the first things to address this issue. By the age of 14, he will have changed a lot.

I would refrain from getting a rifle that just beats him up in recoil, as unintended consequences may happen. Whatever you get him, get him to the range and shoot often which will be incredible "quality time" for the both of you.

Model 7's in 7/08 with a Gentry muzzle break is what we now start our young members in the family out with. These rifles are not too heavy for them to handle and feel confident with. Peltor Tac 6 electronic ear muffs add a new dimension to hunting for youngsters.

We spend a lot of time with the youngsters with bolt action single shot and tube feed 22s and 22 Magnums. Shooting at animal crackers glued to cardboard at 50 yards is a good time at the rifle range! Then move to the 1 3/4
mini clay pigeons at 100 yards.

Or, possibly use the existing stock. Drill 2 1/4" holes from the butt about 3" deep, where they don't interfere with the holes for the recoil pad. Cut the stock to whatever LOP he needs. Save the piece you cut off- 1/4" dowels will orient it to the stock correctly in the future. Install a new recoil pad, leaving the original on the piece you cut off. All it will take is some sanding in the future to lengthen back to the original (less 1/4" for the cut made). Old school method, but has worked many times over the years.

.280AI for a 12 y/o?
Are you putting a muzzle break on this?
Are you putting a suppressor on this?
I respect you want more horsepower for elk but a .280 is too much gun for a 12 y/o.
He hunts with and hits with a 6.5 Creedmoor successfully now. That is more than enough HP for an elk using the right bullet. (Nosler Partition, Swift Scirocco, Nosler Accubond, Barnes TTSX.)
Try to go back to age 12. Less kick = more fun = more success.
I vote for the 6.5 Creedmoor for now.
Guess what would be an AWESOME 18 y/o graduation or birthday gift? A nice .280 AI rifle

.280AI for a 12 y/o?
Are you putting a muzzle break on this?
Are you putting a suppressor on this?
I respect you want more horsepower for elk but a .280 is too much gun for a 12 y/o.
He hunts with and hits with a 6.5 Creedmoor successfully now. That is more than enough HP for an elk using the right bullet. (Nosler Partition, Swift Scirocco, Nosler Accubond, Barnes TTSX.)
Try to go back to age 12. Less kick = more fun = more success.
I vote for the 6.5 Creedmoor for now.
Guess what would be an AWESOME 18 y/o graduation or birthday gift? A nice .280 AI rifle

You may be correct… I started out with a 7 lb., Model 88 Winchester in .308 Win., as a skinny kid of 14. It came with a plastic butt, and didn't gain any weight (a scope) until many years later. I actually shot it pretty darn well with open sights.

But, my life was forever changed. It "rattled my cage" so badly…..I constantly wanted bigger and more powerful cartridges! 😉😁

It's all about what the young man wants and can handle! Who knows…..as a man he may want something more than a "man bun"! 😂 memtb

Gun will be suppressed..as I said he has shot my 300wm suppressed at the range with no problems..he's creeping up of 5ft and weights about 130..definitely not a little kid..as far as recoil goes and remembering when I was his age..I bought a 7rem mag at 13 and it was my only gun to shoot tell I was probably 20

Remember the 6.5 was Grand Fathers gun ,can't leave Him hanging, he's our Cook Extraordinaire,& Grand Story teller.
Who do you think the OPs mentor was ?!!!.

Recent Posts