First gun for my son...questions

The Oregonian

He will be 7 this summer and want to get him into shooting this year. Want to start him with a bolt action. Haven't started a kid with guns so don't have any experience...any suggestions are helpful.

Few questions....17HMR or 22?

Seems 17 is more accurate and a better all around gun bc of that, but never owned one.

For either cartridge you recommend, what gun would you choose? Want to stay in the $300 or less range as I would like to move him to a short action (243, 260, etc) when he is ready...not sure when that may be (anyone with experience?)

Thx in advance.

Edited to add that he will only shoot this supervised and not have access to it when I am not around. That part comes later...just wanted to cut off a side-tracked conversation before it may start.

My son is almost 10, and I still haven't gotten him a rifle. I did let him shoot my Marlin 22 LR several times since he was about 8.

What caught my eye is even that little rifle was way too big for him to hold and cycle the bolt. I might think about one of those Ruger bolt action 10/22 deals, they look fairly compact.

Just make sure it would fit him. Good luck!

I started my oldest son shooting a .22LR at age 5 with a Winchester 77 semi-auto but I taught him to load only one at a time. It did not fit him well and too cumbersome for him at his age but he did extremely well.

If I have to do it all over again, I would start him with a .22 LR bolt action from Chipmunk Rifles ... but that's just me.

I started with a bb gun then went to 22, 17 wasn't around then 17 is easier to get ammo for now days. Chipmunk is a great idea. Later a 243 is a good big game rifle they make a lot of youth rifles now I had to cut stock down in the old days.

In my opinion:
Older bolt action .22. One that's been shot enough to make the action slick, as many new guns are so tight that he may have trouble manipulating the action.
The longer the barrel, the better. It will give a longer sight radius, helping him to aim better and give him more confidence, and is also quieter.

I have an old Remington that was handed down from my dad. It fits the above description, and if placed in the average 7 year olds hands, it usually takes some serious negotiation to get it back! gun)

Some of my best memories are plinking with a 22. I have no idea how young I was. 5 or 6 maybe. I remember my dad helping me do everything but pull the trigger. And I don't know how many times I got whipped over my Daisy BB gun. No grasshopper was safe. Those were fun times, and it's where the addiction began. Can't wait till my kids old enough to play that way.

Savage Little rascal 22 LR. Has a peep sight which is easy for kids to use and has the savage accu trigger and not some 7 pound trigger that is hard to pull. Look them up.

I just picked up a Savage in 17 HMR for this years sage rat hunt.

A new model, good trigger, rail installed, larger bolt knob, 16.5" heavy barrel. It has a flash hider for looks I suppose. No sights.

The kids had an opportunity to use the 17 HMR on rats, alongside the .22LR, zero contest.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.