Son's first elk gun

There's lots of great choices in the family of 06 cases ,25/06 fast twist Or 1-10 twist for 115,117,270 wcf with a 26 1/10 twist Or 1/8 twist shooting 150,160,165,or 170"s.280 Or 280 ai fast twist Or not ,30/06 1/10 Or fast twist . I've always run a longer bbl and didn't do any ai , I still got my speed with normal brass , but that's just me . 06 brass is plentiful it takes lots to burn out a bbl. Riddle me this what can't a 06 bullet weighing 165/168 grains,going 2900 + fps not accomplish. The Sky's the limit enjoy the Quest,cheers .😉🥳😆

The creedmorenwould be fine for head and neck shots..but not somthing I want him doing quite yet that's why I thought the bigger 280ai would work well without alot of recoil..plus I have a pretty good supply of 150 and 160grn .284 cal bullets

What makes you think the Creedmoor is only good for head and neck shots?

It's good for near everything…..with surgical bullet placement and the proper bullet for it's assigned task!

It's just very much overrated …..IMHO. memtb
Agreed..it will kill anything with proper placement but so will a 22-250.. beings it's for a kid we all know how what can happen..sometimes a little bigger bullet is helpful when shots don't turn out to be perfect

So the boy turns 12 this year and is asking for an elk gun for next fall..he has killed a few deer with his grandpa's 6.5 creedmore and has shot my 300wm suppressed at the range with no problems..I am thinking a 280ai should be about perfect and have a donor rem 700 in 3006..my question is. As a growing kid what adjustable stock would be best? Any suggestions and/ or pics would be great.
My recommendation is just run a 1in8 twist barrel in the 280ai to give options for heavier or longer bullets in the future. My son likes his and just killed cow elk running the 140 absolute hunters at 3250fps. With the muzzle brake there isn't much recoil.

MDT hnt 26 would be a great lightweight youth hunting chassis. Fully adjustable. Get it without the folder option and you can keep the weight down significantly. It's a setup he could keep for his whole life. The thing is fun to shoot as well. He would be stoked. The only minus is it's not very traditional and it's expensive. 280 AI braked would be perfect.

I'd build a first rifle as a general purpose, do all rifle. Ammo sold at Wal Mart logistics. .280 AI is a rifle nerd's option, which I love, but wouldn't choose. Having 3 sons, I have been down this road, and they may not be into this like you are.
.30-06 on a long action is a forever useful option for any level of shooter.

Proof barrel at a handy 22 in and a brake/supressor mount. Thunderbeast Dominus CB maybe.

Honestly, I've never saved money building a 700 and vowed not to do it again. I'd look at a custom from the start.

If you are set on the 700, have a good smith work over the 700 and a Badger rail for the top.

Just a thought…West Texas Ordnance switch lug might give you a switch barrel option too, but require a little work on the chassis inlet.

Cerakote to complement the chassis of choice.

Good sling.
Arca mount options with the mdt chassis.
Add a modular bipod and a nice case with tools and cleaning gear.

This is not mine but will would be a nice option

Thanks

Buck

Attachments

• C0829F71-233D-4DB5-96BC-0DC962642A6A.png
    C0829F71-233D-4DB5-96BC-0DC962642A6A.png
    229.6 KB · Views: 47

Recent Posts