Silencerco harvester300

It's true that you can get hearing loss from noises over 85 decibels, but the length of time you're exposed to those sounds is what matters. A gunshot is only a split second. So a few shots from a suppressed rifle that are under 140 decibels are considered hearing safe. If you're going to shoot more than a few shots, then you still need hearing protection. And if you shoot a suppressed AR-15, the sound at your ear will be over 140 even if the sound at the muzzle is under 140, because of the sound coming out of the ejection port, so you should always use hearing protection on an AR-15 or other semi-automatic rifle. There's a helpful chart I found here: https://www.noisehelp.com/noise-dose.html

Maximum Recommended Noise Dose
Exposure Levels

Noise Level (dBA) Maximum Exposure Time per 24 Hours
85 8 hours
88 4 hours
91 2 hours
94 1 hour
97 30 minutes
100 15 minutes
103 7.5 minutes
106 3.7 minutes
109 112 seconds
112 56 seconds
115 28 seconds
118 14 seconds
121 7 seconds
124 3 seconds
127 1 second
130–140 less than 1 second
140 NO EXPOSURE

I have a guy here in Va. who has a shop where he makes his own suppressors. He's fully legal, but doesn't sell his like the big companies do. I have a lot of his and they all perform wonderfully! My rifles actually shoot more accurately with it than without. Mine are all direct attach, screw on. I think you should do a lot of checking around before jumping on one brand. Big investment, but once you make the jump, you should be very happy you did join the quiet shooters!
One thing I haven't seen talked about is a heat shield cover. Those cans get extremely hot! Causes heat waves ( mirage) in addition to burnt fingers.
As to sound levels, I have found that differing weather/winds make a difference as to how loud the shots are. Also, first shot is always louder than next ones. Something about air/oxygen in tube? In a PD town, I wear ear plugs because the guy next to me doesn't shoot suppressed! I haven't, with my cans, usually needed ear plugs when I'm out in the open. Under a roof, sometimes, indoors, yes.

I have a AAC 7.62 SD with AAC adapters on 6 rifles from .308 to 300 win mag and my ar's . Works wonderfully with all .
However it really shines with sub sonic rounds at range sessions.

Mfg do reuse sn#. I work in the industry. They destroy the one and reprint the number on a new can. I promise you they do. When you get the repaired can back with new style letters and it looks perfect, it's new. Rugged has a good system where the SN# is printed on a thickened center band. If the need to replace the suppressor comes. the cut the SN center band out and weld it to new tube ends.
Mfg can't reuse serial numbers. There was an ATF ruling in 2008

Last edited:
Mfg do reuse sn. I work in the industry. They distroy the one and reprint the number on a new can. I promis you they do. When you get the repaired can back with new style letters , its new.

I too work in the industry. My understanding is that if the serialized part is destroyed after it has been destroyed you are SOL. I had this happen personally with a defective suppressor. The MFG paid for my new tax stamp, so no cost to me, but I had to wait again and it had a different serial number.

Attachments

• 4CC51624-CD12-4C38-816A-53B208EDAA94.jpeg
    4CC51624-CD12-4C38-816A-53B208EDAA94.jpeg
    79.6 KB · Views: 41
When I was at the silencer shop in Austin, they told me that since the harvester is aluminum, you will have to limit your shots to around 4 or 5 and then let it cool. They claimed that after that it could damage the silencer.

That swayed my purchase. I bought a rugged micro 30. Lifetime warranty. Waiting on the ATF now.
Silencerco dropped the Slencer shop as a dealer What business drops a dealer for no good reason? So I would not take their opinion ever. Silencerco warranties their product for life. Alimuim housings are not a problem at all the insides are not aluminum and will hold up to AR rifles. What he told you is very misleading for a reason. Sorry to hear that.

I too work in the industry. My understanding is that if the serialized part is destroyed after it has been destroyed you are SOL. I had this happen personally with a defective suppressor. The MFG paid for my new tax stamp, so no cost to me, but I had to wait again and it had a different serial number.
Im not saying you're wrong , just saying things happen.

Im not saying you're wrong , just saying things happen.

One of us has to be wrong. Our understandings of the law are in direct conflict. Either way I'd like to know but I can't see why, in the case of my suppressor, they would incur an additional 200$ expense if they didn't have to. I do know had my issue been a baffle strike/baffle issue new baffle stacks can be welded in. Mine had to be replaced because the serialized sleeve was defective.

One of us has to be wrong. Our understandings of the law are in direct conflict. Either way I'd like to know but I can't see why, in the case of my suppressor, they would incur an additional 200$ expense if they didn't have to. I do know had my issue been a baffle strike/baffle issue new baffle stacks can be welded in. Mine had to be replaced because the serialized sleeve was defective.
What I'm saying if I get a suppressor in for repairs but it is easier and cheaper for me to laser in the same number on a blank can and return it to the buyer, while destroying the other can. How will anyone know? how can you stop it? I'm saying it happens, the details of the law i dont know. I do know they can cut the suppressor up and rebuild them with all new parts including the tube as needed. Having 2 cans with the same number is not allowed. To be clear I dont repair suppressors. This is not about me.

im thinking about making the jump into suppressor use. A buddy of mine has a thunder beast ultra 9. I've gotten quite fond of hunting around a suppressor. So doing some research it looks like the silencerco harvester might fit my needs. It's only 11 ounces is rated up to.300 win mag which would be the biggest rifle I use it. Most of my use would be on my 5.56mm AR-15, but would occasionally see use on my .300 win mag or .308 win.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Also is it possible to easily switch these between rifles?

Thanks for any info.
I run a Harvester 300 on a .308 and a 300WM. The .308 is my PRS gun and it tames the bark and the recoil and is suitable for the volume of fire in a match and 200 round range sessions. The 300 Harvester is very light though it is a bit longer than others. It is also one of the best values in a .30 cal suppressor - under $500.

On my ARs, I run a SiCo Saker 556 and would only maybe consider a Surefire otherwise - suppression, construction, weight and durability factored together, it's pretty amazing. While possible to run a Harvester on a .223/5.56 platform, I would not use a Harvester on an AR or semi-auto. The rate of fire and heat is too much and it would probably fail catastrophically. If you suppress your AR, spend dollars and get a full-auto rated suppressor. The Omega and the Saker762 are much heavier than the Harvester.

And as others said, "hearing safe" does not mean no ear protection required.

Edited to add that SilencerCo's customer service has been amazing - I've had a couple of issues with an early fast attach device and most recently a baffle strike (through the anchor break on the Harvester) and their response time and turnaround has been superior.

I'm no expert on suppressors, but I read that the Harvesters are designed for low-volume use, specifically geared toward hunting. Someone else mentioned how they recommend that you only shoot 4 or 5 times through the Harvester before you let it cool. That wouldn't be much fun on an AR-15, and since you mentioned that most of your use would be on your AR-15, I think the Omega would be a much better choice.

You might want to check out the .30 caliber suppressor test that The Truth About Guns did last July. The Omega did well, but there were others that did appreciably better, and for a lot less money. Especially the YHM Resonator.

it's true that the harvester is not rated for full auto. However, the silencer shop has a video posted of one of their guys doing a 30 round mag dump with no issues, in an effort to refute the idea that the harvester is too fragile for AR use. I love my harvester direct thread, and use it for everything from 22 rimfire to 7 mag bolt Guns and AR-10 308.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.