WTH SilencerCo?

ShootnMathews

So my Form 4 just got approved yesterday and I ran out and picked up my Omega 300. I came home and spun it on my 308 and almost ran out to shoot it. Then I thought I'll go ahead and check it with an alignment rod just to be safe. Then I see the Anchor Brake endcap is almost touching the rod. I've been running my Form 1 suppressor on this rifle with no problems so I thought "I wonder how close the baffles are?". I removed the brake and looked at the baffles and they are aligned perfectly. And the brake is machined perfectly. It looks like when they welded in the threaded ring that endcaps screw into that it was welded in crooked. So I just picked it up. Haven't even shot it and I'll probably have to send it off.
IMG_6577.jpeg
IMG_6578.jpeg

Is your barrel factory threaded or did a gun smith do it? Do you have any other rifles to put it on to check with the bore alignment tool? Are your alignment tools .308 in diameter? If it's not touching anything then I would bet they won't do anything about it. If it was me I would tighten and loosen it up a couple times and check with your tool again, if it's not touching still then send one. SilencerCo had good customer support when I've dealt with them on the past.

Anyone who buys or runs cans is wrong if you don't get alignment rods. Alot cheaper than a baffle strike especially depending on manufacturer of can and warranty. Good catch on your part because this would have ended badly or them disputing issue on your end.

Ive been running a silencerCo Omega for 6 or 8 years(?) and its been great. Never checked it with an alignment rod but not had any strikes in a few thousand high powered rifle rounds go through it from 223 to 300win and everything in-between.

I even carbon locked the rear tail cap on and couldn't switch from my 5\8 to 1\2 plate anymore and SilencerCo was amazing in their customer support to take the can, break it loose and send it back quickly. Now I only shoot 5\8x24 to keep it simple

couldn't be happier with the Omega, sorry yours isnt right
Keep us updated
James

I'll address a lot of comments here all at once.

I tried this suppressor on multiple rifles and calibers all with factory threaded barrels and checked with alignment rods.

I screwed the suppressor on and off each rifle multiple times and I removed an attached the anchor brake multiple times. And I tried it with the ASR mount and the direct thread mount.

The alignment rods are hardened drill bit steel with very minimal deflection horizontally but I always check with the rifle pointed vertically which eliminates any deflection. The alignment rods are perfectly fit to the bore so there is zero play. Infact there is a slight resistance sliding them in but not so much resistance to mar the rod or rifling. To be clear the rods are perfectly machined to the rifle bores.

The results are the same across all the rifles. The baffles in the suppressor align perfectly with the bore rods being perfectly centered in the baffles on every rifle. And still no matter how many times I removed and attached the end cap it's still way off center and nearly touching the 30 caliber rod. When you screw the anchor brake on the hole does not wobble compared to the rod so that means it's not a hole drilled off center deal. It means the threaded female end that is welded into the titanium tube is not welded in straight.

And these rods are drill bit steel from McMaster. I used this suppressor building data sheet to get the bore diameters for alignment rods and then ordered those from McMaster and they are spot on. Worth every penny.
IMG_6153.jpeg

Recent Posts