Should we believe anything in the main stream gun mags???

Most of the main gun mags have certain writers that are "on staff" and few if any outside articles are taken regardless of who send them in. Often then the mag editor "tweaks" the article to a certain number of words, normally shortening it and often leaving some things out that you and I would consider important.

I have a good friend that is an outdoor writer and he often gets invited to mftr promo events where they are taken on limited hunts to test new guns and often sent guns to test and hopefully write articles. They can often buy the guns at test end for a reduced price.

Most are better writers than gun experts, but not all.

Interesting field but not for me.

BH

I also enjoyed some of Mr. Simpson's articles in the past &
I have his 7mm, 6.5 & .257 articles stored somewhere in my
storage building. But, it does appear that a big part of the
article that I mentioned was about selling the Vanguard & all writers as you said have to do this little dance. In one month they will tell you that the standard rounds are all you need & the very next month the same writer will be promoting a new magnum rifle to high heaven.

Don't read the magazines any more many seem to be advertisement for specific products, some of the later ones were more informed but still a lot of questionable articles... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

A couple of point to remember. First a dedicated gun magazine writer is trying to write articles that appeal to his or her subscribers and must write in a manner and styles that is in line with the subscribers views. If the writer does not write articles that are what the magazine subscribers want then the magazine will develop a problem with people not buying them. Long range hunting is a very small specialty niche and it would be very hard to sell enough magazines to make a profit. If you are bored and have nothing to do you can go over to 24 hour campfire, greybeard outdoors, etc and see what mainstream hunters talk about.

What are the magazines good for then? Well I will use this example. In late 1994 when my special ordered Ford Mustang finally arrived, I had not modified a car in twenty something years (at least not to the extent this car was going to be modified). Every month I bought every gofastfordmustang magazine on the racks. I poured over the technical articles and evaluated different parts and calculated how many dollars I would spend for how much horsepower. For someone like me, who was just getting started, the magazines were extremely helpful. However, just like in gun magazines you have to read a little between the lines and it helps to already be an expert in order to know what is not being said. Example, after getting a K&N air filter and a 65mm throttle body, I installed a set of headers. If you know anything about ford engines you know that the headers aren't the problem and until you have the intake side opened up you are not exhaust limited. But every magazine article on headers showed what a great horsepower improvement they made, it was just not pointed out that the cars had big valve heads on them. So my car did not go any faster but it sure sounded better. In the end I had big valve aluminum heads and my investment in headers paid off. The magazines helped both me and the car part sales department.

Now on the second car I don't buy very many vette magazines because I do not get much information in return for my investment. This is the point to me. I buy a rifle or archery or car magazine when I want to know something that is in that particular issue. In other words is there value exchanged.

In archery magazines I pretty much don't bother anymore because I don't sit up in tree stands so all these little short stubby bows are useless to me. Also because I have a 36 inch sleeve length, all of the little short stubby bows are useless to me. Also because I tend to finger shoot all the little short stubby bows are useless to me. Everybody else shoots these little short stubby bows and thinks they are great and that is what sells magazines. I get no value from the magazine in return for my dollars spent in purchasing it.

Oddly enough, I often buy a magazine in order to just to look at the advertisements to see who is selling what at what prices.

[ QUOTE ]
JB,

Did you write an article in the recent issue of Precision Shooter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Precision Shooting

Shawn -- yep, tis me. The cover photo belongs with the article too...Pg34...Did you read it?

JB

So, JB, you have now joined the ranks of the shiftless dirty dog, no account gunwriters. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

That one was just too good to resist. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

See you Saturday next.

I did the same thing and have boxes upon boxes of magasines from every interest area over the years.

For the most part, magasines will give you mainstream info and prejudices. They will market products to you that the average person will want. Some info is useful (we agree with it), others not (we don't agree with it). Rarely is anything based on proper testing.

Good general info.

Readers like to feel that they are getting something new and exciting even though they are not. To be blunt, precious little has changed in the shooting world in 100yrs. The parts have gotten better but all variations on the same theme.

If this were clothing, the industry would have died a long time ago.

So we come up with creative ways to say the same thing. Add some colour or whiz bang product to increase the prowess of the user (camo wallets - that's gonna help get me a B&C buck). Throw in some catch phrases like tactical and you create a 'new' industry for consumers to spend money on.

Do the troops really enjoy carrying a 18lbs 308 rifle?

Most hobbiest are not enthusiasts in a technical way. Many on this board go beyond just making a noise and seeing a hole in the paper. We want to know why and experiment to truly improve performance. Wildcatters fall into the same category.

The internet is changing a lot because we now have exposure to not just 6 or 7 scribes but the whole shooting world. We can now tap into the 5% of the bell curve. Some will agree, most will not even have a clue but that's society.

Look at the many on some forums that feel that 308 is the best LR cartridge ever invented. I guess they have never visited a 1000yd BR match and certainly wouldn't be interested in the info on 6mmBR.

magasines are a reflection of popular culture. It controls as much as it is controlled. It can be informative, even useful and every now and then we can learn something new.

But we are die hards so do all the research we can. That knowledge base is large but not boundless. Like they say, many here have been there, done that, even wrote a post.

The cutting edge is exciting but also very limited. Average hunters have hundreds of choices for their walkabout deer gun. Extreme range hunters have basically three choices and we want to narrow that down to a perfect selection.

Many love to watch the space shuttle leave for the stars. We are the sorts that want to build the next rocket.

Oh, if you really want to have a hoot with some interesting writing, read a 'tactical' rifle mag. Specialty Weapons... or a very similar title is a rag I pick up to see all the new military/civi toys. The writers there really don't know much about shooting.

By the way, I can vouch for one writer who does his homework and burns alot of powder. That would be our very own Ian M. Good stuff.

I am a hunter that has a 100yd zero. Even at 200yds, I hit POA. Yes, I tend to pull high...

Jerry

Well said BB, That is my experience /use as well . And as Jerry said I have acquired large stacks of mags over the years on whatever was occupying my attention at the time .

Jim B.

BB -- see ya there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Eaglet - cant link to the article...it is in the magazine...call them and they'll send you a free sample of the March issue if you ask /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JB

I had a customer who did a first rate test on Norma 6PPC brass and Lapua 220 Russian (converted to 6PPC) back in '98. He sent an article to a Precision oriented shooting mag. and it was published. He then found a report, published in the '60's, by some British Co. that warned of the corrosive properties of Molybdenum and Graphite on stainless steel. He called the editor of the mag. and offered to do a test on Moly. The editor declined. He stated that some of his best advertisers were suppliers of moly or, molycoated bullets and he didn't want to offend them.

JB,

Your article was well written. I enjoyed it very much. tThe match you attended is my favorite kind of precision rifle match. The long range hunting advanced field day of my classes is very similar to what you ran for courses of fire at the match. The supporting photography was very good. Anyone looking for a good read about a shooting match with real reporting of mistakes and all should read it. I liked it alot. Good job and congrats on your results.

Shawn -- appreciate the comments /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Took many revisions to get it all straightened out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I was also pretty amazed that i couldnt find anything that had been edited...except where they screwed up and swapped url's on me

asc.rifleman.com in the text is supposed to be www.snipershide.com ...o well

JB

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.