Nobody seems to believe me...

This is an interesting topic for sure. I have had the same reaction from people. The other day I took my father in law coyote hunting and let him shoot my rifle at a target over 500 yds. After he hit the target 2 out of 2 shoots he turned to me and said "Now I know what your talking about. Everything about this rifle feels right. I've never shot anything like this before, i knew i was going to hit the target before i squeezed the trigger "

Nuff said!

We get the same thing all the time around here too. All kinds of tales of how far they shoot then invite them out to one of our practice days or a match and they suddenly seem to have a pocket full of excuses.

Really funny when you do finally get a couple to join us on a practice day and they look out across the lower part of the range and their comment pretty much 100% of the time has been "man that is a long way over there to that 1000 yard target" then we grin and say that is only the 500 yard plates.

Used to get the rolled eyes and snickers when we'd mention we shot 1000 yards and when we'd say we did it with a pistol I'm sure we've been the subject of more than a few laughs after we leave. Is funny how a few YouTube videos and match results silence them.

Just keep doing what you're doing, it may take awhile but the day will come when you'll get to show them what you've learned. I'll also bet that nearly none of them will ask for any help, seen so many that are the local long range expert but most times their distances are about half of what they think they are.

Love topics like this, a few years ago I thought 1000 yard shooting was the land of the Gods but now find that with some decent equipment and practice it's really not that big a deal.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYrrYSivvGg]Rayners Long Range Pistol Shooting 260 rem - YouTube[/ame]

Good luck with your shooting

Topstrap

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts