short action 6.5x284

timmymic

I have a savage 10 action and want to rebarrel it for an elk hunting gun so decided to go with a 6.5x284 barrel. My action currently has a 7mm08 bolt face and I do not want to change that this is part of the reason why i selected this cal. My biggest question is is factory ammo like the 140gr berger hsm ammo going to fit in this short action? Or should i consider using a 6.5 creed or 284 win? Thank guys

The COAL of a Berger 140 VLD is going to run around 3.1". This is generally too long for a standard short action fed from the magazine. They can be single loaded into the chamber. Savage uses their long action with the 6.5x284.

Last edited:
The COAL of a Berger 140 VLD is going to run around 3.1". This is generally too long for a standard short action fed from the magazine. They can be single loaded into the chamber. Savage uses their long action for the 6.5x284.

How much magazine length do you have? I have a Model 100 coming, I can't recall the exact number this second (at the shop or I'd measure for you), but all the 6.5-.284 factory ammo I measured will not fit in the magazine. Some were close though.

If factory ammo is a deal breaker more choices in 260 or 6.5 Creedmoore "listed" than in .284 Winchester. The .284 is down to one load the 150 power point.

In these days of backorder, if you're dependent on factory ammo the .284 would be the weaker choice.

I have a Savage Light weight hunter in the 6.5 x 284, Savage does use a long action for this caliber. There is excessive room in the magazine box. I don't believe your short action will work unless you single load. Hand loading the 140 VLD Berger could require even a longer over all length than the store bought HSM ammo to avoid excessive bullet jump and increased accuracy.
.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.