Short action caliber

Here is my crazy new philosophy when choosing a cartridge. I am pretty much 100% Berger and 100% Hunter. I aim to shoot the heaviest/longest bullet in each caliber (E.g. .25 Cal 133 gr EH, 6.5MM 156 EOL, 7MM 195 EOL, .30 Cal 245 EOL) AND feel like these bullets perform best when they have a MV in that 2900 - 3000 FPS range. As a result, I would pick cartridges such as the 25 Creedmoor, 6.5 PRC, 6.5 SAUM, 7 PRC, 28 Nosler, 300 NM, etc... The the 25 Creed with a 133/135 Berger can be seated at max length and still fit in a short action magazine. I don't own any 6.5s yet, but from my understanding you would need a medium length action to run 156s in PRC or SAUM, and long action obviously needed for the 7 PRC and Nosler and so on. So, in my opinion, if you want to stick to a short action, I wouldn't go higher than a .25 cal...

On the contrary, in my 7mm-08 (even though I love this cartridge), it doesn't fit my requirements above. If I want to shoot a bullet at 2900-3000, the longest/heaviest bullet that gets there is the 140 gr VLD (not the best bullet), if I want to run a 168/175 gr bullet - 1) they don't fit when trying to seat long in a short action, and despite the ballistics being better than the 140 at a slower velocity, it is slower... We bang steel out to 1200 with 140s in the 7-08 and kill deer out to 400ish, but I would still pick the 25 Creed over the 08.

Not sure if this helps?

Last edited:
used to have a .243 and I enjoyed it.
No one seems to have brought it up since the OP, but I love my 243 AI.

1.250" 30" straight shank 7 twist and it's a rocket launcher. Great round, shoots the heaviest bullets available for the caliber, not a Creedmoor (I actually don't dislike them, I just like more esoteric chamberings), easy to load for, tons of brass support, and fits into my general theory of loading.

Which is to say I load everything I shoot anyways, and I shoot all my brass once before doing anything serious load wise, so FOR ME fire forming is not a waste, or much extra effort. I shoot fireforming loads out to 1400 yards on steel and had a great time doing it. Plus I got to do a lot of practice false shoulder fireforming on a smaller case, before I went all out for my 30-338 LIMP.

Even though this particular rifle is a steel ringer, I would trust 243 AI on any whitetail I've ever shot down in Texas.

IMG_1566.jpg

243 AI false shoulder.jpg

For years New Ultra Light Arms chambered more short actions for .284 Winchester than any other. The NULA action had a 3" magazine so it was a great combo. 6.5/284 would be great also.

This is a 24" 1:7.5 twist, Sendero Lite 6mm CM that has been absolutely devastating on deer and hogs with 105gr Hybrids. It has quickly become a favorite deer setup and I find myself using it more each year.

I typically attach an Sico Omega but it is very long. I am going to build another deer, hog, antelope setup with a max barrel length of 20" and am leaning hard towards another 6mm CM, 7mm-08, or 7mm SAW. I like the idea of shooting 150-160gr bullets but the 6mm CM has been nothing but effective.

Attachments

• IMG_3814.jpeg
    IMG_3814.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 56
Two guys up in my neck of the woods shot many WR with the 6 dasher in 1000 bench Penn rules,10 shot groups.Both light and heavy gun

I went through this same decision process a few years ago and was going to go with a 6.5 CM. Decided to do this cartridge since I had a bunch of components and dies. However, the GS that was going to do this build persuaded me to go with 6.5X47 with a heavy Bartlein barrel. And, happy I'd did. That rifle will consistently shoot in the .3s….boringly. Great deer and antelope size cartridge in my opinion.

I'm a big fan of the 6.5x47 Lapua. Great compliment to my 6.5x284's for LR practice, competition, and mid-range hunting.
Yeah I was looking into a 6.5x47 to augment my 260 AI and 7mm RM. Some of the 140 gr loads only need 37-40 gr of powder. Easy to tune, and longer barrel life.

I recently picked up a Seekins precision PH2 in 6 creedmoor. Fantastic rifle and it flat out shoots. Not picky at all with loads so far. I've shot 80 grain Barnes ttsx, 95 Berger VLD and 103 ELD-X. Shoots them all really really well. Mag that comes with rifle is MDT and has plenty of room to seat the heavies right to the lands and still be usable. For the price of one of these compared to a build it is well worth a try in my opinion!! Best of luck

I would like to build a short action caliber just for target and maybe a canyon rifle for coues deer. I'm pretty open to caliber. I was thinking 6 creed, 6.5 creed, or even a 243 or .243 ai. Looking to go heavy barrel sendero or MTU but I'm pretty open. Looking for some input on a good combo barrel twist contour. I used to have a .243 and I enjoyed it. I reload a 6.5 creed for my son all my other rifles are long action. I dont need to get too exotic I just want a good shooter. Thoughts.
You already reload for the 6.5 why not stay with what you have bullets,powder, and casses for.