Short action caliber

I went through this same decision process a few years ago and was going to go with a 6.5 CM. Decided to do this cartridge since I had a bunch of components and dies. However, the GS that was going to do this build persuaded me to go with 6.5X47 with a heavy Bartlein barrel. And, happy I'd did. That rifle will consistently shoot in the .3s….boringly. Great deer and antelope size cartridge in my opinion.
I second this cartridge, it is phenomenally easy to tune and has wide nodes. I actually have a SA REM 700 trued with 30" barrel 8" twist and a REM 700 SA SPS stainless switch barrel in 6.5x47 and 7-08. Both running 8" twists and 26". Absolutely fantastic shooter, I use it on hogs and deer mostly. Took it to NZ in 2018 and used the 129g ABLR on Red deer and dropped it on the spot, just under 400 metre shot.

Cheers.

The 6.5x47 Lapua is a darling child when it comes to Mag constraints in the Rem 700 Short action, plus easy-to-tune accuracy.
When I got my first, there was zero Lapua brass available. I formed brass out of Rem 22/250 brass with 14g of Bullseye and cream of wheat, worked up loads with that Rem brass shooting 1/2" groups at 200 yards in a sporter hunting rifle using 129g Hornady Sp.

I like the 6 mm Dasher for target, and change powder for hunting to get higher velocities from the 2975 to 3020 fps with 108 Berger very accurate target, to zippy 3130 fps with 107 SMK, to 3085 fps for 110 SMK, 3020 fps 115 DTAC. Put a hunting bullet in, & go high velocity. MDT Dasher mags, Alpha brass, Rem 7 1/2 primer.

I would like to build a short action caliber just for target and maybe a canyon rifle for coues deer. I'm pretty open to caliber. I was thinking 6 creed, 6.5 creed, or even a 243 or .243 ai. Looking to go heavy barrel sendero or MTU but I'm pretty open. Looking for some input on a good combo barrel twist contour. I used to have a .243 and I enjoyed it. I reload a 6.5 creed for my son all my other rifles are long action. I dont need to get too exotic I just want a good shooter. Thoughts.
I am not sure if you already have the action, but it depends on your action's bolt face. Below is an extract from an old thread courtesy of Jerry (we miss you, Brother) that does not includes some of the newer cartridges or wildcats.

Short actions with a bolt face (Dia of .470 +/-)
225 Winchester, 22/250 Remington, 6mm Norma BR, 243 Win, 6mm Creedmoor, 250 Savage, 260 Rem, 6.5/284 Norma, 6.5 Creedmoor 7/08 Rem, 284 win, 300 Savage, 308 Win, 338 Federal, 35 Rem, and the 358 Winchester.

Short actions with a bolt face (Dia of .532 +/-)
223 WSSM, 243 WSSM, 25 WSSM, 6.5 x 300 Weatherby, 6.5 PRC, 7mm Rem saum, 7mm WSM, 300 Rem saum, 300 WSM, 325 WSM, 350 Legend and the 350 Rem Mag.

SOURCE:

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/bolt-face-diameters.36661/

Last edited:
depends how into wildcats you are. I don't have that kind of time so I look at availability of brass too. So my pick would be 6 Creedmoor and the good old .243 or a 6.5 PRC if you want a magnum. No idea why someone would suggest a 6.5x300 WSM when brass availability sucks and the PRC is standardized.

I'd say the 6 or 6.5 Creedmoor is the easy option. Plentiful components and fairly easy to get, even in .22 and .25 if that's the route you ultimately decide. If you don't want to use a DBM and go the more traditional internal box magazine for hunting, you'll run into fewer issues trying to make it feed.

Anything off the .308 case would also be fairly easy to work with as well. You'll have to do more case prep if you chose to AI or build a .22 or .25 caliber. You'll also have to be more aware of magazine space and bullet choices, so that your bullet seating depth doesn't eat into your powder column.

I don't think anyone has listed a bad choice of cartridges for what you want to do. All I'll say is they are more unique, and not made for the mass public. While I like uniqueness at times, in a rifle I'll use hunting I like a cartridge a little more mass produced.

Last edited:
If your not going to shoot deer to far away, my vote is a 6 Dasher. Extremely accurate and very low recoil. Just look at how the Dasher performs in F class out to 1000 yds. It really excels at mid range 600 yds. Keep in mind that the F open guns have 30"+ long barrels. But my 22" Dasher isn't bad as it runs 105 Berger's over 2900 FPS.

My philosophy on building 'multi-purpose rifles' has changed in recent years. Not only does building very purpose-built rifles give me an excuse to build more rifles, but it has proven to make the most sense. That said, in the cases where I am on the fence about which way to trend a build (target or hunting), I favor what works best for target, and usually only have to give weight as compromise on the hunting side. After all, you can shoot at steel and paper all year, and tune your skills. If you are very fortunate, you might get to pull the trigger on animals 3 or 4 times per year. It sounds like you are trending that way as well. So, I think that 6mm 'something' is the way to go. Since there are very effective 6mm bullets, that can be sent at very high velocities out of the BR and BR Variant cartridges, and because they do so well, with minimal recoil for target shooting, I would be looking that way. My personal favorite is a 6mm GT. You can sling 115 class bullets at 2900+ for target shooting, or send a 70 grain Hammer Hunter at 3500 FPS.

6 Dasher and 6 BRA are some of the easiest cartridges I've ever worked with. Huge tune windows and both are capable of shooting 105gr bullets 2975fps out of a 26" barrel, and good for 2000+ rounds out of a barrel with PRS style shooting (lots of 10 round strings).

The 6GT is another good option, but I don't hate any of the Creedmoor variants either.

I went through this same decision process a few years ago and was going to go with a 6.5 CM. Decided to do this cartridge since I had a bunch of components and dies. However, the GS that was going to do this build persuaded me to go with 6.5X47 with a heavy Bartlein barrel. And, happy I'd did. That rifle will consistently shoot in the .3s….boringly. Great deer and antelope size cartridge in my opinion.
Couldn't agree more. Brass life is rediculous and S.D of 2-3 are the norm. Good barrel life too.

Last edited:
I would like to build a short action caliber just for target and maybe a canyon rifle for coues deer. I'm pretty open to caliber. I was thinking 6 creed, 6.5 creed, or even a 243 or .243 ai. Looking to go heavy barrel sendero or MTU but I'm pretty open. Looking for some input on a good combo barrel twist contour. I used to have a .243 and I enjoyed it. I reload a 6.5 creed for my son all my other rifles are long action. I dont need to get too exotic I just want a good shooter. Thoughts.
6XC, Peterson makes brass. pretty turn key with a 112-115 gr bullet and 39.5 grs of H4350. just slightly smaller case then a 243/6cm. 6 cm would be my 2nd suggestion.

Last edited:
What ever it is use a 150gr as you have availability in 26, 27, 28 and 30cals. Choose your bc and have fun. BTW, I gave all 4 in a 308 cased cartridges.

A 6 Creedmoor with a 7 Twist. Excellent brass options and great factory ammo support also. The 7 twist will allow you to shoot the heavier projectiles also. I run the 115 Berger in mine. I built mine using a Krieger 7 twist after speaking to Berger Tech and a Krieger tech line also. Mine is super accurate. 20" barrel and I get 3045 FPS shooting the 115 Berger. I built this rifle specifically for Coues and Speedgoats.

69239721850__B685FFE3-6982-4CAA-AA11-19A11B1CFA97.jpeg

Last edited: