Short action caliber

ofdscooby

I would like to build a short action caliber just for target and maybe a canyon rifle for coues deer. I'm pretty open to caliber. I was thinking 6 creed, 6.5 creed, or even a 243 or .243 ai. Looking to go heavy barrel sendero or MTU but I'm pretty open. Looking for some input on a good combo barrel twist contour. I used to have a .243 and I enjoyed it. I reload a 6.5 creed for my son all my other rifles are long action. I dont need to get too exotic I just want a good shooter. Thoughts.

I went through this same decision process a few years ago and was going to go with a 6.5 CM. Decided to do this cartridge since I had a bunch of components and dies. However, the GS that was going to do this build persuaded me to go with 6.5X47 with a heavy Bartlein barrel. And, happy I'd did. That rifle will consistently shoot in the .3s….boringly. Great deer and antelope size cartridge in my opinion.

how far do you plan on shooting coues deer?

For a heavy target rifle I'd highly recommend going 6br or 6bra. The incredible accuracy, ease of tuning of these calibers make it a winner. 105's at 2830-2880fps.

For hunting it will work great too but if shots are slightly longer then I'd be going with a 25x47, 25 creed to do both target and hunting and 25 saum or prc for the more hunting side

I started hunting with a 243 and planned to go back and build a 243 but somehow ended up with 6cm and love it. Then built a 7mm big brother to it a 7 blaser improved.

Great question at my home range I have steel out to 900 yard as far as hunting I guess as far as I feel I can accurately accomplish the shot.
Well then the 25's might be better.

I love the br's as I have a 22bra, 6br and 6bra and love them but when you're talking that distance with possibilities of hunting then the 25's all day. My 25 creed hammers deer! Great mid game caliber. I think a 25 Saum or prc though for the added performance would make almost the perfect deer rifle

6 Dasher, 6.5x47, 260AI all have soft recoil and flat hammer game. I'm not a big 6.5 fan to be honest, but when it comes to plinking, and effectively taking game at under 500 they are extremely accurate and fun to shoot. Great brass and bullet options, easy on powder. Good luck

For smaller, thin-skinned game, using today's bullets, the .22 Creed is a really good option. 77-88 grain bullets in a fast twist .22 caliber are flat-out killers.
The 6CM is also a very good option.
If you want to go heavier, then my personal favorite is 7-08AI. I built one on a Tikka action with a Bartlein barrel. 20", Rem Varmint profile, and threaded for a suppressor. I am getting 2800 fps with a 162 grain ELD-X and Varget, and up to 2875 with a 150 grain Nosler ABLR with both Staball 6.5 and H4350.

Ok for a 6mm what seems to be the go to 105's 115's does there seem to be a more accurate performer regardless of target. What are the twist rates. Same for 25's and even 6.5's. My only experience currently with short actions like I said is my sons 6.5 creed and we shoot 143 ELDX's and they are super accurate. He dropped a cow elk last fall at 580 with one shot.

Also with a small caliber do I need a break I wouldn't think so but what say you. Heavy barrel and light round shouldn't be much recoil.

I'm running 105 hybrids, 108 elite hunter in 2 different 7.5 twists 4gr and a 5r, and the 131 black jacks or 135 bergers in a 7 twist 5r.

I run tuner brakes or brakes on almost all my rifles. It's not necessarily for the fact recoil is bothersome but more to help spot impacts or missed on targets/hunting and helps with follow ups. Get a thread protector if you aren't using a brake