What's the most versatile short action standard caliber

Timnterra

I'm building another custom rifle and all I need to buy is the barrel and reamer/ gauges. I have a short action Remington 700 with .308 bolt face and a grey bull stock. If you were going to build a short action rifle what caliber would you choose? I'm leaning toward the .260rem I don't own any 6.5 cartridges but I'm also tempted by the 6mm rem or .243ai. I don't want to build a .308 they are a dime a dozen. But I also don't want to be stuck with a caliber that I can't find components for. I will probably be using this rifle for coyotes, varmints, deer and steel shooting in wide open South Dakota. What do you guys think what rifle would you want?

The most versatile is a 3-way tie, IMO. There is no right or wrong amongst these 3 calibers. Although, I own 2 of the 3, I want to build a rifle in the other one someday, just because I think it would be fun.

The three calibers are (in no particular order):

.308 Win
7mm-08 Rem
.260 Rem or .260 Rem Ack Imp.

What Mud said.

Of course the 308 has the most loads and components.

I have a 260 and 243 but for a short action 30 cal went 300WSM. My 308 is a Garand.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts