What short action std. Bolt face caliber is most versatile?

Timnterra,

You whittled it down to a couple of 6.5s. Here is an excellent article comparing the 6.5 Creedmore, 260 Rem and 6.5 x 47 Lapua :

https://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootout-260-6.5x47-6.5-creedmoor/

One comment in the article is an important consideration:

"Anyone with a rifle in any one of these three calibers would be silly to ditch a working system to switch to another of them-- they are that similar. Make your choice based on component availability and price."

Funny I've read and re-read that article several times in the last 6months trying to make up my mind. I decided to go with the Creedmor because I found a set of bushing dies and the Hornady match 140amax ammo is average $10 cheaper per box than the 260rem core-lock junk at my local cabelas

I've been hearing about the revival of the 284 winchester... Excellent velocity... Accuracy, and distance capability. Never had my hands on one, but it peaks my curiosity. Might be worth your time to investigate. My preference is with the 7mms. Excellent high bc bullets available... Very accurate. If not a 284 winchester... a 7-08 would be an excellent choice. It's all so personal. Best wishes choosing. That's the hard part... The fun part begins once you have.

Lastly... With the shortage of ammo and reloading supplies, I think it would be wise to stay away from any caliber you are going to have to hunt down components for. The 250ai savage sounds interesting... But I've got a 7mm Ihmsa which is formed with 300 savage. Hard to find = pain in the rear.

Be a man. Dump it and build a .450/577. BP.

Oh, also I'm just fine with .308 or .243 myself. Just vanilla. Both great rounds.

I load the 140 Amax in my .260. Anyone running core lokts for target or steel is throwing their money away. I would not even use them for hunting. I have killed some nice deer with the Amax out of my .260.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.