6.5x284 action?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by sniperboy, Jan 8, 2010.

1. sniperboy

sniperboy Well-Known Member

Gday

Decided to get build a 6.5x284 and am now looking for a remington donor gun for my project, but not quit sure what action i require, a short or long action and would i require a particullar caliber to build a 6.5x284?
    Would also like to know for such caliber what barrel lenght do people recommend?

Thanks
    sniperboy

2. Aldon

Aldon Well-Known Member

Go to the gunsmithing forums and there is a syicky thread that has a list that references bolt faces. That will give you the calibers your can utilize for bolt face.

Action,,,,,,,most will suggest a long action so you can seat the bullets out there a ways and get the most potential and still allow you to use the rifle as a repeater....

Not sure about optimum barrel lenth. But twist is dependent on bullet grain etc... Most on here seem to go with an 8 or 8.5 or so.

I am no expert but I had looked at doing this as well, and this is what I found to be the case using search function and posting similar questions myself.

3. sxwatson

sxwatson Well-Known Member

I used a Rem 700 Long action w/ 26" Krieger barrel 8.5 twist.

4. sniperboy

sniperboy Well-Known Member

Thanks Aldon that syicky thread answered my question, I require a bolt face of .470 diameter in the long action, and a 30/06 action will do.
    As to barrel length i think i ll be heading towards a 28 inch plus with a rate of twist of 8.5 as sxwatson suggested.

Thanks
    sniperboy