6.5x284 action?

sniperboy

Gday

Decided to get build a 6.5x284 and am now looking for a remington donor gun for my project, but not quit sure what action i require, a short or long action and would i require a particullar caliber to build a 6.5x284?
Would also like to know for such caliber what barrel lenght do people recommend?

Thanks
sniperboy

Go to the gunsmithing forums and there is a syicky thread that has a list that references bolt faces. That will give you the calibers your can utilize for bolt face.

Action,,,,,,,most will suggest a long action so you can seat the bullets out there a ways and get the most potential and still allow you to use the rifle as a repeater....

Not sure about optimum barrel lenth. But twist is dependent on bullet grain etc... Most on here seem to go with an 8 or 8.5 or so.

I am no expert but I had looked at doing this as well, and this is what I found to be the case using search function and posting similar questions myself.

Thanks Aldon that syicky thread answered my question, I require a bolt face of .470 diameter in the long action, and a 30/06 action will do.
As to barrel length i think i ll be heading towards a 28 inch plus with a rate of twist of 8.5 as sxwatson suggested.

Thanks
sniperboy

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.