Savage short action

Jrayecu

I have a Savage short action, a really good stock, and a rifle basix trigger. I am looking for a nice long range hunt round to chamber the rifle in . I am going to use this rifle for whitetail and some target shooting . I reload but am a begginner and would like it to be easy to reload for . I am not looking to shoot past 600 yards but would like it to be very accurate out to 600.
Also what brand, length, and twist for the barrel .

Easy to load for and deadly accurate to 600yards.

3 cartridges come to mind right away:
1. 6mmBR- 105 Berger or amax with around 30gr of varget.
2. 6.5x47 Lapua- 130 berger or JLK with 40.5-42gr of H4350
3. .308 winchester- 178gr amax or 180gr ballistic tip with 42-44.5gr of varget

I would also recommend a prefit barrel, such as a shilen or criterion. Both have proven themselves very accurate.

Optics: either a 6-24x50mm SIII series sightron or 5.5-22x56mm nightforce NXS if you want to spend the money.

Any combination here will meet or exceed your expectations!
Sounds like a great build.

Thanks I already have the 308 dies so I guess I will try that with a shilen barrel . I have 2 optics options that I already have a 8-32 nightforce on my 338 edge and a vortex pst on my cheytac . I think I will go with the pst

+1 for the .308. Shot a white tail at 513 last Saturday using a 168 AMAX, no problems.

I don't think you can really go wrong with the .308, it would have been my pick as well.

They are usually accurate over a range of bullet weights, and usually not overly picky about which brand they are digesting. Plenty of powders to work with, brass in both new and once fired is usually plentiful and easily acquired, and last seemingly forever. Recoil is, well to me a none issue except for my little Ruger Compact which fully loaded and ready to hunt only weighs 6.5#. In the field I never notice it, but off a bench, it starts to work on you after about 10 rounds.

Wile I don't have any special LR loads worked up for mine, I have reached out to 400+ yards with it and factory Rem CL's, and made several DRT shots on feral hogs, which for the 16.5" barreled rifle and factory ammo is pretty decent.

Good luck with you build, I am sure you won't be disappointed.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.