SHERMAN WILDCAT SUGGESTIONS

.....That's why I think you are looking 100 or less if it has much b.c. attached. I think when we start looking at 6 twist barrels, we are starting to go too far! Just my opinion......I could see maybe using a progressive twist with a mono. Maybe Steve could chime in with an opinion?...

More than just your opinion, there's plenty out there to support that position, and I'm certainly not in a position to argue it-YET!
I have the 1-6" 6.5 project getting closer by the day, I'm aware of a 12-6" on order, I think it's .277.
Every once in awhile it pays to rethink, or verify old thoughts. Just for fun!

Yeah, but didn't Matrix go out of business, or something like that?

I hope not completely, their bullets were heavy for caliber and had high bc's. From reports they also seemed to do well on game. I still can't understand why no one has had a successful venture producing uld at rbbt bullets in all calibers. The tooling is already there, they produce high bc's and report to do well on game, don't require the ultra fast twist rates of monos and I wouldn't think they cost an unreasonable amount to produce. The failures of past company's producing these bullet designs have been business management related and not related to actual product from what I can tell. But maybe I'm missing something.

The reason why is simple... Prices.

Small-batch custom bullet operations have to charge more for their products to make it worth the overhead of buying all the tooling, and making their money back, on top of paying all their overhead and personal salary, compared to a huge operation like Hornady, Federal, Rem, or Berger that can change things up on whim, and their only gamble is whether or not to build a brand new 6.5mm or .30 cal bullet for next year. This being said, people can buy a nearly identical (or close-enough) version for half the price ($0.50 vs. $1.00+ each). Which would YOU buy if you're trying to make your dollars go farther and have more trigger time?

Small-batch custom bullet operations have to charge more for their products to make it worth the overhead of buying all the tooling, and making their money back, on top of paying all their overhead and personal salary, compared to a huge operation like Hornady, Federal, Rem, or Berger that can change things up on whim, and their only gamble is whether or not to build a brand new 6.5mm or .30 cal bullet for next year. This being said, people can buy a nearly identical (or close-enough) version for half the price ($0.50 vs. $1.00+ each). Which would YOU buy if you're trying to make your dollars go farther and have more trigger time?

And this is one reason I'm not too excited about making bullets, although there may be a temporary niche!

Ya, except I'm supposed to be retired! :eek:

I can definitely relate to that. As I am already vested on my second retirement, I still question myself on my pursuit and journey of higher learning, instead of just enjoying life as a whole with my wife and family. If you enjoy it, it is not considered work. But if stress is a factor, esp. when inflicted by external environment then it is no fun. My challenge is self-inflicted stress and so far I am managing it well. :D

Cheers!

I understand that from a business standpoint. To me it's worth the extra cost. I forget sometimes how much of a niche market this is from a manufacturers point of view.

And this is one reason I'm not too excited about making bullets, although there may be a temporary niche!
Oh, I completely understand. I just figured if you were enjoying it, then it might be fun to branch out a bit, and help reestablish an intentionally-failed market to prove they were wrong all those years ago.

Oh, I completely understand. I just figured if you were enjoying it, then it might be fun to branch out a bit, and help reestablish an intentionally-failed market to prove they were wrong all those years ago.
I'm just getting too many irons in the fire right now to take on bullets, even though I could probably make .257's with near .7 b.c. that would sell for $1.50

I understand that from a business standpoint. To me it's worth the extra cost. I forget sometimes how much of a niche market this is from a manufacturers point of view.
Yep, I grew up in a small business family, and have bear-witness to all the struggles first-hand.

I agree that in most normal circumstances the extra cost is worth it, but from a financially-strapped and money-conscious perspective for the last 10+ years, I will always try to get my money's worth and be a bit financially cautious of things like that. I try to make my dollar go as far as possible...Especially with hobbies. Necessities are different.

I'm just getting too many irons in the fire right now to take on bullets, even though I could probably make .257's with near .7 b.c. that would sell for $1.50
If you could do that, and sell the matching twisted barrels... That might be a lucrative opportunity. Not only offering something useful, but offering what makes it useful that nobody else offers. That's the key, finding that niche that does not currently exist.

Especially if word gets around in the BR and precision shooting realms. A fast 1/4-bore pushing a .7 BC projectile would be hell on the 1K range. The 6.5's wouldn't even be able to touch it, until you get 155+ grain bullets over the 3K mark.

If you could do that, and sell the matching twisted barrels... That might be a lucrative opportunity. Especially if word gets around in the BR and precision shooting realms. A fast 1/4-bore pushing a .7 BC projectile would be hell on the 1K range. Not only offering something useful, but offering what makes it useful that nobody else offers. That's the key, finding that niche that does not currently exist.
And as soon as Berger or ?? Saw they were selling, they would make one just as good for 1/3 what I would charge:D
I pretty much stopped making my 30's because the ELDM is very similar and I can buy them cheaper than I can make them!

And as soon as Berger or ?? Saw they were selling, they would make one just as good for 1/3 what I would charge:D
I pretty much stopped making my 30's because the ELDM is very similar and I can buy them cheaper than I can make them!
This is true, and about a 100% chance of happening (sadly), but you would be the godfather of reinspiring the market to build something they should have been building all along. Also, once they start making them you start buying and selling theirs on your site, as well. Make back all of that previously lost overhead in the custom dies, etc... ;)

.....A fast 1/4-bore pushing a .7 BC projectile would be hell on the 1K range. The 6.5's wouldn't even be able to touch it, until you get 155+ grain bullets over the 3K mark........

To a point!
I saw my first 6mm Creedmore, a few years back, observed it's abilities on casual steel, and heard the same arguments.

Today many of those claims are panning out, the .257's are being "matched" by existing projectiles on both sides of it.

I hang on to caliber because I'm hunting oriented, I'm willing to reduce caliber because I realize I'm not hunting that much, and physically, as satisfying as smacking chucks with .338's is, I see the merit in dialing it back a bit.

Especially coupled with the fact Sherman shooters have to load moderately to be allowed to play some games.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.