SHERMAN WILDCAT SUGGESTIONS

I was going to suggest a fast .22 that can push very heavy for caliber bullets to 33-3500 FPS, maybe a .308 with the body taper removed and a 40 degree shoulder, but it looks like I'm too late.

I really think if you want to stick with the 308 bolt face, the 284 could be Shermanized, as you say, and that would be the most gain without going to the SS in a short action. There is likely something out there already, but may not be available to everyone?

That would follow the Sherman theme of getting the most out of the respective sized bolt face and case, and still fitting in it's intended length action. Apply the same changes you do to a saum case, but do it to a 284 case.

What to name it? The XX cal Sherman Short Standard.....SSS

Last edited:
That would follow the Sherman theme of getting the most out of the respective sized bolt face and case, and still fitting in it's intended length action. Apply the same changes you do to a saum case, but do it to a 284 case.

What to name it? The XX cal Sherman Short Standard.....SSS
Funny you should mention it, Rich and I were discussing something similar the other day... :D

You guys bring a valid point. There's a huge following for the 6.5-284 but, at the same time, a lot of people whining about bbl life when used under high rate of fire, competition scenarios. Something like that blown out to minimum taper with a shortened body and longer neck may fill a niche for quite a few. Similar performance with potential for a longer lifespan. I think most fire it out of a long action so it would still give up a fair bit to the original sherman speed wise but could still be a really nice case. Personally I was torn between a 6.5-284 and 6.5-06ai when I stumbled on the Shermans and did a fast twist 270 in that flavor instead. There are a lot of donor actions out there for that kind of case in my opinion. I like the .25 idea too but my 25-06 is now a 270 Sherman so I guess I'm not a quarter bore die hard.

Most of you g,uys know what is already available in the Sherman line, so I was wondering what your thoughts were on a future option? Is there anything that might improve the options already available? There are no DUMB thoughts here but I would especially like to hear if there is a consensus on anything. Thanks guys for your opinions and support......rich
. What is available for a Sherman .338 Lapua Case? Or a 6.5 IHMSA from .35 Rem? & 224-35 Rem?

How about a Sherman on the 6.5x68 rws??? I have been wanting to wildcat that round for years. Great brass and it should be a hotrod!

I agree that it would be a good one and we are using it to form my 30/375 S.I. because the brass is a lot better.
The only problem I see with it is the odd head size which would require a different bolt face than anything offered in the U S. I think it would really hurt marketing it......rich

Rich,
In reading on the Internet and in our phone conversations, I am left with the idea you have created a significant family of wiilcats, based on your experience and the past history of development in this field. These developments, plus advances in a wide range of powders, brass and bulllets lead me to believe that your practical designs have reached the limits which are imposed upon us by applied physics. Past developments, such as the Gradle wildcats prove that only those with serious time on their hands can doa lot of things to convert a perfectly useful case into something it was never meant to be, and of little practical value, in the end. Even the firearms industry, realizing that short, straight bodied cases with sharp shoulders had proven advantages went overboard with their short, short magnum cartridges. The 22BR, using newer powders, can duplicate the larger 22-250's performance with less powder used per shot. Try getting these short cases to feed reliably out of a magazine!
You have designed excellently and your cartridges, while not widely known outside of the community who reads this website, does not mean that your work is not appreciated. I look forward to using my 6.5 Sherman for the first time this fall. To me that cartridge, in terms of ballistics, and magazine capacity, is really the best compromise for long range hunting opportunity. Anything with superior ballistics to this cartridge comes at near monumental increases in powder capacity.
You have done excellently, congratulations!
Gene S.

Rich,
In reading on the Internet and in our phone conversations, I am left with the idea you have created a significant family of wiilcats, based on your experience and the past history of development in this field. These developments, plus advances in a wide range of powders, brass and bulllets lead me to believe that your practical designs have reached the limits which are imposed upon us by applied physics. Past developments, such as the Gradle wildcats prove that only those with serious time on their hands can doa lot of things to convert a perfectly useful case into something it was never meant to be, and of little practical value, in the end. Even the firearms industry, realizing that short, straight bodied cases with sharp shoulders had proven advantages went overboard with their short, short magnum cartridges. The 22BR, using newer powders, can duplicate the larger 22-250's performance with less powder used per shot. Try getting these short cases to feed reliably out of a magazine!
You have designed excellently and your cartridges, while not widely known outside of the community who reads this website, does not mean that your work is not appreciated. I look forward to using my 6.5 Sherman for the first time this fall. To me that cartridge, in terms of ballistics, and magazine capacity, is really the best compromise for long range hunting opportunity. Anything with superior ballistics to this cartridge comes at near monumental increases in powder capacity.
You have done excellently, congratulations!
Gene S.
Well thank you Gene! Coming from you, that means a lot! I am glad that you are enjoying your build.......rich

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.