Sherman Wildcat Reloading Data is Here!!!

This is my 7 SS with N-565 and Berger 175 gr out of a 20 inch barrel. Pretty similar burn rate.

Attachments

• IMG_3167.jpeg
    IMG_3167.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_3168.jpeg
    IMG_3168.jpeg
    54.3 KB · Views: 121
I like StaBall6.5 62 gr average of 3107 fps SD 5.5, COAL 2.902, 1:7 22" barrel using our 160 gr 284BD2 Badlands Precision bullet. Has a G7BC of 0.351 from my rifle
Please note that the BC of the 160 gr bullet meets or exceeds other 175 gr lead core bullets (Berger & Hornady), but being 15 gr lighter one can achieve higher MVs and thus greater effective ranges. It also penetrates much better over a wider range of impact velocities enabling the use of quartering shots that are not advisable with lead core bullets.

Last edited:
Please note that the BC of the 160 gr bullet meets or exceeds other 175 gr lead core bullets (Berger & Hornady), but being 15 gr lighter one can achieve higher MVs and thus greater effective ranges. It also penetrates much better over a wider range of impact velocities enabling the use of quartering shots that are not advisable with lead core bullets.
Doug Crowe, a customer, sent me an email detailing the recent hunt he had in Tajikistan for Marco Polo Sheep and Ibex. He used a 6.5 Sherman Short in a rifle made by Paradigm using their carbon wrapped barrel, their carbon stock he got from Matt Kranz, and a Badlands 125 gr .264 BD2 bullet. Prior to his hunt he practiced extensively 1000 yd shots as he knew he would very likely have at least 700 yd shots.

The pics show his trophies. The longest shot was on the Marco Polo Sheep. Temp was 0 degrees F, altitude 15,500 ft, and shot uphill 30 degrees into the sun. His first shot was 1100 yds and he thought he missed, but his second shot was 1260 yds which dropped the Sheep in its tracts. Turns out placement of his first shot was not immediately lethal, but the second shat was DRT.
The Ibex was a single DRT shot at 750 yds under similar conditions but up hill 35 degrees.

His guide said that in 42 years of guiding he had never seen a shot on sheep that long. The combination of high BC, reliable low velocity expansion and deep penetration worked perfectly for such a small bullet. His whole hunt points up the fact that the terminal performance of the bullet makes or breaks the hunt. All bullets had complete penetration in an expanded state as judged by the wound channels. The Sheep was a huge trophy having a 59" curl and weighing 450 lbs

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    191.7 KB · Views: 97
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    261.6 KB · Views: 94
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    302.1 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
I have seen the data on the Sherman Wildcat website.

Looking for a good starting load for my first experience with 7 SS.

Berger 184 hybrids. I have jugs of RL-26 and N565 (I was thinking of cracking open the N565). CCI BR-2 primers. Virgin brass from the website.

54 gr? 55 gr? 57....?

Thanks in advance

Very first dummy round loaded next to my 6 GT
PXL_20231229_061013742.jpg

I have seen the data on the Sherman Wildcat website.

Looking for a good starting load for my first experience with 7 SS.

Berger 184 hybrids. I have jugs of RL-26 and N565 (I was thinking of cracking open the N565). CCI BR-2 primers. Virgin brass from the website.

54 gr? 55 gr? 57....?

Thanks in advance

Very first dummy round loaded next to my 6 GT
View attachment 526595
I started with Bergers 175s and RL26 at 58 gr, same for N565. Didn't hit pressure until around 63 gr. As usual, proceed with caution.

Hello Gentlemen. My name is Mike. I am from Virginia and I am new to the forum. I have been talking with Rich about a 7 SS build. It will primarily be used for Whitetail deer and long range recreational shooting. I have a 23 inch Bartlein Carbon 1/8.5 that will finish at 22". A Curtis Customs Axiom action, Hawkins DBM bottom metal, Trigger Tech trigger. And it's going in a AG Composites stock. I am looking for some load data for 145-168gn bullets. Any info or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Recent Posts