270WSM 169.5 wildcat data

270WSM

Does anyone have any reloading data for the 270WSM and 169.5grn wildcat bullets. I got a sample from Richard Graves last year, and haven't had much time to do any testing. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for powder since I only have 20 bullets. It would be nice if they were accurate, slow or not. Fifty said they had to be pushed pretty fast, so who knows; maybe it's not possible with this cartridge.
Thanks for any help,

In the 7 wsm I think the only really suitable powder was retumbo with the 180 bergers. I shot 70.0 of retu,bo with the 180 grain berger for a velcioty around 3000 fps. I think it will work excelllent in the 270 wsm with 169. I have found that Rl 25 is too inconsistant to use at max pressures with heavy loads. Retumbo gives almost 100 percent density in the wsm case. I would start at 65.0 gr of retumbo in your 270 wsm and work up. It should be a real preformer. Retumbo is the only way to go. Take my word don't use any BMG powder in the wsm case, it won't burn completely and will destroy your bore in 300 to 400 rounds. Good shooting and good luck

270WSM,

I have not tested the 270 WSM with this bullet but Hodgdon lists the 270 WSM in their reloading data.

They list the following starting loads for the 160 gr Partition:

Retumbo....65.0 gr...2826 fps
H1000......63.0 gr...2802 fps
H4831......57.0 gr...2784 fps
H4350......52.0 gr...2735 fps
H414.......52.0 gr...2718 fps

THey also list for the 180 gr Barnes round nose

Retumbo....62.0 gr...2631 fps
H1000......59.0 gr...2590 fps
H4831......53.0 gr...2561 fps

Since the 169.5 gr ULD RBBT is baically dead center between these two split the differnece of these starting loads and you should be in great shape.

I would personally start at 61.0 gr of H1000 if it were my rifle.

I may have been misunderstood about my comment about they shoot better the faster they are driven. Velocity does not have much to do with how they shoot. It is more a matter of pressure applied to the base of the bullet.

It seems that the higher the load the better they shoot. Both Richard and myself believe this is because it bumps up the base of the bullet for a better seal in the bore.

So velocity really does not have much to do with it. They just seem to shoot better with top end loads in any round used.

I suspect they will perform very well in the WSM. it has plenty of power to use this bullet weight effectively. Good luck.

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks for the info guys! Happy shooting; I'll post my results when I get around to testing.

Please do! I am looking at getting a M70 Coyote this spring in 270 WSM and that is the bullet I'm most likely going to try.

You can also try the starting load for a 7mm WSM in the same weight. They are close enough where the starting loades shouldn't be too different.

later,
James

I also got a pack of wildcat 169.5's to test. I have a 270 AI throated .300 with a 29 inch barrel. It's a single shot machine.

I'm behind the curve getting a 30-378 ready for the elk hunt.

your case is a little more by 4-5 grains over a AI I've shot for years with 150 spbt moly bullets

Out of everything h4831sc r-22 imr7828 H1000 R-25 It all comes back to our case size isn't big enough to use anything slower than IMR7828. I use a tall drop tube totally compressed load to get 62 gr behind a 140 bt or 61.2 behind a 150 bt. I use mag primers cci250

I have a 270wsm Coyote, but am wondering how the 169.5's will do with the 1 in 10 factory twist.
What weight/length bullet would be recomended?
I had to cut testing time short to practice with what I have before the Coues hunt next week. Cant wait!!
Any help for an newby in the sport would be appreciated.

Budlight,

I was in Sportsmans Who...Warehouse the other day and spied some 7878 SSC. First time I heard of Super Short Cut? Wonder how that would work with the AI & 169s? They stabalized in my win. that is all holes were round at 200 yds. They grouped consistently but large.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.