SHERMAN WILDCAT SUGGESTIONS

If I had any money I would... But I don't. The only part of it I could do is free stuff, or testing using things I already own like powder, primers, brass, etc..., or if the companies want to donate to the cause.

Which of the Sherman cases would you see as most useful for a .25, what twist barrel would you start with? Which action?

Which of the Sherman cases would you see as most useful for a .25, what twist barrel would you start with? Which action?
Rem 700 (of course), because it has one of the longest internal magazines. But despite the short magazine lengths, I am a big fan of the Browning A-Bolt II actions with their smooth 3-lug bolts and 60º bolt-throw. For customs, I would go with a Curtis Axiom or Defiance Deviant.

Barrel, 26" 1:7 or 1:8 twist (whatever the bullet requirs for sea-level stabilization) in a heavy contour, if steel Rem Varmint/Sendero, if CF I would go PR Sendero.

Case, that would depend on which weights. IF (big if) Berger would make a 135-140 grain .257 Elite Hunter, the 6.5 Sherman and 6.5 SS cases necked down to .257 would be ideal.

I had to look hard to find it, Berger makes only a single .257, a 115 VLD for a 1-9" twist. I knew pickin's was slim in .25's, but that looks more dead in the water.

Needing a 1-9" 1 wonder how many sell. I just looked even the Weatherby was listed 1-10". Is there any factory.25's with a faster twist?

A 1-7" twist with the 128 Hammer seems like what would be available to the custom crowd.

No, no factory rifles I'm aware of with faster than a 1:10". That's been industry standard since the beginning. The 115 Berger is the only bullet they offer...Pretty pathetic if you ask me. Now you see why us 1/4-bore guys are always bitching about our lack of bullet options... .22, 243, 264, 277, 284, 308, 338...All have high-BC long range offerings from every brand. See anything missing? The .257 and .323 (8mm) markets were the sacrificial lambs left behind on purpose by the industry. And it's obvious...And dumb. They want to push the 6mm, 6.5mm, and .338 markets for competition shooters, but there's NO .257 comp shooters because nobody offers any LR and comp-worthy .257 bullets. It's plain and simple. You can't shoot what they don't make. Make it, and it will become a big thing again. Like Field of Dreams... "If you build it...They will come."

If companies would get behind it, cartridges like the .25-06 AI and a .257 Sherman would be serious LR shooting competitors, and LR hunting machines. I think the market is too vested in this 6.5mm craze, and is scared to produce it, because the outcome would overshadow the 6.5's until they get up into the 155-160 grain range, then the 6.5mm will beat it.

The companies haven't made a change since like 1969, way before we got crazy about 6.5's.
The .277's got better because of demand from the streets. Custom bullets, custom barrels etc. Small time.
It only took the big's about 50 years to legitimize the .25-06, in the second 50 nothing. One of many reasons they file bankruptcy.
Any way time to give Rich his thread back.

The Swede case in the A.I. version is a pretty good one already. I'm not sure just what you could do with it other than create a shorter version and that is pretty well covered by the .308 and mauser case.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that the 25 would ever sell like the 6.5, but there is a definite niche there for a smart bullet manufacturer. A 130-140 long range type would sell a lot of rifles; Mostly custom, at least in the beginning.

The companies haven't made a change since like 1969, way before we got crazy about 6.5's.
The .277's got better because of demand from the streets. Custom bullets, custom barrels etc. Small time.
It only took the big's about 50 years to legitimize the .25-06, in the second 50 nothing. One of many reasons they file bankruptcy.
Any way time to give Rich his thread back.

Just FYI, I would do a 25 in a heart beat if someone came out with a bullet first! I think it would be particularly good in the SST or SS.

I was just about to get up with you about a 257SS. A few years back I ask about a few 25 cal wild cat builds. You suggested a 257SS. Now that I'm back to working good and have my finances under control. If you're needing a test dummy for a 25SS, let me know about a price and time frame. I'm a sucker for the 25's....

The 25saum parts are at a smith now...I know its been a few years. Will update after its finished.

No, no factory rifles I'm aware of with faster than a 1:10". That's been industry standard since the beginning. The 115 Berger is the only bullet they offer...Pretty pathetic if you ask me. Now you see why us 1/4-bore guys are always bitching about our lack of bullet options... .22, 243, 264, 277, 284, 308, 338...All have high-BC long range offerings from every brand. See anything missing? The .257 and .323 (8mm) markets were the sacrificial lambs left behind on purpose by the industry. And it's obvious...And dumb. They want to push the 6mm, 6.5mm, and .338 markets for competition shooters, but there's NO .257 comp shooters because nobody offers any LR and comp-worthy .257 bullets. It's plain and simple. You can't shoot what they don't make. Make it, and it will become a big thing again. Like Field of Dreams... "If you build it...They will come."

If companies would get behind it, cartridges like the .25-06 AI and a .257 Sherman would be serious LR shooting competitors, and LR hunting machines. I think the market is too vested in this 6.5mm craze, and is scared to produce it, because the outcome would overshadow the 6.5's until they get up into the 155-160 grain range, then the 6.5mm will beat it.

You will have to call and check to see if it's still in production, but Matrix bullets used to make a heavy .257 bullet. I think it was 135grs.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.