Sherman light (not for drinking)

Geez! Rhian is going to shoot my rifle first before I get to:D
Nice job Rhian! Maybe this old man will finally have something he can pack......Rich

Hey elk question on your barrel I'm building a light weight now and am on to barrels. I'm finding several contours from companies that are lighter than proof by just a touch. Problem is they get really thin so if I jump to A number 3 like you did the dia gets up to the same as the sendero proof and then is heavier. So I'm. Thinking of the really thin countour. Still want it to be moa at least hopefully better. I'm doing it in 6.5 creed. Also looking at the lighter barrels they seem to have a shorter chamber shank on the barrel. All are 2.5" to were the taper starts. Except brux they are 1.25" which would shave a bunch of weight and probably hoe they get them lighter. Pac nor also makes that shank as thin as 1.150" where most others are 1.20". If you get a second please let me know how you would make the lightest barrel. I have a thread started on this just need some help.

Hey elk question on your barrel I'm building a light weight now and am on to barrels. I'm finding several contours from companies that are lighter than proof by just a touch. Problem is they get really thin so if I jump to A number 3 like you did the dia gets up to the same as the sendero proof and then is heavier. So I'm. Thinking of the really thin countour. Still want it to be moa at least hopefully better. I'm doing it in 6.5 creed. Also looking at the lighter barrels they seem to have a shorter chamber shank on the barrel. All are 2.5" to were the taper starts. Except brux they are 1.25" which would shave a bunch of weight and probably hoe they get them lighter. Pac nor also makes that shank as thin as 1.150" where most others are 1.20". If you get a second please let me know how you would make the lightest barrel. I have a thread started on this just need some help.

I went with a #3 fluted because I did not want it so thin that it would heat up too quickly or whip. I also shortened to 21" because it is a carry rifle and I wanted it to be fast on target. A #3 in this length should give me some rigidity as well. The barrel WOULD have finished around 23 1/2" so we cut the shank off to about an inch, which gets rid of weight and then just trimmed the muzzle to make 21. I started out with a proof in mind, but this barrel is lighter and about 1/2 the cost. Of course you can save a little more if you thin down to a #2, but then it can't be fluted, so this was what I went with......Rich

Rich what would your thoughts be about cutting the shank down on the proof. Or what would you think a #2 or 1. I won't worry about heat cause I won't be running multiple shot strings. Just a one maybe two shots and light as I can without ha sing terrible groups.

Rich what would your thoughts be about cutting the shank down on the proof. Or what would you think a #2 or 1. I won't worry about heat cause I won't be running multiple shot strings. Just a one maybe two shots and light as I can without ha sing terrible groups.

Just in the normal fitting you'll have a certain amount of shank, I knocked an inch of Rich's barrel which left me with .946 for the threaded tenon and 1 inch of straight shank to support the chamber and barrel with full diameter barrel. There is little to no wiggle room with a carbon barrel, it is what it is!

OK boys and girls; here is why the 270 gets strong consideration! If I were building a long range rifle with a longer barrel, this would especially be appealing. I do think this rifle will be capable at 1000 though, if I wanted to. These ballistics are based on known quantities from the 6.5 and 7 with 26" barrels and reduced for a 22" barrel. The 270 is an educated guess based on what should happen with the same case. This would be Max or close to it.

MV moa 1000 10 mph/1000 velocity/1000 ft. lbs./1000
6.5 SS
140 hy.
.607 G1 3200 20.4 4.8 1889 1110

270 SS
170 Hy.
.703 G1 3030 21.6 4.3 1916 1386

7 SS
180 Hy.
.680 G1 2960 23.1 4.7 1831 1340

What do you think?

I think Berger down graded the G1 on the 170 gr to 0.662 but EOL sight says 0.703 still .

What Rhian said:D They wrap carbon fiber, on the proof, down pretty far as it is......Rich

Well, I finally got moved back from Ut. to beautiful North Idaho and picked up the finished "Sherman Light" from Bigngreen". He did an awesome job as usual! This thing is a feather compared to all my other rifles, and that is what I wanted. It has a #3 Brux cut to 21" and fluted, so it should shoot a little better than some of the lightweights. I had part of a box of 170 Bergers loaded with 57 grs. of RL26 ready to fire form, so I ran over to my friends alfalfa field to give it a go.
I should have paid more heed to Rhian when he said "she kicks a little" for the third time!!:D I took a bipod and shot prone with a rear bag. I fired a fouling shot first to see where I was on the target. After I regained consciousness, I splashed some cold water on my face to uncross my eyes, turned my hat back forwards, and proceeded to shoot a few more; but first I stuffed my leather gloves in my binocular case to place on my shoulder, which was partially paralyzed! Rhians words were ringing in my ears "SHE KICKS A LITTLE"!
I fired a few more to get zeroed in and then shot 3 shots over the mag speed to check velocity. It averaged 2773 with a load which is probably 5 grs. under max. With RL26 I get exactly 50' per grain, so doing the math, I should be able to reach around 3020'. Not bad for a 170 with a 21" barrel. The group was around 1 1/2" which I felt was pretty good since I was closing my eyes before pulling the trigger:D
Once I get my reloading equipment out of the boxes and put together a makeshift bench so I can load a few more, I will report back. My initial thoughts are (I may put a Titanium brake on it)......Rich
0904161901b.jpg
0904161901b.jpg

0904161901aa.jpg

...My initial thoughts are (I may put a Titanium brake on it) ......Rich........

Nice looking rifle.........Suppress it!

I've been playing with a lighter weight lately. I haven't shot much without a brake for a long time, OUCH!

I've been wondering what they've changed in the powder because I definitely don't remember getting bounced like that from an -06.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.