Which 6.5 Sherman - Sherman Short or Sherman Tactical

werth338

Looking to get a barrel spun up for Blaser R8 in 6.5. Pretty set on one of the Sherman 6.5's with the only other one being considered is 6.5 SAUM. Going to see most time as a range gun and for antelope or deer in the field. Probably looking at Berger 153.5 Long Range Hybrid or 156 EOL with a 7.5" twist. Seems the Sherman Short is probably better choice for heavies based on website and plan to put N570 under them.

Based on the above, is the Sherman Short or SST the better option? I know website says 2,500 round life for SST but haven't seen anything on barrel life for 6.5 SS so would appreciate any insight on that as well.

I would see what the COAL is with the bullet you want to shoot and the cartridge. Then see if your magazine can accommodate it. I think the Sherman short requires more magazine room to not encroach on the powder. That would likely make the decision for me as my mag box on my Curtis custom mag only allows 2.975. Just something to check to help you decide.

I went 6.5 Sherman first and then 6.5 SS with Wyatt box. Both shooting 156 eol get it done. I'm on to a 7 max now, they are addictive.

I will admit that for now, my favorite is the L/A 6.5 Sherman.

I went 6.5 Sherman first and then 6.5 SS with Wyatt box. Both shooting 156 eol get it done. I'm on to a 7 max now, they are addictive.

I want a 7 Max, pretty sure it will be my first Sherman. What's the COAL on your 6.5 SS with the 156?

Interesting, much shorter than I suspected it would be. Thank you for the info good sir

What kind of barrel life were you seeing with L/A and/or SS? Given the platform I am using, I don't have a preference on short/medium/long actions.

David.....are you sure on that coal? I think the SS with std .175 FB is a little over 3"
Yes, that's what I'm measuring now and what I shot last fall. It's accurate to my chamber, unless I really screwed up my length to lands with the 156.

Looking to get a barrel spun up for Blaser R8 in 6.5. Pretty set on one of the Sherman 6.5's with the only other one being considered is 6.5 SAUM. Going to see most time as a range gun and for antelope or deer in the field. Probably looking at Berger 153.5 Long Range Hybrid or 156 EOL with a 7.5" twist. Seems the Sherman Short is probably better choice for heavies based on website and plan to put N570 under them.

Based on the above, is the Sherman Short or SST the better option? I know website says 2,500 round life for SST but haven't seen anything on barrel life for 6.5 SS so would appreciate any insight on that as well.

i have a 6.5SS in blaser r8
Love it, coal will not be an issue, using the 300 wing mag magazine

i also have a 25sst blaser.. awesome stuff

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.