Barrel: Not Varmint, Not Sporter.. #5? Light Palma?

hawk45

Want to get a lighter barrel to replace my 1" thick 26" straight taper bench barrel, something I can still use at the range and won't overheat, but something that is still portable yet get good velocity, maybe 24" long. I've been looking at all the barrel maker sites and seems like maybe something in a #4, #5 or a light/med palma may work. I know all the makers are a little different, but just looking to cut some weight.

Problem is looking at the numbers I'm having a hard time visualizing what they are going to look like. Does anyone have a #4, #5 or light, medium palma barrel setup they could post a few pics of? This would be a big help. I hate tossing out $500 for a barrel not knowing how it's going to look.

Thanks,
Hawk

I am supposed to be picking up my new rifle early next week.
Its an #5, fluted, 24" long. Also, my BIL is picking his up at the same time. His is also a fluted #5, 26" long. As soon as I get them in my hands, I will post a pic.
Looking forward to it..

Hey Time Killer,

I think a fluted #5 contour would be a great idea for a 24" barrel in a lightweight varmiter type set up.

Here is a pic of my 6.5 creedmoor with a #5.5 broughton. Its 26" in length but is still pretty handy and doesn't feel like a handful...so a couple inches shorter would be just that much better.

IMG_1312_zpseb4df2d1.jpg

005_zps1b3ee083.jpg

Hope this helps.

photo1-9.jpg

photo2-8.jpg

photo3-7.jpg

photo5-4.jpg

Ok, took me a little longer to get my my rifle. I finally had time to go pick it up Saturday. Went right out and starting shooting. It's super light and handy feeling. Mine is a 6.5 Creed. #5, fluted in a Mc A3 sporter stock. This thing balances very nicely.
I was getting an average of 2666 fps with factory ammo. I suspect I can speed that up when I get some dies. I will put together another report when I go out to the ranch again.
If you are wanting my opinion on a lighter barrel...this is the way to go! :D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts