Sherman light (not for drinking)

elkaholic

I am in the process of building a light carry rifle (for my wife):D built on my SS case design. Now that I am getting older, all these 9-10 lb. rifles I have are starting to feel like 20 by days end. I will be selling a couple to gather up the funds for this build. I have a PARTIAL list of components that I will list, but I am looking for suggestions along the way. This thing is going to be LIGHT! The platform for the build will be a Lone Peak Arms Titanium action.

Lone Peak MBE4 titanium/mag bolt face/Wyatt cut Remington clone (16 oz.)
*Brux #3 chrome moly, fluted 22" with barrel lug (might go 20") (36 oz. )
Manners EH-8 stock (shorter stock will compliment short barrel) (23 oz.)
Lightweight bottom metal, mag box, etc.?? (could go blind ADL?) (4 oz. )
Jewell trigger (3 oz. )
Titanium brake contoured to barrel (2 oz. )
Swarovski 4-12/BR reticle (bought on closeout for $500) (15 oz.)
Talley solid alloy mounts (2 oz. )

TOTAL WEIGHT (6 lb. 5 oz.)

*was going to go carbon fiber but this is lighter and far less $$$

I welcome any corrections, comments, suggestions, etc.
You may have noticed I did not specify caliber. That is because
I don't know yet:D
It could be 6.5, 270, 7, or even 300 SS?
Which would you guys do?
The idea is a carry rifle that will be capable of 800 yard shots if necessary,
My scope reticle will accomplish this.

Sounds like a sweet pack rifle...With that light of a barrel profile, wouldn't a 24" barrel give you the performance edge, with only a few more ounces of weight?

I think the 7mmSS would have the best recoil/performance ratio...

Well I vote 270, more BC, less recoil, more awesomeness gun)A Berger 170 could be crrraaazzyy awesome besides I can't bring myself to build myself a 7mm so you need a 270 reamer set up and Roy needs one also, that's my final vote:D

OK boys and girls; here is why the 270 gets strong consideration! If I were building a long range rifle with a longer barrel, this would especially be appealing. I do think this rifle will be capable at 1000 though, if I wanted to. These ballistics are based on known quantities from the 6.5 and 7 with 26" barrels and reduced for a 22" barrel. The 270 is an educated guess based on what should happen with the same case. This would be Max or close to it.

MV moa 1000 10 mph/1000 velocity/1000 ft. lbs./1000
6.5 SS
140 hy.
.607 G1 3200 20.4 4.8 1889 1110

270 SS
170 Hy.
.703 G1 3030 21.6 4.3 1916 1386

7 SS
180 Hy.
.680 G1 2960 23.1 4.7 1831 1340

What do you think?

Comparing apples to apples, wouldn't it be more accurate using the new 7mm 195 Hybrid to the 270 170 Hybrid, since as you decrease in case neck diameter, so does case capacity (slightly), but pressure increases?

I'm not stating anything, I'm asking...

Comparing apples to apples, wouldn't it be more accurate using the new 7mm 195 Hybrid to the 270 170 Hybrid, since as you decrease in case neck diameter, so does case capacity (slightly), but pressure increases?

I'm not stating anything, I'm asking...

I think the 170 and 180 compare better. I think if you used the 195, it would swing it even farther toward the 270 in everything but ft/lbs. There is only .007" difference in bore size.......Rich

270 gets my vote as you may have guessed :) I'm getting 3060 with my 24" barrel and the 165 Matrix in my 270 SS. I will have my 170 bergers in hand monday and will get you some info ASAP.

I think the 170 and 180 compare better. I think if you used the 195, it would swing it even farther toward the 270 in everything but ft/lbs. There is only .007" difference in bore size.......Rich

That is a fair point. The 180 Hybrids do probably compare the best.

With your 24" 7mm SS you were getting some incredible velocities with the 180 Hybrids. I have been reading along, and am seriously impressed. I've never been one for the shortmags, but if I were to build one, a 26" sendero contour 7mm SS would be it.

The 7mm 195 is sweet but it's dropping so much velocity on these cases smaller than a RUM class capacity that I'm seeing guys sticking with the 180's so ya an apples to apples would be 170 to 195 is so far as using the highest BC for cal but your not going apples to apples in potential from this chambering while maintaining the COAL the SS is designed to work in.
As we work up in cal and as the bullets get longer on the highest BC end we start having to dip into the case capacity to maintain the SS over all length so as we go up from the 6.5 it becomes more and more of a balancing act between velocity and BC.
Honestly this 270 bullet could be the perfect blend of 6.5 velocity and 7mm BC.

That is a fair point. The 180 Hybrids do probably compare the best.

With your 24" 7mm SS you were getting some incredible velocities with the 180 Hybrids. I have been reading along, and am seriously impressed. I've never been one for the shortmags, but if I were to build one, a 26" sendero contour 7mm SS would be it.

Actually, my 7 SS has a 26" barrel and it topped out around 3070' with the 180's.

270 gets my vote as you may have guessed :) I'm getting 3060 with my 24" barrel and the 165 Matrix in my 270 SS. I will have my 170 bergers in hand monday and will get you some info ASAP.

Ryan.....As I mentioned to you earlier, my guess is you will likely be able to launch the 170's as fast as you do the 165 Matrix because you will probably have a shorter bearing surface. Case in point: 210 vld vs 215 Hybrid......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.